• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

La Mesa Coffee UOC meet

Firemark

Thursday 2/10/2011 starting at 5pm. Outside coffee sip at Cosmo's Coffee Cafe 8278 La Mesa Blvd.
Once again everyone do your own checks on 1000ft zones. I will be inviting La Mesa PD's watch commander to join us, he is pro 2A and wants to meet and greet.
Please chime in if your gonna make it.

If for needs be the backup locale would be Starbucks at 8138 La Mesa Blvd.

Firemark

For everyone who is wondering the google map entry that shows up in La Mesa as
La Mesa Spring Valley School at 4750 Date ave. is a 2 story business office and houses the district offices. There are no classes or student body there, nor are they zoned for students/school, no fire drill plans.

I recon'd it today and confirmed.

Gundude

I called GunDude around 5:30 and he didn't pick up so i didn't come.
How'd it go?

It's really hard to answer your phone when you leave it in the cup holder in your truck. :banghead:

It went fine. Kinda funny. Five or six La Mesa LEO's came by and did an (e) check. They were very nervous. The one that pulled Josh's weapon was actually shaking. I suspect this was their first (e) check. They only checked the ones who had empty mags in the well. All in all, good training for them.

Born2Lose

What an exercise in futility. You take the time to meet with the Chief and explain the nuances of UOC and invite him. He in turn has 4 officers waiting for you guys so they can exercise their "right" :rolleyes: to inspect your firearms. If only you guys had left the magazines out you could have avoided this. ;):rolleyes: Did they think it was an elaborate criminal mastermind scheme to meet with the chief about UOC then pull a bait and switch and show up LOC? What are the odds they won't e-check us next time? Did the Chief ever show for his "meet and greet"?

Firemark

What an exercise in futility. You take the time to meet with the Chief and explain the nuances of UOC and invite him. He in turn has 4 officers waiting for you guys so they can exercise their "right" :rolleyes: to inspect your firearms. If only you guys had left the magazines out you could have avoided this. ;):rolleyes: Did they think it was an elaborate criminal mastermind scheme to meet with the chief about UOC then pull a bait and switch and show up LOC? What are the odds they won't e-check us next time? Did the Chief ever show for his "meet and greet"?

Ease up Born2Lose, first of all, the watch commander could not make it to the meet but did brief his people on the event, this was known before we got there. The fact that 9 officers were there is not becasue they were requested or needed to be there. NO one on this Department has ever done an E check and their most current training bulletin is over 2 years old and cut/pasted from some of the poorly written ones by other departments. Those officers elected to be there and show up to learn what to do and how to handle UOC. In a city of maybe 60,000 people, im pretty sure 9 officers was the bulk of the entire second shift.

Many of the officers were nervous, to the point of hands shaking, this to them was an unknown and never dealt with before, and many of them like many sleeping americans believe that propoganda line "Guns = Bad Guys". I think 6 comfortable relaxed and understanding UOC'rs who didnt give them a ration of S!!!, or a difficult time probably did more to help than hurt our cause.

The positives from this encounter...No one was asked for ID, the officers ASKED to do the check politely they didnt force or become dominating, they did not cuff or retireve ID illegally from anyone. The inspecting officer communicated clearly what he was going to do and was willing to listen to our comments. No real lecturing or soap boxing.

Negatives, drawing one weapon and sweeping it past several people, not understanding the difference between a right and legal authority, E checking semi autos with clips and avoiding revolvers and no mags in wells. (some of us felt un-wanted ;).

So I will be in contact and give a report to the Lieutenant on the Department and hopefully this will lead to any further encounters being better for everyone.

The other positive from this outing was that we now have 3 Businesses that the OWNERS are aware of what we are and do and have invited us back to patronize their establishments.. that would be Por Favor mexican restaurant (3 locations in SD county). Kosmos Coffee, and directly across the street a used bookstore owner who is pro gun and is learning how he can carry in public and in his business.

Definitley NOT an exercise in futility.!!!

Born2Lose

That is your opinion Mark and i respect that but in my opinion, 9 Officers? It just seemed like a bait and switch on the La Mesa PD part.."come out for a meet and greet" turned into 9 officers waiting for you when you arrived and nervously hovering around.
The watch commander knew the laws on UOC (didn't you give him a bunch of training info?) but still sent every cop on the force to check on law abiding citizens? I hope no crimes were committed while they were hassling you guys.

I dunno..maybe i just need some lunch..maybe i should just shut up and be happy..i mean it is Friday.