Thread: 12+ permit application

12+ permit application

I have had my permit in the works in my town of Waterford, CT for almost 12 weeks now. I haven’t gotten a letter saying what is taking so long and no one seems to be able to give me a straight answer. It has always been it is on the chief’s desk waiting for review. What really grinds my gears is my fiancé and I put in for the permits at the same time and she has hers already and got it on the 8 week mark. Does anyone know why this may be or what I can do? I don't have a criminal record or medical record of instability and I hold a secret clearance in the military so I doubt it will be denied. Any insight would be greatly appreciated.

Have any of your checks been cashed? Have you been fingerprinted? Have they confirmed that your background check has come back?

Who have you talked to at the PD?
    Last edited by Rich B; 02-09-2011 at 02:27 PM.

Moderator / Administrator Grapeshot's Avatar
    According to the Dept of Public Safety it "generally takes eight weeks to obtain."
    http://www.ct.gov/dps/cwp/view.asp?a=2158&q=294484
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training.” Archilochus, 650 BC

Old and treacherous will beat young and skilled every time. Yata hey.

they are only permitted 8 weeks per statute....stop by and tell them you are there to pick up your permit.
    Last edited by mrjam2jab; 02-10-2011 at 01:02 PM.

I was just starting to help someone going through the same thing in Windsor.

He found an interesting work around..... he showed up at a police commissioners meeting and had it the next day.

Would be nice to see how many towns have similar contact with the community. Maybe bringing up a new issue at a city/town council meeting is another.

I testified on the process today in support of changing some of the review process (BFPE) and made a point to the legislators about the towns taking their liberties with the statutory time lines. Seems we had overwhelming support on this issue and something might actually get done........ though I won't hold my breath.

Jonathan
    www.ctpistolpermitissues.com - tracking all the local issuing authority, DPS and other insanity with permit issues
    www.ctgunsafety.com - my blog and growing list of links useful to gun owners (especially in Connecticut).

Rich B: My favorite argument against OC being legal in CT is "I have never seen someone OC in CT".
    I have never seen a person drink tea from a coke bottle while standing on their head, that doesn't mean it is illegal.

Quote Originally Posted by KIX View Post
    I was just starting to help someone going through the same thing in Windsor.

He found an interesting work around..... he showed up at a police commissioners meeting and had it the next day.
    Was this the gentleman from Windsor Locks from the meeting? Is he all set now?

My completed approved permit sat on the Clerk's desk for 10 days while she surfed the 'Net and I had to drive over and get it on day 38 (40 days allowed). Partner got hers in 20 days - Internet must have been down.

Glad you got your situation straight. It's AMAZING how much works gets done in municipal offices when the intenets go down!

Rich, yep. Windsor Locks, my bad.

We've been exchanging emails. I wish I could see him bring it up in an open meeting like a police commissioner's meeting.

AWESOME!

Jonathan
    www.ctpistolpermitissues.com - tracking all the local issuing authority, DPS and other insanity with permit issues
    www.ctgunsafety.com - my blog and growing list of links useful to gun owners (especially in Connecticut).

Rich B: My favorite argument against OC being legal in CT is "I have never seen someone OC in CT".
    I have never seen a person drink tea from a coke bottle while standing on their head, that doesn't mean it is illegal.

I was about to say..Windsor is great..got mine there..so have many other people..most, if not all times in under 2 weeks...They have a permanent person assigned for Permits and he is very quick...It just goes to show what can be done...They did my fingerprint for FLA CCW for free as well...talked about guns with the cop who did them..he was very pro 2nd amendment..did not think anyone should need a permit to carry.......I am currently in East Windsor and they have monthly meeting with Police Chief but I have never heard of any issues here in obtaining permits so I have never gone..
    Last edited by buketdude; 02-11-2011 at 11:05 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by KIX View Post
    Rich, yep. Windsor Locks, my bad.

We've been exchanging emails. I wish I could see him bring it up in an open meeting like a police commissioner's meeting.
    I am glad I didn't get around to sending this letter to the police chief there. I will rewrite based on the new status.

It would help if I know more details, if you could forward me some more information in an email, that would be good.

Quote Originally Posted by buketdude View Post
    did not think anyone should need a permit to carry......
    +1

Just more feel good laws that need to be repealed.

You guys and your silly talk.

I still find it funny we need to ask for permission to exercise our rights.

Jonathan

Cool Finally

The Chief of Police called me on Friday and apoligized for taking so long. I'm picking up my permit tonight and going to the State Barrack in Montville on Wednesday! Thank you for all of your input.

Moderator / Administrator Grapeshot's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by devman322 View Post
    The Chief of Police called me on Friday and apoligized for taking so long. I'm picking up my permit tonight and going to the State Barrack in Montville on Wednesday! Thank you for all of your input.
    Congrats.

Did he happen to say why yours took so long?
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training.” Archilochus, 650 BC

Old and treacherous will beat young and skilled every time. Yata hey.

Didn't ask. I was just happy to finally get it.

Once its in your hands, I'd make some noise.

If we all lie down our rights are eroded bit by bit.

I was driving to a local match tonight with my short barreled MP5 and was going to put it in the trunk. Then I decided to just put it on the front passenger seat. I carry it to these matches in a range bag with the butt sticking out because its so short. There are typically 5 or 6 loaded 30 round mags in a side pocket of the bag.

Provocative, yes.

Legal, also yes.

Don