• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Gun safe wins...this time.

Spearhead

"A Kenly area home sustained $20,000 in damage Friday night when someone hooked a chain to a gun safe and dragged it through the wall of a doublewide mobile home. Sheriff Steve Bizzell said the homeowner, Scottie Johnson of Bagley Road, was away from his residence taking care of a sick relative, when someone went to his residence and broke in. The suspects tied a chain around a gun safe capable of holding 100 guns, and ripped the safe through the wall of the home, pulling it to a nearby field. The suspects were unsuccessful in breaking into the safe, but were able to steal cash, jewelry, and some guns that were not in the safe. The incident left a 20-foot wide hole in the front of the home. "

Bagley%20Road%20Break-In,%2002-07-11CR.jpg

Nice how the newspaper provides his name and where he lives and the fact that he STILL has some guns. I suspect there's a lot of robbers in the area that appreciate this tidbit of info.

edrolee

i don't think that anyone thinks news(papers or tv) have an over abundance of thought or care for the consequences of what they publish these days
they just want the hit story that increases their circulation regardless for public safety

i know some people will say that this is news and part of the public record and they have a right to publish it, and they do have a right to publish it but they also have a right to publish every single birth, death, speeding ticket, lawsuit filed, and many other things that you and i will never read or see in their coverage..... but i digress

chiefjason

My neighbors is bolted to the frame. They would have to tow the entire place away.

Seems to me he made a choice. Between the safe and the guns he could have probably bought a house. Hmm, house and a few guns or trailer and a lot of guns?

gravedigger

He would have done better to dig a hole in the ground big enough for the safe, a narrow stairway and some standing room, line it with block or concrete and put a weather tight roof over it. A safe that is loaded and below ground level is one heck of a challenge to steal!

mekender

100 Gun Safe!!! That is a big damn safe... No way that the people that did this didnt know him.

RegalNC

No Home Insurance!!!

Why would a person have such a large gun safe and no home insurance! Good luck with the repairs. Time to sell off some items.

Last edited:

elixin77

my question is, if he had a 100 gun safe, how was the trailer even able to support its weight? Unless its just a sheet metal 'filing cabinet' safe, not an actual 1" thick steel safe...

Bearfoot

I agree with you elixin77. I have lived in various mobile homes/trailers. The flooring underneath is not the sturdiness people think it is.

FYI on insurance. Not real sure about homeowner's policies, but renter's policies are unique. I have renter's insurance. It only covers my household belongings, i.e..tv, computer, furniture, clothing, I am sure you get the picture. Firearms are a different story. A "Personal Articles" policy is needed for firearms and other things not specifically covered under the standard policy mentioned above.

Spearhead

I've seen videos where they have thrown a chain around ATMs that were bolted down and drove off with them. Not sure a house would've been anymore durable than a mobile home. Unless you use "U" bolts that wrap around the joists, you're still just drilling a hole into the floor joist and putting in a lag bolt. Technically it doesn't matter if you're drilling into a 2x4 or a 12x12, a lag bolt holds the same.

Sure looks like they took the whole damn front of the home off tho.

Last edited:

jerz_subbie

when i win the powerball........ i'm going to have my house built with a bank like vault off my bedroom for my weapons/valuables storage

I've said the same. I'll have a master bedroom sized gun room that is actually a vault and safe room.

I can't fathom why this guy would live in a trailer but have a 100-gun safe!!! Last time I checked guns weren't cheap!

edrolee

i can understand why the guy might live in a mobile home, you don't NEED a stick bult home to have a good house, and when/if the gov't falls and the SHTF if you have the arms to survive then you may ride out the storm

also collecting anything can become addictive (including firearms) it's a matter of priorities