• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

48 million dollar award in case against dennys for shoot out!

Iron_Colonel

That is pretty silly. I agree, how could they have done anything short of metal detectors, patdown, or exray screening machines, etc. Pretty soon they'll be flying planes out of Denny's. Too bad there is no further definition of being "negligent" as well. Did she not call the police, help the victims that were shot, or not pull her own gun out and start shooting back?

It is a very unfortunate incident especially for the victims. But after reviewing this article here: http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/localnews/2009226210_apwadennyslawsuit1stldwritethru.html it sounds like the state should be sued for making the freeway, to which Denny's (and or the contractor that built it) should be sued AGAIN for being built so close to the freeway, then the contractor who built the Denny's, then the police department, the manufacturer of the gun, the manufacturer of the car that he drove away in, unless it was public transport then the PT system and the county/city should be sued again, whoever made his clothes, which is probably China, so China gets sued now too. I'm sure I'm leaving many entities out that should be sued, so flame away.

It is very silly to have a suit like that awarded to someone, despite the extremely nefarious activities that occurred. Is the guy that shot the place up being sued? He is probably suing Denny's too. It's very unfortunate something like this has to happen, but it's the world we live in. It could happen to anyone, anywhere. I don't mean to sound brash, but come on...

END_THE_FED

Denny's needs to install metal detectors and K-9 teams at all their locations.
Also all patrons should be required to submit to full body cavity checks as a condition of entry. If Denny's cared about safety, they would take these minor steps to protect their customers from events like this. The fact that they do not do this proves that they are completely responsible for this indecent.

I mean come on, they didn't even bother to put up a "No Murder Allowed" sign at the door, this is a clear indication that they advocate murder and are responsible for it. Their corporate greed told them that the $1.25 cost of a sign was too much, and because of that greed, lives have been destroyed.

(I really shouldn't have to say this but, the above comments are meant in jest)

amlevin

With this judgement could we now start seeing "No Guns Allowed" signs on the doors?

Isn't that a typical Insurance Company reaction?

"Denny's knew about the problems and should have proactively increased security to protect patrons."

Don't know the specifics but apparently Denny's has "security procedures" that are designed to cut down on late night rowdyism. I know that often, if a group has been sitting there too long and is getting too loud, the waitress and cleanup staff will encourage them to move along by cutting off service, busing the table, and mopping around the group. Apparently the jury felt that the staff at this restaurant let things get out of hand and weren't even following their own "operations manual".

There was an earlier thread about "tactical seating" in a restaurant. This incident brings home the importance of situational awareness, especially if in a restaurant such as this, late at night.

FMCDH

With this judgement could we now start seeing "No Guns Allowed" signs on the doors?

Isn't that a typical Insurance Company reaction?

I wouldn't doubt it. Everyone knows such signs deflect bullets, right!?
Its all so much legal posturing. :rolleyes:

What I would like to know, and didn’t see anything about in any of the articles, is exactly how long this guy was gone before he came back with the gun, and why, if he had already committed a crime, didn’t anyone call police to report him?

Dave Workman

Well, it was actually $46, but that won't be paid out because of the agreement.

But here's my take:
============================================================

Denny’s shooting case settlement raises prickly legal questions

Monday’s announcement of the multi-million-dollar settlement in King County of a lawsuit filed against the Denny’s restaurant chain after a shooting at a Kent Denny’s in 2007 – a settlement made for $13 million prior to a jury verdict that awarded more than $46 million to the plaintiffs – raises some serious questions about corporate liability and personal safety.

http://www.examiner.com/gun-rights-...ase-settlement-raises-prickly-legal-questions

Or try this:

http://tinyurl.com/4pc8j22

MSG Laigaie

Campaign Veteran
1. "Situational Awareness", "Tactical Seating", I have done this automatically all my life. They used to call it PTSD. My Sweet Baboo understands and helps by seating herself so I can protect her. It just drives me crazy if I am out of position. Not crazy, lets say unhappy.

2. Who can eat the food at Dennys?

NMBill

Grand Slam, Indeed

Denny's needs to install metal detectors and K-9 teams at all their locations.
Also all patrons should be required to submit to full body cavity checks as a condition of entry. If Denny's cared about safety, they would take these minor steps to protect their customers from events like this. The fact that they do not do this proves that they are completely responsible for this indecent.

I mean come on, they didn't even bother to put up a "No Murder Allowed" sign at the door, this is a clear indication that they advocate murder and are responsible for it. Their corporate greed told them that the $1.25 cost of a sign was too much, and because of that greed, lives have been destroyed.

(I really shouldn't have to say this but, the above comments are meant in jest)

Metal Detectors and a free body cavity search -- that's what I call the Grand Slam breakfast.

Dave_pro2a

article said:
According to the lawsuit, employees at the restaurant and the company’s security director had urged officials at the chain’s Spartanburg, S.C. headquarters to take steps to make the property safer at night after a string of other incidents

I haven't read the case, but based on that paragraph I imagine it went like this:

1) There was a documented pattern of illegal and dangerous behavior.
2) The companies own security director a] knew about it and b] warned magement.
3) The company took now corrective action about this known danger.
4) This was all probably well documented in email.

I don't see a problem. I'd compare it to this:

A swimming pool loses a 12 million dollar judgment after a customer was injured.
1) They had a loose drain guard
2) Customers complained about the loose guard every week.
3) The Company's maintenance director tell management there is a dangerous guard that needs replacing.
4) Management does nothing.
5) Months later a boy is injured when his arm is sucked into the drain.

Bingo! 12 million dollars.

Known danger, no corrective action, injury = settlement or lost lawsuit.

Denney's should have addressed what I'm guessing was their gang issues, and ongoing assaults, drug dealing, etc. And then they probably would not have lost the lawsuit.