• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Is The Tobacco Company Restaurant in Richmond OC Friedly?

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
im having (early) valentines dinner at the tobacco company on saturday night with the lady, do any of you guys know if they are OC friendly?

I've heard mixed reviews and I haven't been there for years.
The city just implemented a host of requirements for every place that has a dance permit in the city because of crimes including a murder, near the Tobacco Company.

I don't recall weapons being mentioned, but they do require increased security...so...While it may be fine, I'd expect some resistance.

That said, a group of us had lunch just across the street on Lobby day. All of us were carrying including Djepper with his AR pistol, and not a word was said.

The new regulations were offered by Jones and eight council members in response to late-night shootings in the Bottom and other violence on Broad Street earlier this year. The ordinance establishes a definition for a public dance hall and requires venues to obtain a $100 annual permit that can be revoked after an administrative hearing if problems arise. The city also is looking at new zoning regulations for nightclubs.
Council members said the ordinance would promote public safety and support legitimate clubs and promoters while discouraging "fly-by-night" operators.
"If we're going to be a tier one city, we've got to have a vibrant and safe nightlife," said Councilman E. Martin Jewell, who had expressed reservations as the ordinance was being drafted.

Last edited:

wylde007

i will OC, my car will be nearby as i am driving so if need be i can lock it up and come back. i will let you all know how it goes. thanks for the responses guys
Never, never, never.

If you are told you cannot have an OC weapon on the premises, take your business elsewhere.

The Bottom is the last place I would want to take a chance being seen placing a firearm in a car and then leaving it unattended.

Nothing is worse the potential hassle that could cause.

kenny

The Tobacco Company (owner/management) is about as liberal as you get. The Tobacco Company is actually located in the Slip (12th & E Cary) area as opposed to the Bottom a few blocks away and east of 14th Street.

MSC 45ACP

Never, never, never.

If you are told you cannot have an OC weapon on the premises, take your business elsewhere.

The Bottom is the last place I would want to take a chance being seen placing a firearm in a car and then leaving it unattended.

Nothing is worse the potential hassle that could cause.

+1,000!!!!

NEVER leave a place to lock your firearm up. You're just asking the people that asked you to "lock it up" to steal it while you are in their place enjoying your meal.

You never know... your "waiter" may even be their "lookout".

ocholsteroc

+1,000!!!!

NEVER leave a place to lock your firearm up. You're just asking the people that asked you to "lock it up" to steal it while you are in their place enjoying your meal.

You never know... your "waiter" may even be their "lookout".

+1

Never do it. If they do not allow firearms, then you are not allowed in. I do not honor business like this.

I only been asked to leave one place, five months ago.

TFred

im having (early) valentines dinner at the tobacco company on saturday night with the lady, do any of you guys know if they are OC friendly?
As the others have noted, it is exceedingly unwise to follow the direction of anyone who insists you leave your firearm unattended.

What you have to do in situations like these is to decide ahead of time if the consequence (leaving the restaurant) is worth the principle. If I were on a cozy romantic date like this, I would choose to not encounter this situation by CC'ing.

There are times to take a stand, but you have to make sure those in your company are willing to stand with you. Valentine's Day may very well not be one of those times.

ETA: Or.. depending on your lady, it may be! If so... Salut! You've got a keeper! ;)

TFred

Last edited:

ODA 226

Years ago, some colleagues and I OC'd at the Tobacco Company and we were asked to cover our weapons or leave...I thought that was pretty messed up judging that one friend and I were clearly displaying a Deputy Sheriffs' Badges on our belts and my other friends were State Troopers and ABC Special agents, also with badges clearly displayed. :confused:

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
..I thought that was pretty messed up judging that one friend and I were clearly displaying a Deputy Sheriffs' Badges on our belts and my other friends were State Troopers and ABC Special agents, also with badges clearly displayed. :confused:

That's probably why. They didn't want to get a bad reputation:lol::lol::lol: