• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Sb126

phreak

Why you would need to qualify with a revolver and semi auto is still odd to me, but at least its a step in the right direction. Maybe in another 5 years it will read; Qualify with any firearm to carry any firearm.

DVC

City? Who wants to live in a CITY?, Nevada, USA
Uir

Why you would need to qualify with a revolver and semi auto is still odd to me, but at least its a step in the right direction. Maybe in another 5 years it will read; Qualify with any firearm to carry any firearm.

It's not odd, it's recognition of the difference between revolver and semi-auto. People should know how to safely load, unload and handle the type of pistol they intend to carry.

Having it as a REQUIREMENT is wrong. Shooting and safe gunhandling should be taught in the schools.

njeske

I believe there is also a bill that is being proposed for constitutional carry and college carry!
There is. BDR556 from Senator Gustavson was pre-filed on October 29, 2010. I don't believe it's been turned into an official bill yet, so there's not an AB number for it. Hopefully there will be soon.

In my opinion, we should all support both of these bills. Assuming we get constitutional carry, there will probably still be a permit process for reciprocity purposes. I'd rather not have the permit process require me to qualify with all the guns I may decide to carry when I travel out of state.

Last edited:

Nevada carrier

While I support both concepts, something to keep in mind is that if we no longer have to qualify on each semi-auto, we might loose reciprocity with states that are not of the same mindset.

DVC

While I support both concepts, something to keep in mind is that if we no longer have to qualify on each semi-auto, we might loose reciprocity with states that are not of the same mindset.

Are there any states like that except us? The Utah CCW covers many states, and they have no such requirement (they have any revolver and any semi-auto).

JimMullinsWVCDL

State Researcher
There is no other state (other than Commiefornia, which will never enact a reciprocity law voluntarily) that requires qualification with each gun. Arkansas and Texas have qualification provisions similar to what this bill proposes for Nevada and New Mexico limits one to carrying a gun no larger than the caliber and type qualified with. However, no state conditions reciprocity on qualifying with each gun. Most states that have some form of reciprocity law in effect wither unilaterally honor all other states' licenses or provide for the establishment of reciprocity with any willing state without any other conditions.

timf343

Campaign Veteran
Looks like Assembly Bill 143 just got printed today. Same as SB126, but better, because it also includes a provision that your identity is now confidential (whereas the NV Supreme Court ruled last year that it wasn't!)

SB126 heads to the Senate Judiciary Committee for a hearing on Wednesday morning 02/16/2011.

chrsjhnsn

reciprocity should be coming in a yr or two, another Thune type of amendment which will say that those of us with home state ccw's can carry in any other state, meaning we can carry in San Francisco on our NV permit but a San Franciscan would still be kind of screwed because while he could get a non resident ccw he still couldn't carry in San Fran. I cant wait to hear the weeping and wailing of Blamberg & ilk when I carry legally in NYC and Los Angeles.

WRT to the semi auto tune up, it was blocked by Bernie Anderson & he got termed out so it should be good to go, as far as college carry? I really hope so, I know a really attractive gal that has been working at night at UNR and she has been stalked but even though she is 35 years old and has a ccw and carries everywhere she is treated the same as a freshman goofball, that God forsaken (campus ccw ban ) law has got to go

Gordie

WRT to the semi auto tune up, it was blocked by Bernie Anderson & he got termed out so it should be good to go, as far as college carry? I really hope so, I know a really attractive gal that has been working at night at UNR and she has been stalked but even though she is 35 years old and has a ccw and carries everywhere she is treated the same as a freshman goofball, that God forsaken (campus ccw ban ) law has got to go

You should talk to her about attending the hearing for the bill. Her's would be a powerful testimony and hard to refute. It would be hard to justify why the state says that she is responsible enough to carry a weapon on the west side of N. Virginia St., but not on the east side.

DVC

You should talk to her about attending the hearing for the bill. Her's would be a powerful testimony and hard to refute. It would be hard to justify why the state says that she is responsible enough to carry a weapon on the west side of N. Virginia St., but not on the east side.

Concur.

Women are force multipliers in the victims'-rights movement.

chrsjhnsn

when/where is the the hearing?

Nevada carrier

Yeah, he must have stopped reading when he got to the first time semi-automatic was mentioned in the bill and instantly raised his Brady objection flag. Did he even know what they were talking about? He said, “Automatic weapons are for killing people.“ Well yes, did you think we were going to create guns that tickle an attacker into submission? Asinine comments like this amaze me.

He went on to say, “Nevada has to step up to the plate. We are no longer the Wild West.“ I agree. All things considered, things were pretty safe back then. More people died from disease than by gunshot. The myth that the streets were rampant with gun fire non-stop during American westward expansion is something that is greatly exaggerated by Hollywood. While I don't have the exact figures to quote, I'm reasonably certain violent crime is much worse today than it was in the 1880's. So yes, Nevada does need to step up to the plate. We need Constitutional Carry and Campus Carry as well as this long overdue overhaul of the CCW qualification process.

If I could have my way, every adult capable of safely handling a weapon who is not mentally ill or a convicted felon/domestic abuser or habitual user of drugs/alcohol would be issued a firearm suitable to their ability within 6 months of their 18th birthday. They would be issued a holster and ammunition as well as a cleaning kit and would be required to keep this firearm maintained, loaded and on their person whenever they are in public. They would be given 50 self defense rounds every 2 years; replacement self defense ammo on an as-needed basis. Each month they would receive 200 rounds of range ammo and get a day of range time at a state owned range in their county.

Those wishing to purchase their own firearm may do so, but must surrender their publicly issued firearm to their county armory. Those who choose to own their own firearm would be eligible for an tax credit each year, but are responsible fore their own maintenance range and ammunition expenses. Anyone having malfunctions with their publicly issued firearm may visit their county armorer for repair service at any time.

Furthermore, a requirement for receiving a high school diploma would be one semester in safe handling and maintenance of firearms, and an additional semester of firearms marksmanship and proficiency.

I know i'm not a fan of entitlement programs, but I'm down for this simply because we're all entitled to self defense.

DON`T TREAD ON ME

There is. BDR556 from Assemblyman Gustavson was pre-filed on October 29, 2010. I don't believe it's been turned into an official bill yet, so there's not an AB number for it. Hopefully there will be soon.

In my opinion, we should all support both of these bills. Assuming we get constitutional carry, there will probably still be a permit process for reciprocity purposes. I'd rather not have the permit process require me to qualify with all the guns I may decide to carry when I travel out of state.

Not here to nit pick , but just so someone does not mis-title a letter, I beilieve that Gustavson is a senator now.

njeske

Not here to nit pick , but just so someone does not mis-title a letter, I beilieve that Gustavson is a senator now.
You're right, he is. In my defense, he was an Assemblyman when the bill was pre-filed since the the November elections hadn't taken place yet. The BDR list still references the author as "Assemblyman." Nevertheless, my post has been updated.

Last edited:

DVC

The guys in the T-shirts could have cost us, just for not being dressed properly.

Someone who is representing an organization should be in suit and tie (with or without coat), someone representing himself should be in "business casual" and NOBODY should wear anything that could be considered "Bubbawear" (T-shirts, hats, cammies, etc).