• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

cpl suspension

kryptonian

anybody know if the state of michigan can or would suspend your CPL for back taxes, child support, or any fines owed for anything? i ask because i do owe some back taxes and wouldn't surprise me if they did it. i know they do for child support but have they expanded that? i would hate to be in a LEO situation to have them come back from the patrol car with "well, well, well...guess what...."

budlight

If your CPL is suspended, the gun board is supposed to send you a letter to your last known address stating it is suspended and requesting the CPL be returned.

It happened to my buddy. He got a letter in the mail, it stated his CPL was suspended due to a recent arrest, and that he had to return his CPL. However it was all a mistake and they confused him with someone else. He has a common name and was able to resolve the issue over the phone.

DrTodd

Michigan Moderator
anybody know if the state of michigan can or would suspend your CPL for back taxes, child support, or any fines owed for anything? i ask because i do owe some back taxes and wouldn't surprise me if they did it. i know they do for child support but have they expanded that? i would hate to be in a LEO situation to have them come back from the patrol car with "well, well, well...guess what...."

Please provide Citation/law/news article etc. for underlined statement above.
I know that some states do this (Texas), but I was under the impression that Michigan could only suspend for those acts specifically in the CPL law which would have made you ineligible in the first place.

Last edited:

Bronson

Just a hypothetical....

If you don't pay your child support could the authorities charge you as a "disorderly person?"

750.167 “Disorderly person” defined; subsequent violations by person convicted of refusing or neglecting to support family.

Sec. 167.

(1) A person is a disorderly person if the person is any of the following:

(a) A person of sufficient ability who refuses or neglects to support his or her family.

And if you get charged as a disorderly person would the gun board use that to deny or revoke your CPL?

(i) The applicant has not been convicted of a misdemeanor violation of any of the following in the 3 years immediately preceding the date of application unless the misdemeanor violation is listed under subdivision (h):

(xii) Section 167 of the Michigan penal code, 1931 PA 328, MCL 750.167 (disorderly person).

Bronson

DrTodd

Michigan Moderator
Just a hypothetical....

If you don't pay your child support could the authorities charge you as a "disorderly person?"

And if you get charged as a disorderly person would the gun board use that to deny or revoke your CPL?

Bronson

For violating a support order, you don't get charged with "disorderly", you get a "contempt of court" citation and, if the amount owed is huge or you have ignored the aforementioned punishment, you get charged with "felony non-support". Neither is under the disorderly statute.

http://www.michigan.gov/dhs/0,1607,7-124-5453_5528_29251---,00.html

DrTodd

Michigan Moderator

Please provide a citation for the statement that Michigan can suspend a CPL for non-payment of child support.

kryptonian

Please provide a citation for the statement that Michigan can suspend a CPL for non-payment of child support.

i meant to say that DRIVER'S LICENSE will be suspended for child support issues. don't know of any attachment to CPL hence my original question. sorry for lack of clarification.

DrTodd

Michigan Moderator
off the top of my head, this is as close as i could come up with for that:
http://www.stclaircounty.org/offices/foc/other_remedies.aspx

License Suspension

Under certain circumstances various licenses, (including driver’s, professional, hunting and fishing) may be suspended if so ordered by the Court.

Each of those licensing acts most likely either explicitly states that the license can be suspended or courts have decided this to be the case, but I could be wrong.

Since this is a website devoted to issues surrounding OC , and since Michigan's firearm law makes OC w/ a CPL even better... thereby providing that the two issues are often intertwined, I don't have the inclination to research each of the aforementioned licensing acts and set of administrative orders to find the legal basis for suspending other licenses. The question remains: Has this or could this happen to a CPL holder? If so, please provide a reference.

I don't mean to sound like an :cuss: about the citation issue, but what I find issue with is generally knowledgeable members not only believing something, but then writing it here for others to start believing it too.

I understand that we are all responsible to research the law if we choose to carry, but it also behooves us to not state unequivocally what we may think as "fact" until we do a little research ourselves. I have been guilty of this myself and have appreciated other members calling me on it... and I hope that no one is offended or thinks I'm just trying to quarrel.

Unlike other pro-2A websites that I have visited, the standards here regarding legal issues are high and bring about a certain sense of "quality" that is rarely found.

Yes, it does go both ways so if you find a citation... please post. :) I just haven't seen it.