• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Threating Display

aadvark

ALL Maine Post Participants:

Does Maine Law 2001-A(1)(A), Chapter 252, Part 5, of Title 25 Invalidate Open Carry?

1. Display or Carrying Prohibited. A Person may NOT, unless Excepted by a Provision of Law:
A. Display in a Threatening Manner a Firearm..., Usually Employed in The Attack on or Defense of a Person;
[2003, c. 452, Pt. N, §2 (NEW); 2003, c. 452, Pt. X, §2 (AFF).]

Therefore, it seems as if Open Carry is ILLEGAL in Maine, because someone could Construe The Act as either: Terrorizing 17-A 210 [ 2001, c. 383, §11 (RP); 2001, c. 383, §156 (AFF) .], OR
Reckless Conduct 17-A 211 [ 1975, c. 499, §1 (NEW) .]
under Chapter 9, Part 2, of Title 17-A of Maine Code.

Is there any Case Law in Maine about Open Carry that would InValidate these Concerns?

aadvark

boyscout399

ALL Maine Post Participants:

Does Maine Law 2001-A(1)(A), Chapter 252, Part 5, of Title 25 Invalidate Open Carry?

1. Display or Carrying Prohibited. A Person may NOT, unless Excepted by a Provision of Law:
A. Display in a Threatening Manner a Firearm..., Usually Employed in The Attack on or Defense of a Person;
[2003, c. 452, Pt. N, §2 (NEW); 2003, c. 452, Pt. X, §2 (AFF).]

Therefore, it seems as if Open Carry is ILLEGAL in Maine, because someone could Construe The Act as either: Terrorizing 17-A 210 [ 2001, c. 383, §11 (RP); 2001, c. 383, §156 (AFF) .], OR
Reckless Conduct 17-A 211 [ 1975, c. 499, §1 (NEW) .]
under Chapter 9, Part 2, of Title 17-A of Maine Code.

Is there any Case Law in Maine about Open Carry that would InValidate these Concerns?

aadvark

I do not know the individual cases, but yes there is case law regarding OC. Note that the statute says threatening display, not just display. The display has to be in a threatening manner and a properly holstered handgun is not threatening.

17-A 210 involves the communication of a threat. If you don't threaten someone with the firearm, you're not in violation of that statute

17-A 211 involves recklessly causing a serious risk of bodily injury to someone else. There is no risk of bodily injury to anyone with a holstered handgun. If that handgun ever becomes unholstered, then a reckless conduct charge "may" be warranted, but again you have to prove that the risk was caused recklessly, not purposefully.

Last edited:

Fallschirjmäger

"Threatening display" is the operative phrase. Holding a rope isn't threatening; holding up a noose and pointing at the nearest tall tree is something entirely different.
If the mere carrying of a firearm were threatening, then all uniformed officers would constantly be threatening the public that they are sworn to protect.

WantsToCarry

Agreed that I dont find much for grounds on a threatening display. Ive even had a freind bring up "Civil Unrest" tho I don't find any legal grounds for this. Also, public disturbance. Both sound as if your causing the public, speaking of more than a few, unhappy or upset, your disturbing the public/and or causing unrest.

Again this argument is near nonsense as the act of open carry is legal, and just because one man/woman doesn't like it, does not make it unrest. Just thought I would throw that into the ring.