• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

LTE: Why all the guns?

TFred

Yawn. By the way, the FLS has changed their comment authentication to use Facebook, so anyone (well, anyone with a Facebook account) can now post.

Why all the guns?

I found myself agreeing with Nigel Goodwin's Jan. 20 letter about America's passion for guns. I have never understood the thinking of those who feel the need to carry a handgun. What are they afraid of?

In the many years I've lived in the U.S., I have never felt I needed a gun anywhere near me. Why do gun carriers feel differently?

Blah blah blah...​

Apparently letter writer is under the delusion that it would actually be possible to eliminate all guns from society, and should that prove successful, that violent crime would somehow disappear.

TFred

mobeewan

Yeah. England has pretty well made gun ownership impossible for almost everyone. They just forgot to ban swords, knives, clubs, bad behavior.........

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Yeah. England has pretty well made gun ownership impossible for almost everyone. They just forgot to ban swords, knives, clubs, bad behavior.........

As have the Australians - that isn't exactly working out well either.

ocholsteroc

Could not read pass, "have never understood the thinking of those who feel the need to carry a handgun. What are they afraid of?

In the many years I've lived in the U.S., I have never felt I needed a gun anywhere near me. Why do gun carriers feel differently?

"

I guess this guy lives in a bubble, and so should his article. Everytime I go out, I see some sort of shaddy character.. Like groups of teens just mumbling around in the store up to no good.

Last edited:

SFCRetired

Bear in mind that there people in this world who believe that, with the proper controls, we will all get along and that everything will be sweetness and light and that there will be no crime. Also keep in mind that there are people in this world who will always look for the easy way to get whatever they want and that the "easy way" usually entails preying on the weaker.

Then you have a third group; those who are realist enough to realize that the first group really wants to control everyone else and that the second group will never be controlled by anything other than the application of force. That is why we own and carry the weaponry that we do; to serve notice on both groups that we will defend both our rights and our lives.

We on this forum are, I sincerely hope, mostly of the third group. We are prepared to resist both the control of group one and being preyed upon by group two. I sincerely hope that we never become extinct in the United States and even more sincerely hope that our brothers and sister in the U.K., Australia, and Canada regain their rights as free men and women.

ocholsteroc

Bear in mind that there people in this world who believe that, with the proper controls, we will all get along and that everything will be sweetness and light and that there will be no crime. Also keep in mind that there are people in this world who will always look for the easy way to get whatever they want and that the "easy way" usually entails preying on the weaker.

Then you have a third group; those who are realist enough to realize that the first group really wants to control everyone else and that the second group will never be controlled by anything other than the application of force. That is why we own and carry the weaponry that we do; to serve notice on both groups that we will defend both our rights and our lives.

We on this forum are, I sincerely hope, mostly of the third group. We are prepared to resist both the control of group one and being preyed upon by group two. I sincerely hope that we never become extinct in the United States and even more sincerely hope that our brothers and sister in the U.K., Australia, and Canada regain their rights as free men and women.

Well you brought it up, I was going say it in my post. I hope we can get world wide carry some day, or in most countries. Yes a big laugh, but I hope... that people can understand guns save lives. Did you see the news today, US bound Oil tanker hi jacked. :banghead:

SouthernBoy

Western Prince William County, Virginia, USA
"I have never understood the thinking of those who feel the need to carry a handgun. What are they afraid of?

In the many years I've lived in the U.S., I have never felt I needed a gun anywhere near me. Why do gun carriers feel differently?"

I wonder if this person would still feel this way if they were the victim of an attack? Or maybe a family member or close friend or neighbor? I wonder if he has homeowner's insurance (obviously he does if he has a mortgage), or perhaps smoke detectors (again, pretty obvious), a fire extinguisher, or some other common items and tools one might find about. Why does it stop when we begin talking about the most important thing in his life.... his life? Why are people like this so ready to sacrifice their lives and those of others on the alter of what they perceive as contemporary urban thought?

Well the answer is simple. There are people in this country who just flat don't like firearms. They don't like them, they don't want them, and they feel they don't need them. But for them, it's not enough that they don't like them or want them or need them. They don't want YOU to have them, either. And no matter what you try to say or do, you are not going to change these peoples' minds. The only thing that stands a change of making them see reality, is reality; a violent attack upon themselves or someone who is close and/or dear to them. And even then, there will still be a few who will not only hold fast to their former convictions, but will actually deepen those convictions in the face of reality. These are the people who will never change and are the ones who most want to change things for us.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
"I have never understood the thinking of those who feel the need to carry a handgun. What are they afraid of?

In the many years I've lived in the U.S., I have never felt I needed a gun anywhere near me. Why do gun carriers feel differently?"

I wonder if this person would still feel this way if they were the victim of an attack? Or maybe a family member or close friend or neighbor? I wonder if he has homeowner's insurance (obviously he does if he has a mortgage), or perhaps smoke detectors (again, pretty obvious), a fire extinguisher, or some other common items and tools one might find about. Why does it stop when we begin talking about the most important thing in his life.... his life? Why are people like this so ready to sacrifice their lives and those of others on the alter of what they perceive as contemporary urban thought?

Well the answer is simple. There are people in this country who just flat don't like firearms. They don't like them, they don't want them, and they feel they don't need them. But for them, it's not enough that they don't like them or want them or need them. They don't want YOU to have them, either. And no matter what you try to say or do, you are not going to change these peoples' minds. The only thing that stands a change of making them see reality, is reality; a violent attack upon themselves or someone who is close and/or dear to them. And even then, there will still be a few who will not only hold fast to their former convictions, but will actually deepen those convictions in the face of reality. These are the people who will never change and are the ones who most want to change things for us.

Then there are those that want to control others and arguably the best way to control others is to disarm them - retaining that ability solely for yourself.

johnfenter

Minor, OT point...

"I wonder if he has homeowner's insurance (obviously he does if he has a mortgage),..."

Most mortgage insurance included in your mortgage payment is not to reimburse the mortgagee, but the mortgager. Check your policy; you may find to your dismay that the payee is the bank, not YOU. That's why they require it. If you want to protect yourself, you probably need to get an additional policy. Probably not what you had in mind as an example...

ocholsteroc

"I wonder if he has homeowner's insurance (obviously he does if he has a mortgage),..."

Most mortgage insurance included in your mortgage payment is not to reimburse the mortgagee, but the mortgager. Check your policy; you may find to your dismay that the payee is the bank, not YOU. That's why they require it. If you want to protect yourself, you probably need to get an additional policy. Probably not what you had in mind as an example...

I havn't had anyone rude ask me WHY YOU GOT A GUN? just nice questions, whats up with the gun? if I get some rude person, I know what to say..

Do you have insurance on you're car/house/life? they say yes to you, then you can say WHY? lol;)

Last edited:

AtackDuck

Fun, Fun, Fun!!

I have had a ball posting comments on this joker and his supporters (the fisk is mine). It's fun having all of the research and facts supporting you, right there on the web, especially when their arguments are nothing but emotionalisms and easily refuted "studies" and hyperbole.

SouthernBoy

Western Prince William County, Virginia, USA

Yes, I am aware of this. However, my homeowner's policy protects me and reimburses me and it is not a "special" or separate policy.

nuc65

Activist Member
I havn't had anyone rude ask me WHY YOU GOT A GUN? just nice questions, whats up with the gun? if I get some rude person, I know what to say..

Do you have insurance on you're car/house/life? they say yes to you, then you can say WHY? lol;)

I wouldn't use "Do you have life insurance?" it might just seem like a threat... but the other seem ok.

TFred

It's rather amusing when you think about it... This current administration has no problem with requiring all citizens to purchase health insurance, presumably to keep oneself healthy from disease and accident... but would certainly balk at the idea of requiring all citizens to purchase a firearm to keep oneself healthy from an intentional criminal attack.

The completely illogical thought processes of the liberal mind would be a fascinating study.

TFred