• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Deceptive signs..

Aaron1124

So throughout the last couple of days, I have visited a few different locations, and have found some deceptive signs.

1) I was at the Kent Station. On the digital message board that provides the time, a message scrolled across that read "No Illegal weapons or firearms allowed"

2) At the King County Public Health Office, there was a sign near the front door, with a picture of a firearm and a circle and slash through it, with chapter 1 of RCW 9.41.270. Then in between the firearm picture, and the RCW, it said something like "Unless allowed by law".

Way to go, King County. Try and fool the law abiding armed citizens that they can't have their lawfully carried firearm with them while doing business at these locations.

FMCDH

Misinformation, misdirection and hassle factor are the three most basic tools of the anti-gun minded when they cant directly effect carry and ownership by passing laws.

I think Americans for the most part have been wising up to those tactics, but as you have probably noticed if you have talked to the average Joe & Jane America, those tactics have taken their toll on the psyche of the citizenry.

I am constantly amazed even among my fellow military members, how many wrong perceptions are held. Half of these guys & gals even OWN guns, and they have no clue. Some of them even carry them in daily work life, but wouldn't know where to start for carry in daily life.

To get anyone carrying at all from among these folks is a minor miracle in and of itself.

We just have to keep on keeping on, and make sure we are twice as educated on the laws and facts then our strongest opponents.

amlevin

So throughout the last couple of days, I have visited a few different locations, and have found some deceptive signs.

1) I was at the Kent Station. On the digital message board that provides the time, a message scrolled across that read "No Illegal weapons or firearms allowed"

2) At the King County Public Health Office, there was a sign near the front door, with a picture of a firearm and a circle and slash through it, with chapter 1 of RCW 9.41.270. Then in between the firearm picture, and the RCW, it said something like "Unless allowed by law".

Way to go, King County. Try and fool the law abiding armed citizens that they can't have their lawfully carried firearm with them while doing business at these locations.

When a person decides to carry a firearm it's to their benefit to learn and understand the laws that will now affect them. There are a lot of people that merely "strap it on" and go out in public with a new sense of power. These people are not only a danger to themselves but a danger to others as well.

Those who take the time to learn the laws will know that these signs don't apply to them. Those that don't understand the laws about carrying a firearm are often better off leaving it home. In most cases they are the ones that end up displaying or shooting their firearm when they shouldn't which brings down heat on the rest of the informed and law abiding citizens.

I look at signs like this as if they said "No Spitting". If I'm not spitting, they don't apply to me.

sudden valley gunner

I disagree, laws should make sense, how is somebody who straps a firearm on and goes about their business any more or less dangerous than somebody who learns the "letter" of the law?

We need to get rid of laws that make a right a burden.

Aaron1124

I think he just meant, that if you carry a gun, you should familiarize yourself with the laws surrounding your gun. Still, not everyone is going to know the exact wording of the law, and these signs are going to be very deceptive to a lot of gun owners.

sudden valley gunner

I think he just meant, that if you carry a gun, you should familiarize yourself with the laws surrounding your gun. Still, not everyone is going to know the exact wording of the law, and these signs are going to be very deceptive to a lot of gun owners.

If so, why would he include "danger to himself and others".

And if it is because of the potential encounters that may occur, those encounters would be from people who themselves are trying to interpret or follow the current messed up laws.

amlevin

If so, why would he include "danger to himself and others".

And if it is because of the potential encounters that may occur, those encounters would be from people who themselves are trying to interpret or follow the current messed up laws.

The reason I included this statement is that there ARE people out there that don't know the "rules of engagement" for Self Defense. Some will wave a firearm around in order to intimidate others and a few of those get shot (therefore they were a danger to themselves). Others don't just wave them around to intimidate, they actually shoot people when they were not justified in doing so. Examples of both show up regularly in the news.

I agree that there are "messed up laws", the most egregious being RCW 9.41.270 which allows far too much latitude in interpreting what "warrants" concern.

There's no excuse for those that just feel they can "go for the gun" without having any understanding that they can only do so when they have a reasonable fear that their life, or the life of another, is at risk.

It is the responsibility of those who carry to understand the laws, like it or not.

As for signs, if they understand the laws then they know which signs apply. The ones that don't are just something that takes up good window space.

sudden valley gunner

The reason I included this statement is that there ARE people out there that don't know the "rules of engagement" for Self Defense. Some will wave a firearm around in order to intimidate others and a few of those get shot (therefore they were a danger to themselves). Others don't just wave them around to intimidate, they actually shoot people when they were not justified in doing so. Examples of both show up regularly in the news.

I agree that there are "messed up laws", the most egregious being RCW 9.41.270 which allows far too much latitude in interpreting what "warrants" concern.

There's no excuse for those that just feel they can "go for the gun" without having any understanding that they can only do so when they have a reasonable fear that their life, or the life of another, is at risk.

It is the responsibility of those who carry to understand the laws, like it or not.

As for signs, if they understand the laws then they know which signs apply. The ones that don't are just something that takes up good window space.

Those examples are rare, most people who "strap" on are doing so because they feel the responsibility of protecting life. Rules of engagement is a self defense class thing, not really a state law thing, I feel neither one is necessary for one to exercise their rights.

I will still stand by my position. I am not willing to infringe on liberty for the illusion of safety.

amlevin

Those examples are rare, most people who "strap" on are doing so because they feel the responsibility of protecting life. Rules of engagement is a self defense class thing, not really a state law thing, I feel neither one is necessary for one to exercise their rights.

I will still stand by my position. I am not willing to infringe on liberty for the illusion of safety.

By no means am I calling for any "infringement", merely pointing out that it's the individuals responsibility to learn what the law is that affects their carrying and using a firearm. That should be just common sense.

As for "rare", not according to our local paper. We seem to have an incident or two every week or two where some bozo waves a gun around while driving a car, while arguing in a public place, or as in recent times, shooting someone in the @$$ because he was panhandling in a fast food restaurant and wouldn't leave the "shooter" alone.

Every incident like these casts a shadow on those who legally carry and behave whether we like it or not.

sudden valley gunner

I see where you are coming from and I made sure to study up so I wouldn't get in trouble. (still didn't stop the cops though)

What I am saying is the laws it self should be common sense. I don't think we need a law that says waving your gun around like a bozo is illegal, that is common sense and is covered already under things like reckless endangerment.

And there is no law that says that, it is covered under Warrants Alarm which we can already see how some zealous prosecutors and cops and public officials are trying to twist that into meaning something it doesn't.

Just like there is no law that specifically says I can't wave my boiling hot coffee around in a throng of people, I would be liable for causing damage/harm to someone if I burnt someone. It is just common sense not to do it. That is my position.

But now you limit can arrest and detain/prosecute people for drawing weapon even when warrented (like Sigfan), if he didn't have a recording of what happened he would have been up S*&t creek without a paddle.

MSG Laigaie

Campaign Veteran
I support SVGs comment that laws should be "common sense". If a law is written as to not be understood by those who must obey it is not a law but an excuse for more lawyers.

sudden valley gunner

I support SVGs comment that laws should be "common sense". If a law is written as to not be understood by those who must obey it is not a law but an excuse for more lawyers.

Correct it should also just make sense, you should be able to strap on a pistol, and carry it everywhere in a responsible manner, without fear of breaking a law you didn't take time to read.