• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

NRA Proposes Change To Idaho Gun Law

jimd_21

Very disappointed in the responses from the Blackfoot Police and the Bonneville Sheriffs. And Disappointed that none of the Idaho Legislatures has picked this up and got it introduced. Seeing alot of other states getting this going but Idaho has not yet???????? I have personally sent letters to my legislatures and others outside of my district that were refereed. Not happy to be and Idahoan today.

http://www.localnews8.com/news/26782346/detail.html

By Marissa Bodnar
POSTED: 6:15 pm MST February 7, 2011
UPDATED: 6:22 pm MST February 7, 2011

IDAHO FALLS, Idaho -- The National Rifle Association, or NRA, says the citizens of Idaho should be able to carry a concealed weapon without a permit.
Blackfoot police called it a "horrible" idea Monday morning, and the Bonneville County Sheriff's Office has concerns. But the NRA said every person should have the right to defend themselves whether at home or in public.
John "Ski" Szulczewski has sold guns at his popular Idaho Falls shop for more than 20 years, and he's loved every minute of it.
“I think it’s great,” said Szulczewski. “I think everybody should have one.”
And now, the NRA is proposing that every person should also have the right to carry it without a permit.
“Crime being as indiscriminate as it is, people are just as likely to be attacked outside their home as they are inside,” said Andrew Arulanandam, director of NRA public affairs. “The right to defend oneself shouldn't be luxury you have to purchase.”
But $50 and a one page form is what a permit costs in Bonneville County. And that's only if you get clearance from the state.
“We at least know their background is clear,,” said Sgt. Jeff Edwards with the sheriff’s office. “We know they've got mental capacity that makes them able to do the right thing at the right time.”
Edwards said there are currently 5,384 active permits in the county, but allowing everyone to carry concealed will create more threat to society and law enforcement.
“You don't know if that person had a fight wit their wife or a bad day and you may be the trigger that sets them off.”
Edwards did concede one benefit: that the change could prevent a person from being a victim. It's why Szulczewski is passionate about his job.
“If you're walking around with a gun and someone wants to rob you and they see that gun, there’s going to be second thoughts there.”
The sheriff's office said there's been a spike in permits since the Tucson shooting. Szulczewski also said he's had unbelievable sales recently. They say people are definitely more concerned for their safety, and also could be acting before any legislative changes.
Senator Denton Darrington said he'd only heard of the proposal in passing. So far no word on whether any legislators are backing it.

Last edited:

aadvark

Constitutional Carry is what Our ForeFathers InVisioned under Our Constitution!
The Idea is already being Mulled in: Montana, New Hampshire, New Mexico, Utah, AND Wyoming.
Constitutional Carry is already Law in: Arizona, Alaska, AND Vermont.

Gunslinger

Very disappointed in the responses from the Blackfoot Police and the Bonneville Sheriffs. And Disappointed that none of the Idaho Legislatures has picked this up and got it introduced. Seeing alot of other states getting this going but Idaho has not yet???????? I have personally sent letters to my legislatures and others outside of my district that were refereed. Not happy to be and Idahoan today.

http://www.localnews8.com/news/26782346/detail.html

By Marissa Bodnar
POSTED: 6:15 pm MST February 7, 2011
UPDATED: 6:22 pm MST February 7, 2011

IDAHO FALLS, Idaho -- The National Rifle Association, or NRA, says the citizens of Idaho should be able to carry a concealed weapon without a permit.
Blackfoot police called it a "horrible" idea Monday morning, and the Bonneville County Sheriff's Office has concerns. But the NRA said every person should have the right to defend themselves whether at home or in public.
John "Ski" Szulczewski has sold guns at his popular Idaho Falls shop for more than 20 years, and he's loved every minute of it.
“I think it’s great,” said Szulczewski. “I think everybody should have one.”
And now, the NRA is proposing that every person should also have the right to carry it without a permit.
“Crime being as indiscriminate as it is, people are just as likely to be attacked outside their home as they are inside,” said Andrew Arulanandam, director of NRA public affairs. “The right to defend oneself shouldn't be luxury you have to purchase.”
But $50 and a one page form is what a permit costs in Bonneville County. And that's only if you get clearance from the state.
“We at least know their background is clear,,” said Sgt. Jeff Edwards with the sheriff’s office. “We know they've got mental capacity that makes them able to do the right thing at the right time.”
Edwards said there are currently 5,384 active permits in the county, but allowing everyone to carry concealed will create more threat to society and law enforcement.
“You don't know if that person had a fight wit their wife or a bad day and you may be the trigger that sets them off.”
Edwards did concede one benefit: that the change could prevent a person from being a victim. It's why Szulczewski is passionate about his job.
“If you're walking around with a gun and someone wants to rob you and they see that gun, there’s going to be second thoughts there.”
The sheriff's office said there's been a spike in permits since the Tucson shooting. Szulczewski also said he's had unbelievable sales recently. They say people are definitely more concerned for their safety, and also could be acting before any legislative changes.
Senator Denton Darrington said he'd only heard of the proposal in passing. So far no word on whether any legislators are backing it.

Edwards is a dick. Just think: if everyone in ID could be carrying a gun, they would be as good as cops. Can't have that. Of course, the fact is you'd need less cops. That would be a huge plus. Although the Dunkin' Donuts would all take a hit...

timezoneguy

I just read were Denny's was charged $43 million to care for a customer shot/disabled while eating at a Kent Wa. store . Maybe, just maybe, if customers shot and killed the puke who committed this horrible crime dirt bags would think twice. Gun control would not do anything more than make law abiding citizens softer targets. Enhance the penality for a felon carrying a gun. 30 years w/o parole for carrying a gun while a felon, is a start. Enforce the laws we have, allow legal citizens to carry w/o a permit. I don't see any blood flowing accross the border in AZ, Vermot or Alaska

Baptistboy

Background checks and carry your own Hogleg anyplace

"You don't know if that person had a fight wit their wife or a bad day and you may be the trigger that sets them off.”
Edwards did concede one benefit: that the change could prevent a person from being a victim. It's why Szulczewski is passionate about his job."

The same could be said about the police or a registered gun owner. We don't if johnny law is angry, to much coffee or whatever. The Academy that the police offerer derives his power from that of his citizenship and not by special training or a series of hoops he jumps through. I think the same argument the private citizen. By virtue of my citizen ship in the the nation I should be able to carry my weapon any place at any time unless the owner of private property declines to have one carry it concealed or open on his or her property. If one has not lost their rights as a citizen the right to carry is very clear.

Utah's law allowing one to carry a concealed weeon in ones own car without a permit has not raised the level violence even 1%. There is a greater reason why law enforcement wants to control the carrying and I am afraid to contemplate those reasons. Maybe the seeing of M16's and quasi battle dress on the police may have something to say about severed relationship between citizen police and the accepting of federal funds to fund the addition of new officers which changes the characteristics of local control of police power. There is no constitutional provision for the federal govern meant to impinge on local control by funding aid for more officers.

These are not supermen and their emotions get out of control just like mine and yours. Citizens get unreasonably searched, detained and frequently brutalized. Of course they do not want an armed citizen. Why who knows what might happen.

carracer

This was picked up and introduced early this year. I believe it passed the house but died in senate committee due to 3 of the 5 committee members, rinos. One of them was McGee the dui truck stealer from canyon county. Not sure, but, I think at least one other was from Canyon county also. Another factor was the emotional plea from Bart Davis to kill the campus carry which died at approximately the same time