• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Unexpected Response from a Business

Born2Lose

My wife and i are both heavily tattooed. I have been going to the same tattoo artist for 12 years. I'd consider him my friend..we've been at each others houses many times. I thought i knew him but i guess not. My wife had an appointment to finish her rib piece on Saturday at noon. I did my research on the shop and found it to be well clear of GFSZ's. Knowing that my artist was very pro 2A and conservative i figured he'd embrace me exercising my right. Boy was i wrong. My wife went in before me while i geared up and unbuckled my daughter from her car seat. Before i even got my pistol holstered she came out and said she mentioned that i was carrying to him and he freaked out. He was livid. So i never even left the van and unholstered and locked up my pistol. When i eventually came in he came out and discreetly thanked me for not carrying. I didn't pursue it any further since it's his business and his decision. It just blew my mind that i can walk into albertsons, walmart, target, starbucks, etc and it's no problem but a tattoo shop is verboten. Now that i think back on it..he is really big on changing the perception of heavily tattooed people. He wants people to realize that not just criminals have tattoos. Which is funny because that is exactly what us UOCers are trying to do except with firearms. So by furthering his agenda it diminishes our objective.

Oh well lesson learned. I will be sending him some UOC info so maybe at some point in the future he'll be comfortable with it.

bushwacker

yeah I had something like that happen to me at a truck spa in phoenix and when I decided to cancel the service (cause I choose the 2a over a clean truck) and left out the door the general manager met me at the truck to ask why, I said that I served in military to preserve the constitution and others are being injured and dying for it as we speak. yes they have right to monitor guns on their property and I also have rights and duty not to support a business that has an anti-constutional rule. he agreed for he had just gotten out of the marines and that it was ok for me to open carry in his building and that he intends to remove the sign that was in the front ( wasn't one on the drivers entrance on the back) he was very nice and I am now looking forward to repeat business. So are you still doing business with the tatoo shop?

Born2Lose

It might be something completely different, such as a restriction by his landlord, or he is a felon that doesn't want to be even remotely close to a gun...something like that

Yes i will still go to him. He's my friend and artist.
No he is not a felon and neither are the other 2 artist.
I honestly believe it is the perception he has a problem with. He wants families with kids to feel safe in his studio.
I'm sure some (ignorant) people think i'm a scumbag felon but i've never even been arested and am a Christian. I paid for all my work with sweat.
I think he just doesn't want to scare potential customers away.

ConditionThree

State Pioneer
I dont find this reaction particularly surprising.

In addition to being confronted by gun enthusiasts, open carry has brought a friendship to an end for me. It is really irrelevant as to whether or not the people you encounter are gunowners or antis, they have equal potential to reject practical exposed carry.

Army

And in contrast, my inker expects me to not only wear my guns, but that I had better bring in anything he might want to buy off me :)

He as plenty of firepower nearby while he's open for business.

Copper Coffin in Santa Maria.

sharkey

Where was your weapon while you were driving? Does your state have some asinine transportation law?

Before i even got my pistol holstered she came out and said she mentioned that i was carrying to him and he freaked out. He was livid. So i never even left the van and unholstered and locked up my pistol.

mjones

I just looked up that asinine law. That's a stupid place for your weapon. It belongs in your holster on your side. You guys have a lot of work to do.

That's perfectly legal here in CA too...

However, it can become an issue with regard to California's "Gun Free School Zones" as defined in CA PC 626.9. The short summary is that for 'normal' folks unless you also have a CCW a handgun must be 'enclosed in a secure locked container' while within 1000 feet of a school.

Last edited:

CenTex

Not to be nit-picky, but it's 1000' :dude:

That's not being nitpicky. That other 900 feet can get you in the slammer. It's good you caught it, and the poster ought to correct it, so no person will see it and find himself/herself in trouble for not knowing better.

Born2Lose

That's the SECOND account I have read today of a wife going into a place and running her yap about her husband carrying.

Sounds like a "trend" that needs to be "nipped".

The artist is my friend as well as the owner of the business. He is a good enough friend that i could have mentioned it before we went and avoided the whole situation. He was discreet about it with her and with thanking me. He wants heavily tattooed people to be viewed as mainstream and not outlaw. I think in his mind it does damage to that goal to have heavily tattooed people hanging around in his parlor with guns. They're shop almost looks like a high end salon. Clean, bright, lots of (their) paintings on the wall.

MedicineMan

The artist is my friend as well as the owner of the business. He is a good enough friend that i could have mentioned it before we went and avoided the whole situation. He was discreet about it with her and with thanking me. He wants heavily tattooed people to be viewed as mainstream and not outlaw. I think in his mind it does damage to that goal to have heavily tattooed people hanging around in his parlor with guns. They're shop almost looks like a high end salon. Clean, bright, lots of (their) paintings on the wall.

Understood.

But there are TWO posts on here saying their wife had "loose lips".
There was no reason for a firearm to have been mentioned in any manner.

It sounds like they need to be reminded of OPSEC concerning what is going on.

And as a biker, i can totally relate to the "perception" thing.
Never mind that my "colors" are Veteran or FF/LEO related, it just "looks bad" so people get all nervous.

Last edited:

Badger Johnson

It might be something completely different, such as a restriction by his landlord, or he is a felon that doesn't want to be even remotely close to a gun...something like that

Though the OP said 'he's not a felon', that was the first thing I thought of. Now, I have to ask the OP how does he -know- his friend isn't a felon? It doesn't matter since he's made peace with the situation, but I'd be willing to bet there's some kind of hidden agenda and best not to carry (or not to patronize) in that store.

Remember you're in a place that could be held up, and you're disarming yourself.

Born2Lose

Though the OP said 'he's not a felon', that was the first thing I thought of. Now, I have to ask the OP how does he -know- his friend isn't a felon? It doesn't matter since he's made peace with the situation, but I'd be willing to bet there's some kind of hidden agenda and best not to carry (or not to patronize) in that store.

Remember you're in a place that could be held up, and you're disarming yourself.

I know he's not a felon because he buys and owns pistols legally. I've known him for over a decade. This shop is on the edge of La Jolla and Pacific Beach in a very nice neighborhood. If i refused to shop or go to places where i wasn't allowed to be armed i'd have a very short list of places i could go. This man has done around 200 hours of tattooing on me..i'd say i've spent some time with him. :D