• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

FYI Kimber Owners

edrolee

according to the N&O it was the PRO II & ULTRA II

http://www.newsobserver.com/2011/02/06/971004/ales-pricey-guns-prove-unreliable.html

the article also implies Kimber says they stand by their products and are willing to fix them (asl long as under warranty)

however if there are enough that are getting through QC that a significant percentage of the 150 units purchased are defective then that sounds like buying a kimber, in my opinion, is a crap shoot

aosailor

I knew I should have become an ALE when I had the chance!!! I own a Kimber Pro Carry II, but its chambered in 9mm and didnt cost me anything near $1000! but Its a helluva gun!

RayBurton72

First, every Kimber I have ever heard of, carries a life-time warranty.

Second, this is the same agency that seems to feel every agent needs an AR-15 in their car, then cannot account for how many they have and to whom they were issued to.

As for jamming - every Kimber manual says to put 500 ball rounds through them to break them in.

Furthermore, anyone with a 3-inch barreled 1911 knows, they can be picky about the types of HP ammo they will tolerate (especially if they haven't been broken in much).

usamarshal

All I know is I've put every type of .40 round down range with my HK USP and its never jammed...if you want the best get you a HK and/or German made gun...I'm not hatin on American/Commie firearms...I'm just saying....:rolleyes:

edrolee

i've never had a FTF or FTE with my taurus 1911 using Winchester PDX1, Remington umc ball , blazer ball, and federal champion (even during the break-in period)

besides FTF and FTE is nothing compared to broken sites and safeties falling off

bag12day

May be an overly simplistic comment but most of these agents have no idea how maintain a high quality tight 1911. Field stripping and cleaning are a must during the breakin period. Many people say there shouldn't be a "break in" for something that costs over a grand but all the guys at my range and many LEOs that I shoot that own Kimbers have had no issues as long as the Kimber is kept clean and is shot 5 to 600 rounds before expecting a reliable product.

Ratt402

My purpose for putting this post up was not to set up a debate on who makes a better gun, who takes better care of their weapons or any kind of mud-slinging.
It was strictly to pass on information about a possible defect and for owners of the handgun listed might want to check into it as so not to get hurt or cause any undo harm to someone else.
THAT ALL!
My ONLY concern was about the safety of my fellow gun owners, not pointing fingers or starting anything. Its that simple.

Semper Fi!

papa bear

i found this story interesting when i first heard it. blame it on my distrust of government agencies. i wondered how much of this was just wanting new glocks

Gunslinger

This same agency also swapped out their Sig 552 rifles, proclaiming them unreliable, essentially.:uhoh:

And OT, but check out the sweet deals the officers get when they buy their old weapons after new duty weapons are procured- $1

ALE's pricey guns prove unreliable
http://www.newsobserver.com/2011/02/06/971004/ales-pricey-guns-prove-unreliable.html

Yeah. Everyone knows SIG makes unreliable firearms. Or could the shooters be morons? Let's see which I think...Every close tolerance built 1911 requires breakin. My SIG Commander length and full size both needed about 400 rounds before completely reliable. The original 1911 Governments were so reliable specifically because they were built to loose tolerances, like an AK-47. You can't have your cake and eat it too. I'll do the breakin and enjoy the accuracy that I paid for afterwards.

NCSteveh

Two words

"Limp wrist"

Only an idiot would procure a compact 1911 as a duty weapon for agents that probably just shoot enough to qualify each year. A full size 1911 would have made all the difference in the world. I own a Pro-Carry and have not had a single malfunction with it when I shoot it, give it to my wife however and she will be lucky to get through the first magazine without a stovepipe.
It usually comes down to training and it doesn't look like the ALE agents received what was needed, that is the true waste of our tax money not the weapons.

rotorhead

It goes beyond reliability of any given guns the ALE purchases. The trail is clear and points to a corrupt organization that has a history of procuring what they feel are the finest weapons on the market for two reasons: They have to justify an ever shrinking budget by making the case for more expensive weapons, and to set themselves up to purchase the high quality guns they procure at a massive discount for private ownership every few years or so.

Like any state or federal agency, projected budgets are overblown every year so that each little entity gets a piece of the pie in ways they see fit. If the ALE were to not spend any part of their budget, they would get less the next year. It's just the way the system works. Government agencies and departments always ask for more than they need, and always spend more than what they get so that they can ask for even more the next year. After all, if they didn't spend everything from one year, they would get less the following year as it would be seen as they didn't need as much.

I can guarantee that the weapons in question are not the only top of the line products that this department has at their disposal due to the way budgets are projected and allotted.

Any technical difficulties were probably minor and or user induced, although any mechanical thing can certainly fail. The defects are a by-line to the larger story of exposing a corrupt practice used by a corrupt organization.

The glaring employment of the "good ol' boy" network is clearly evident in this, and in many other stories of corruption at the hands of state and federal government agencies.

Now, why is there a changing of weapon types and manufacturers every few years?

The answer is simple: They almost always sell every single older weapon to their own agents and associates when they are replaced. The changing of products gives these people a variety of weapons to purchase for themselves at huge discounts every few years. That is why you won't see this agency use any single type of gun year after year after year. Why would they keep selling each other the same old Sig every few years when they can mix it up with Kimbers and Colts and any other cool gun that hits the market that will be cool to own after they are "worn out" from 2 years of service, which includes almost no actual shooting either on the range or during their actual duties.

Remember all of this the next time the Governor tells you your state income tax return will be late again this year. Any idea of why the state is too broke to pay you back your own money?