• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

12+ permit application

devman322

I have had my permit in the works in my town of Waterford, CT for almost 12 weeks now. I haven’t gotten a letter saying what is taking so long and no one seems to be able to give me a straight answer. It has always been it is on the chief’s desk waiting for review. What really grinds my gears is my fiancé and I put in for the permits at the same time and she has hers already and got it on the 8 week mark. Does anyone know why this may be or what I can do? I don't have a criminal record or medical record of instability and I hold a secret clearance in the military so I doubt it will be denied. Any insight would be greatly appreciated.

Rich B

Have any of your checks been cashed? Have you been fingerprinted? Have they confirmed that your background check has come back?

Who have you talked to at the PD?

Last edited:

KIX

I was just starting to help someone going through the same thing in Windsor.

He found an interesting work around..... he showed up at a police commissioners meeting and had it the next day.

Would be nice to see how many towns have similar contact with the community. Maybe bringing up a new issue at a city/town council meeting is another.

I testified on the process today in support of changing some of the review process (BFPE) and made a point to the legislators about the towns taking their liberties with the statutory time lines. Seems we had overwhelming support on this issue and something might actually get done........ though I won't hold my breath.

Jonathan

Badger Johnson

My completed approved permit sat on the Clerk's desk for 10 days while she surfed the 'Net and I had to drive over and get it on day 38 (40 days allowed). Partner got hers in 20 days - Internet must have been down. :banghead:

KIX

Glad you got your situation straight. It's AMAZING how much works gets done in municipal offices when the intenets go down!

Rich, yep. Windsor Locks, my bad.

We've been exchanging emails. I wish I could see him bring it up in an open meeting like a police commissioner's meeting.

AWESOME!

Jonathan

buketdude

I was about to say..Windsor is great..got mine there..so have many other people..most, if not all times in under 2 weeks...They have a permanent person assigned for Permits and he is very quick...It just goes to show what can be done...They did my fingerprint for FLA CCW for free as well...talked about guns with the cop who did them..he was very pro 2nd amendment..did not think anyone should need a permit to carry.......I am currently in East Windsor and they have monthly meeting with Police Chief but I have never heard of any issues here in obtaining permits so I have never gone..

Last edited:

Rich B

Rich, yep. Windsor Locks, my bad.

We've been exchanging emails. I wish I could see him bring it up in an open meeting like a police commissioner's meeting.

I am glad I didn't get around to sending this letter to the police chief there. I will rewrite based on the new status.

It would help if I know more details, if you could forward me some more information in an email, that would be good.

KIX

You guys and your silly talk.

I still find it funny we need to ask for permission to exercise our rights.

Jonathan

devman322

Finally

The Chief of Police called me on Friday and apoligized for taking so long. I'm picking up my permit tonight and going to the State Barrack in Montville on Wednesday! Thank you for all of your input.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
The Chief of Police called me on Friday and apoligized for taking so long. I'm picking up my permit tonight and going to the State Barrack in Montville on Wednesday! Thank you for all of your input.

Congrats.

Did he happen to say why yours took so long?

dcmdon

Once its in your hands, I'd make some noise.

If we all lie down our rights are eroded bit by bit.

I was driving to a local match tonight with my short barreled MP5 and was going to put it in the trunk. Then I decided to just put it on the front passenger seat. I carry it to these matches in a range bag with the butt sticking out because its so short. There are typically 5 or 6 loaded 30 round mags in a side pocket of the bag.

Provocative, yes.

Legal, also yes.

Don