Thread: Gerald Ung's trial

Gerald Ung's trial

His trial for the crime of self defense was supposed to start today in Phila. If anyone went to observe, please post what happened. I don't want to depend on the media for reality.

Quote Originally Posted by bill gray View Post
    His trial for the crime of self defense was supposed to start today in Phila. If anyone went to observe, please post what happened. I don't want to depend on the media for reality.
    I found this docket over here, in this PAFOA thread. Airgumpp said "[t]o all interested, Jury selection finished at 16:52 today, Continueance for 2/8/2011[.]"

Opening arguments start this morning

according to the Phila Inquirer. Location should be Rm 304, Criminal Justice Center,
    13th and Filbert.

Hope someone attends and posts some blow by blow accounts

So whats the story about this guy?

Short version

Muscle head jocks (3 or 4) fueled on (they thought) Bullet Proof Beer throw a wolf pack attack on a little guy. He is legally armed, retreats backwards, warns them off, pulls his gun but the attackers are not deterred. One asks the dumbest qustion of all time. "Who are you gonna shoot?" Muscles closes on little guy, throws punches instead of high tailing it and gets six bullets for an answer as they both go down.
    Search "Gerald Ung" on the Phila. Inquirer site. You can see video of the attack as there was a surveillance camera trained on the spot.
    Penna Firearms Owners Assoc (PAFOA) has a LONG thread on it going back to 12-09 with lots of analysis

Ung testifies on Monday

Would be nice to hear from a first-hand observer. Can someone attend? I will reimburse your subway fare round-trip.

When I first heard about this, I wrote him a note of support (c/o his lawyer).
    What on Earth is the prosecutor thinking??
    It's on video that a gang attacked him, he warned them off, backed away, etc.,
    AND he was licensed to carry,
    AND he called for an ambulance after the guy was down.
    Why waste the time & $$$ going after the guy for what was clearly self-defense?
    Quote Originally Posted by MLK, Jr
    The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort & convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge & controversy.
    Quote Originally Posted by MSG Laigaie
    Citizenship is a verb.
    Quote Originally Posted by Proverbs 27:12
    A prudent person foresees the danger ahead and takes precautions.
    The simpleton goes blindly on and suffers the consequences.
    Quote Originally Posted by Proverbs 31:17
    She dresses herself with strength and makes her arms strong.

Quote Originally Posted by MKEgal View Post
    When I first heard about this, I wrote him a note of support (c/o his lawyer).
    What on Earth is the prosecutor thinking??
    It's on video that a gang attacked him, he warned them off, backed away, etc.,
    AND he was licensed to carry,
    AND he called for an ambulance after the guy was down.
    Why waste the time & $$$ going after the guy for what was clearly self-defense?

was he open carrying? because if he was, then it wouldn't even matter if he was licensed to or not. i think that this is completely ridiculous. from what i have heard/heard about this case, it will be thrown out. and gerald und should sue from fees that he has had to pay to waste his life going through this stupid trial!

Observer at Ung trial

Go to PAFOA, discussion forums, regions, Philadelphia, "Gerald Ung trial coming up...", last page. A post gives a link to remarks from a local attorney who is attending as an observer. Note the remarks about NOT feeding ideas to the DA which can be used against Ung

Quote Originally Posted by bill gray View Post
    Go to PAFOA, discussion forums, regions, Philadelphia, "Gerald Ung trial coming up...", last page. A post gives a link to remarks from a local attorney who is attending as an observer. Note the remarks about NOT feeding ideas to the DA which can be used against Ung
    Some of us prefer not to visit PAFOA for several reasons.
    1) covering up(removing) the Pittsburgh cop killer's posts who was also a member on stormfront.
    2) General anti-homosexual remarks

Feel free to post the information here on Opencarry.org

Quote Originally Posted by ehewitt1990 View Post
    was he open carrying? because if he was, then it wouldn't even matter if he was licensed to or not. i think that this is completely ridiculous. from what i have heard/heard about this case, it will be thrown out. and gerald und should sue from fees that he has had to pay to waste his life going through this stupid trial!
    A LTCF from PA or any recripocal state is needed to OC or CC in Philadelphia.
    I can tell you've been Rady8ed, you have a nice glow about you.

Quote Originally Posted by rady8um View Post
    A LTCF from PA or any recripocal state is needed to OC or CC in Philadelphia.

oh...i must of missed the philly part...thanks for clearing that up.

So, What's the latest on Ung?
    "If I know that I am headed for a fight, I want something larger with more power, preferably crew-served.
    However, like most of us, as I go through my daily life, I carry something a bit more compact, with a lot less power."
    (unknown 'gun~writer')

Remington 1911 R1 (Back to Basics)
    SERPA retention or concealed...

"Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not." ~Thomas Jefferson
    (Borrowed from "The Perfect Day" by LTC Dave Grossman)

Quote Originally Posted by msc 45acp View Post
    so, what's the latest on ung?
    Not guilty!!!

Quote Originally Posted by tfred View Post
    http://www.philly.com/philly/news/11...cmpid=41144277

Temple student not guilty in Old City shooting

By MENSAH M. DEAN
    Philadelphia Daily News

Gerald Ung, the Temple University Law School student who shot a man six times on an Old City sidewalk last year, was found not guilty by a Philadelphia jury this afternoon.

The verdict means the jury of six men and six women believed Ung when he testified yesterday that he acted in self-defense. The jury began deliberations at 11:32 this morning.

Ung, 29, was charged with attempted murder, aggravated assault and possession of an instrument of crime for shooting Edward DiDonato Jr. shortly after 2:30 a.m. Jan. 17, 2010.
    according to an earlier report, the jury went out just before noon. Sounds like they barely had time to review all the evidence. This tells me it was not even close. The philly da's office should be reprimanded for even thinking about bringing this case to trial.

Tfred

That was really fast!
    Wonderful news.
    Calls for some dancing bananas: :::
    Quote Originally Posted by MLK, Jr
    The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort & convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge & controversy.
    Quote Originally Posted by MSG Laigaie
    Citizenship is a verb.
    Quote Originally Posted by Proverbs 27:12
    A prudent person foresees the danger ahead and takes precautions.
    The simpleton goes blindly on and suffers the consequences.
    Quote Originally Posted by Proverbs 31:17
    She dresses herself with strength and makes her arms strong.

Let's hope he can get some civil redress against these clowns.