• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Wholesale Sports Carry Policy

Bill Starks

State Researcher
Brian.Ritchey@wholesalesportsusa.com
to m1gunr@gmail.com
date Wed, Feb 9, 2011 at 1:38 PM
subject Weapons policy

Good afternoon Mr. Starks,

In response to your question regarding Wholesale Sports current policy concerning concealed or open carry weapons having to be checked in. Our policy has not changed since our recent change over from Sportsman's Warehouse. You are allowed to shop the store without checking in your weapon unless you plan to un-holster the firearm in order to fit for accessories as you stated. I apologize for any inconvenience this may have caused you during your most recent visit to our store. I will reiterate this policy to our staff in the hopes to alleviate any further confusion on our part. We thank you for being a valued Wholesale Sports customer.

Thank you,

Brian Ritchey
Store Manager
Wholesale Sports #153
1220 Marvin Road NE
Lacey, WA 98516
360 459-5800

aktion

Good to know. I OC'd at the silverdale store last week for about an hour, no comments from anyone, save the gentleman at the firearm counter. A simple request of what type 1911 I was carrying.

A pleasant, drama free experience.

fire suppressor

Thanks M1Gunr, I hope I didn't stir to much of the hornets nets with my last thread guarding this issue. I think its good evidence to prove we don't all read signs the same way. Thank you for clearing this up for everyone

skiingislife725

Now if they would only start carrying some stock in their "reloading" section. Powder, Primer, and Bullet stock is always poor in the Burlington store.

Yah, every time I've gone down there to look it's been empty shelves. Either everyone has got into reloading or they don't get around to restocking that section. Kesselring's another 20 mins or so north has a great selection of powder and primers and Montana Gold's (good price, but HP's don't expand worth crap).

amlevin

Montana Gold's (good price, but HP's don't expand worth crap).

They do if you move them fast enough. What caliber are you shooting? I shoot about two cases of the 9mm 124gr JHP Montana Gold each year and load them to 1200 fps average.

I used to make a monthly trip to Kesselring's for components but have not gone "to the net". Primers, powder, and match grade rifle bullets from Powder Valley and Pistol/AR-15 bullets from Montana Gold. Delivered to my door for excellent prices.

For those that cry "but the hazmat fee makes all that too expensive", consider primers at $20/thousand versus K'ring's charging over $30/thousand. Powder is at least 20% less expensive also. I just "stocked" up for the year on primers and powder. Powder valley will ship all in one box with a max weight of 47# for only one hazmat fee. Worked out to be about $0.50 per box of primers (1,000) and pound of powder. Saved over $300 from local prices even when freight was factored in. There's another saving too but you can probably figure that one out too without my broadcasting it.

skiingislife725

They do if you move them fast enough. What caliber are you shooting? I shoot about two cases of the 9mm 124gr JHP Montana Gold each year and load them to 1200 fps average.

I used to make a monthly trip to Kesselring's for components but have not gone "to the net". Primers, powder, and match grade rifle bullets from Powder Valley and Pistol/AR-15 bullets from Montana Gold. Delivered to my door for excellent prices.

For those that cry "but the hazmat fee makes all that too expensive", consider primers at $20/thousand versus K'ring's charging over $30/thousand. Powder is at least 20% less expensive also. I just "stocked" up for the year on primers and powder. Powder valley will ship all in one box with a max weight of 47# for only one hazmat fee. Worked out to be about $0.50 per box of primers (1,000) and pound of powder. Saved over $300 from local prices even when freight was factored in. There's another saving too but you can probably figure that one out too without my broadcasting it.

I was using the 115gr or the 121gr. Probably going 1200 or so (don't have a chrony so it's just a guess). And I'll admit, my comment on expansion is what I have read from other people testing it. I haven't personally tested it, though that'd obviously be the way to find out for sure. How have you run your tests on expansion? Also, where are you finding primers for $20/thousand? I think the cheapest I've seen is Wolf or their sister brand for $25 or so.

Last edited:

amlevin

I was using the 115gr or the 121gr. Probably going 1200 or so (don't have a chrony so it's just a guess). And I'll admit, my comment on expansion is what I have read from other people testing it. I haven't personally tested it, though that'd obviously be the way to find out for sure. How have you run your tests on expansion? Also, where are you finding primers for $20/thousand? I think the cheapest I've seen is Wolf or their sister brand for $25 or so.

Primers at Powder Valley. I got a bunch of Wolf (which are every bit as good as any US brand) for $18 as they are shifting to Tula (same factory) @$20.

Test the MG's in Water Jugs or Wet Phone Books. The MG's are made of a soft swaged lead core that you can score a groove in with just your fingernail. The jacket is a scored jacket that peels back about half its length on impact with a soft target. They don't stay together like a Gold Dot Hollow Point but the only person that would give a care is the Medical Examiner who'd have to search for all the pieces in the corpse during the postmortem.

For target they are excellent and accurate as any other bullet. For SD, I prefer the Gold Dot Hollow Points which I load to the same speeds.

A note on the Wolf/Tula primers. The Russians make some of the finest primers available in the world today. More and more matches are being won by shooters using them. For pistols they're great. For Hunting rounds they are reliable to even the lowest temperatures. For accuracy rounds in a rifle I have used them extensively and they are almost as good as the CCI Bench Rest primers. I can consistently get sub MOA groups (so far as small as .202" @100 yards) with my .308 Remington. If you shoot an AR, the Wolf/Tula .223 Rifle Primer is as good as the CCI #41 primer for preventing "slam fires".
Why pay more when you can get the same from the Wolf/Tula primers? Do not confuse the primers with ammunition of the same name. That's a whole different "ball of wax" when you add dirty powders and steel cases.

BTW, Powder Valley http://www.powdervalleyinc.com/ still has Wolf primers available for as low as $15/1,000. Buy 10 boxes of primers (mixed types if you want) and the hazmat will work out to $2.50/box. Shipping will be offset with the lack of State Sales Tax. Primers for $17.50 a box? How's that sound?

Last edited:

Bill Starks

State Researcher
Was this email sent to you at random or what? Can you post the email you sent to them?

My Email.....

from Bill Starks <m1gunr@gmail.com>
to customerservice@wholesalesportsusa.com
date Sat, Feb 5, 2011 at 10:04 PM
subject weapons and store visits

Hello,
While visiting the Lacey Washington store on Feb 5th I was informed by a clerk that I would need to check my personal carry weapon with the service desk to ensure it was unloaded. Before the Company changed hands I talked to the VP (Matt French) and was told that as long as it stayed holstered Concealed Carriers and Open Carriers were good to go. However, if I was going to "fit" it for accessories then it needed to be unloaded and checked. Would you please let me know the current policy on weapons while shopping at Wholesale Sports locations and if I am correct on the rules could something be sent to the store managers and employees?

Thank you,
Bill Starks

Mainsail

My Email.....

from Bill Starks <m1gunr@gmail.com>
to customerservice@wholesalesportsusa.com
date Sat, Feb 5, 2011 at 10:04 PM
subject weapons and store visits

Hello,
While visiting the Lacey Washington store on Feb 5th I was informed by a clerk that I would need to check my personal carry weapon with the service desk to ensure it was unloaded. Before the Company changed hands I talked to the VP (Matt French) and was told that as long as it stayed holstered Concealed Carriers and Open Carriers were good to go. However, if I was going to "fit" it for accessories then it needed to be unloaded and checked. Would you please let me know the current policy on weapons while shopping at Wholesale Sports locations and if I am correct on the rules could something be sent to the store managers and employees?

Thank you,
Bill Starks

Thanks!

It sounds like another employee who was not properly taught the policy.