Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: OC'd a new toy today

OC'd a new toy today

Ani got herself a Bersa Thunder .380 W/ Crimson Trace. I was proud of her and happy to buy it for her. In response, she bought me this!!

I LOVE MY WIFE!

Specs:
    Beretta PX4 Storm .45 ACP (That's right folks, my FIRST 45!)
    MANUFACTURER: Beretta USA
    TYPE: Rotating-barrel semiauto
    MAGAZINE CAPACITY: 9 and 10 (It came with one of each magazine)
    BARREL LENGTH: 4 inches
    OVERALL LENGTH: 7.625 inches
    HEIGHT: 5.5 inches
    WEIGHT: 28.5 ounces
    PRICE: $569.

The secret to a successful marriage. The couple that shoots together, usually argues over who shot better! hehehe! Don't expect something philosophical from me
    Last edited by Deleted_User; 02-11-2011 at 12:01 AM. Reason: Adding Gun P0rn!

+1 on the choice of Crimson Trace grips.

Its mandatory for all my carry pistols, because when the **** hits the fan, its all about the accuracy.

Quote Originally Posted by FMCDH View Post

Its mandatory for all my carry pistols, because when the **** hits the fan, its all about the accuracy.
    It was important for me to make sure Ani's first gun had a Crimson Trace.

+ She is a new gun owner.
    + She has only fired a handful of times
    + She has a few issues acquiring the target.

This will help her build confidence, acquire faster, and in a SHTF scenario, she'll (maybe) out-shoot me!
    Last edited by Deleted_User; 02-08-2011 at 02:22 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Goose View Post
    It was important for me to make sure Ani's first gun had a Crimson Trace.

+ She is a new gun owner.
    + She has only fired a handful of times
    + She has a few issues acquiring the target.

This will help her build confidence, acquire faster, and in a SHTF scenario, she'll (maybe) out-shoot me!
    Its certainly is a great training aid, but its just plain excellent to have under the stress of a SD situation.

I tend not to use it much at the range except to rapid fire with it from time to time, as it kinda feels like cheating.

I have no such hang-ups when my (or anothers) life is in the balance.
    Last edited by FMCDH; 02-08-2011 at 02:28 AM.

I knew I shouldn't have left you alone @ Sportsmans.

If it works for you, that's all that's important.

Congrats for stepping up to a real caliber

Great little pistol.I have one and bought one for my daughter. Goose and Ani came by this morning and along with Bookman did some shooting at Champiom prior to my surgery this afternoon.My doc after I came to told me he shoots there all the time.
    Last edited by DEROS72; 02-08-2011 at 03:33 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Goose View Post

The secret to a successful marriage. The couple that shoots together, usually argues over who shot better! hehehe! Don't expect something philosophical from me
    OR:

When each person in the marriage is armed they think twice before starting an argument. Kind of an extension of "An Armed Society is a Polite Society".
    "If I shoot all the ammo I am carrying I either won't need anymore or more won't help"

"If you refuse to stand up for others now, who will stand up for you when your time comes?"

But what do you do when the batteries go dead?
    "If I shoot all the ammo I am carrying I either won't need anymore or more won't help"

"If you refuse to stand up for others now, who will stand up for you when your time comes?"

Quote Originally Posted by amlevin View Post
    Faster if you have it on your gun. Much slower if it's the only thing on your gun and the battery goes out. Good thing most people don't JUST have a laser on their gun.

Bad thing for a new shooter as they tend to develop a dependence on the laser instead of learning breathing, trigger control, proper grip etc...
    Great tool for one who has mastered the basics.

I agree with trig Dr

Im not a expert, but it makes logical pount as far as begining goes. The first hand gun I baught was a 4 inch EAA .357 and had it fitted with Houge w/laser. I went to Wade's and started shooting. A verny nice LEO who was there with his boy came over whwn I was reloading, and looking my target over ( mind you I was brand new to shooting) he gave me some basic pointers and most were things I had read and seen on youtube. He suggested getting "cumffy" with the basics before using the laser. It forced me to create a "musle memmorie" I have now switched from wheel guns to autos for daily carry. When I got my first auto (the FEG that's my avitar) and it being a blowback OS I found myself going back to the first time at the range w/ the nice officer! Just my 2 or 3 pennies.. Oh and I have REALLY been wanting to get that exact PX-4!!! Nice choice brother!

P.S. sorry for run-on sentences....first cup of coffe in progress...
    FEG~PA 63......i call it the noisy cricket....little gun huge friggin BANG**

Quote Originally Posted by amlevin View Post
    Umm...same as anyone else, iron sights and instinct.

(see post above about not training to rely on laser)

The chances of the laser dying a the exact time you need it is pretty slim considering the long runtimes they have, but stuff happens. I change the batteries in my carry grips once every year regardless.
    Last edited by FMCDH; 02-08-2011 at 01:03 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Trigger Dr View Post
    Bad thing for a new shooter as they tend to develop a dependence on the laser instead of learning breathing, trigger control, proper grip etc...
    Can't disagree with that.

I recommend them to anyone for carry as long as the install of them doesn't throw the shooting grip off (XD? Glock?), but certainly will warn new shooters away from using them to practice or train.

Thankfully, they all have an easy to use off switch.

Can't disagree with that.

I recommend them to anyone for carry as long as the install of them doesn't throw the shooting grip off (XD? Glock?), but certainly will warn new shooters away from using them to practice or train.

Thankfully, they all have an easy to use off switch.
    +2 Her range day starts with the laser OFF! We then will have some shooting with it. I must agree with Trigger and the above posters. Advice always welcome guys! Thanks

My only question to Goose is...Does Ani have any sisters??!?
    Lower the crime rate by lowering the criminal survival rate!
    When people say 'God Bless America' I'm sure He says, "I gave you Texas!"

SPLORK!!! That's hilarious.

No, but she has a brother that acts like a bitch! Does that count?
    Last edited by Deleted_User; 02-09-2011 at 12:30 AM.

I must agree on my brother comment. Can anyone recommend something I can put on "the sights" so I can use them. I have a hard time focusing between them.

Quote Originally Posted by Ani View Post
    I must agree on my brother comment. Can anyone recommend something I can put on "the sights" so I can use them. I have a hard time focusing between them.
    bright nail polish
    Live Free or Die!

Sounds good I'll go shopping tomorrow and get some.

Quote Originally Posted by Ani View Post
    Try contrasting colors such as white rear, and another bright (neon type) color front.

Green/Yellow or Orange/Yellow seems to be somewhat popular among night sights for contrast.

Quote Originally Posted by Trigger Dr View Post
    Being dependent upon a laser I agree is not a good thing, I always bring my front sight up to eye level (not the other way around) and then the back sight, if I see the laser on the target then great.

Lasers still required the same shooting skills as iron sights ie breathing, trigger control and proper grip.
    • Being prepared is to prepare, this is our responsibility.
    • I am not your Mommy or Daddy and do not sugar coat it but I will tell you simply as how I see it, it is up to you on how you will or will not use it.
    • IANAL, all information I present is for your review, do your own homework.

Quote Originally Posted by BigDave View Post
    Being dependent upon a laser I agree is not a good thing, I always bring my front sight up to eye level (not the other way around) and then the back sight, if I see the laser on the target then great.

Lasers still required the same shooting skills as iron sights ie breathing, trigger control and proper grip.
    The one big advantage in SD situations is being able to shoot from odd angles and cover where sight alignment isn't possible, or taking the time to position the body to do so would be impractical.

The one big advantage in SD situations is being able to shoot from odd angles and cover where sight alignment isn't possible, or taking the time to position the body to do so would be impractical.
    Even with this ability, try shooting from those odd angles when practicing, one will find breathing, grip and trigger control still play a large part and it does become more difficult even though the videos show how easy it is.

The laser has advantages and disadvantages as well, while like you say it can introduce more positions but only good in low light to darkness and in dusty situations the beam can lead back to you, so practice placing your trigger finger high along the side to blank out until needed.
    • Being prepared is to prepare, this is our responsibility.
    • I am not your Mommy or Daddy and do not sugar coat it but I will tell you simply as how I see it, it is up to you on how you will or will not use it.
    • IANAL, all information I present is for your review, do your own homework.

Quote Originally Posted by BigDave View Post
    Even with this ability, try shooting from those odd angles when practicing, one will find breathing, grip and trigger control still play a large part and it does become more difficult even though the videos show how easy it is.

The laser has advantages and disadvantages as well, while like you say it can introduce more positions but only good in low light to darkness and in dusty situations the beam can lead back to you, so practice placing your trigger finger high along the side to blank out until needed.
    O heck ya, those guys in the CTC promo videos have trained to make it look easy. Add a bit of creative editing and one might be lead to believe that the laser can overcome all poor habits and training.

Personally, I do about an 80/20 training split, sights to laser, mostly, shooting quick draw/rapid fire from the hip.
    Last edited by FMCDH; 02-09-2011 at 01:56 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by BigIrish View Post
    Im not a expert, but it makes logical pount as far as begining goes. The first hand gun I baught was a 4 inch EAA .357 and had it fitted with Houge w/laser. I went to Wade's and started shooting. A verny nice LEO who was there with his boy came over whwn I was reloading, and looking my target over ( mind you I was brand new to shooting) he gave me some basic pointers and most were things I had read and seen on youtube. He suggested getting "cumffy" with the basics before using the laser. It forced me to create a "musle memmorie" I have now switched from wheel guns to autos for daily carry. When I got my first auto (the FEG that's my avitar) and it being a blowback OS I found myself going back to the first time at the range w/ the nice officer! Just my 2 or 3 pennies.. Oh and I have REALLY been wanting to get that exact PX-4!!! Nice choice brother!

P.S. sorry for run-on sentences....first cup of coffe in progress...
    Should I ever get north (I am on vacation 20-28 Feb) I'll let you blow some rounds through it!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast