• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Chatham CO open range day is back! 2/19 or 2/26

Smith45acp

Greetings fellow OCDO'ers.

I will be hosting another range day on one of the following dates: 2/19 or 2/26

If you're interested post your preference and the day with the most votes will win.

- Long rifle lane
- Steel pistol course, configurable (with all new barricades! Whoo hoo!)
- Clay shooting (BYOB)

If you have an iphone download the surefire(?) sureshot(?) app so we can get some friendly competition going like last time.

This is near New Hill, NC for reference.

-Meet at a nearby gas station around noon. Once everyone is accounted for we'll head into the brush. We'll stay as long as people want, leaving enough daylight to police brass and trash.
-My mile-long access road has been just awful lately. There may be some gravel going down $oon, but if not, and it's wet then cars won't make it like last time. I can carry 3 others in my crew cab.
-Bring ammo and whatever you want to shoot. If you want to sight in / punch holes etc. then bring targets. If you just want to bang some steel I have that in place.
-This is just a safe area of woods with a clearing far from any dwellings. There are no facilities (or t.p.!)

We've had good showings at past dates, and no one has shot their eye out.

*First 6 to rsvp are in.* I have myself and 3 others joining and any more than 10 heads and 20 hands makes me skittish

*Side note - If anyone is into reloading shoot me a pm.

I'm building an AR, and have only shot one once so if you have one bring it and I'll feed it.

Any questions just ask below.

Last edited:

elixin77

I'm definitely interested. Either day works for me.

I have the components to reload, but haven't started yet (missing a few small things) - does that count? lol

aosailor

I am game for the 26th. I have been needing to find a place to shoot my rifle, I need to get the scope sighted in!
I havent been to any of these events in the past, so what are the details of this event?

Dreamer

I'm interested, but the 26th is better for me. There is a USPSA match in Greenville on the 19th that I also wanted to attend...

Smith45acp

I am game for the 26th. I have been needing to find a place to shoot my rifle, I need to get the scope sighted in!
I havent been to any of these events in the past, so what are the details of this event?

Want to sight your rifle in? No worries. But have a good spotting scope. Since I don't have one, and I'm too lazy to walk back and forth I brought a bicycle last time :)

Details added to OP. Any other questions just ask.

Smith45acp

^ I'd like to see that!

I would love an AR15 SBR, but don't want to deal with the NFA crap right now. I've assembled my lower, have plenty of pmags, decent amount of .223. Just need the big ticket items next. I'm springing for a pretty decent barrel and I gotta finally have my Eotech!

And chasing the heels of a completed rifle I'm considering a Hornady Lock and Load progressive press. That's why I've been asking about reloaders here. It seems that you can slowly build the machine up to be more and more automated with case and bullet feeders etc...

Here is a neat video with one that has all the bells and whistles (skip to about 6:00 for the action): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F1iavV5IGag&playnext=1&list=PL0EA51EA8788E32A5

elixin77

that press takes all the fun out of reloading, IMO. Granted, if you shoot a lot of bullets, then a progressive fully automatic like that one is nice. But I don't shoot anywhere near enough to merit investing that much money, and I don't have the finances to afford that, lol

Smith45acp

that press takes all the fun out of reloading, IMO. Granted, if you shoot a lot of bullets, then a progressive fully automatic like that one is nice. But I don't shoot anywhere near enough to merit investing that much money, and I don't have the finances to afford that, lol

I hear you on the money. But for me that's the whole reason I want to invest in this. The basic press is on sale for 399 @cabelas with a rebate for 500 free bullets, and I got a $100 gift certificate to add. I haven't priced out the dies and other necessities but I believe I could get started for under $600 or so.

I shoot a lot as it is, and I hate to pay 40 cents each time I pull the trigger. If I could get away with 1/5th of that per round cost I would shoot even more. I'm sure I could save enough in a few short months to justify the cost.

Also I know some folks who I could sell ammo to. *Note I'm making this comment without having done any research into the legality, so this is a bit premature. Of course I'm aware of the liability issues and thus any alleged sales would only go to friends with an appropriate level of mutual trust, and after a few thousand rounds tested on my own.

If I had to go to a pay per use range each time, where I'm stuck standing in an aisle shooting at a paper target I wouldn't worry about saving so much. But where I go out I like to shoot upwards of 300 rounds in an afternoon. I'm there at least twice a month, and feel fortunate to have the access.

Smith45acp

The 19th it is...

I count Elixin, Matt, Dreamer, and Driver for definites.

Sailor for a maybe?

If Sailor is a no go for the 19th I'll have one more slot avail. And Sailor if you want to join me some other time soon let me know and I'll keep you posted.

Last edited:

aosailor

I count Elixin, Matt, Dreamer, and Driver for definites.

Sailor for a maybe?

If Sailor is a no go for the 19th I'll have one more slot avail. And Sailor if you want to join me some other time soon let me know and I'll keep you posted.

Unfortunately I can't make the 19th,way to much stuff going on that weekend, but that you for the offer!

elixin77

If we still have a slot available, mind if I ask my friend if he'd like to come? I'm fairly positive that he'll be saying "no," but i want to make sure he can come if he actually says yes

M

mattwestm

Are we getting lunch too or should we eat before we get there? If you have a grill, I will be more than happy to buy some burgers and buns for everyone. Maybe some others can buy some chips and drinks, etc. We could cook out first and then start shooting.

Smith45acp

Elixin - I've reached capacity at this point, but I'll do this again more and more as it warms up

Matt - That's really a great idea, but I think I have to pass on it. It doesn't seem like a big deal, but I actually spend quite a bit of time just getting the shooting related crap set up and in order. Adding the food element is not something I'm willing to oversee or contribute toward. I usually grab a subway footlong on the way out.

I think we're going to have at least the 10 heads if everyone who has committed shows up, and like I mentioned before the access road has been a bit of a bear lately, so I'm concerned about the possibility of having to shuttle people in and out if it's still too wet for cars. Although the weather this week should be dry, and Saturday is supposed to be beautiful. We'll see...

elixin77

OK thats fine.

Does anyone coming have a .22 rifle/pistol that I can shoot (my ammo)? Mine has a spring missing (ordered, not supposed to come in until the monday after the range day), and my other guns are both expensive to shoot and hungry, lol.

I'm really hoping that my order gets in on Friday...