• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

NC Parking Lot Bill!!!

chiefjason

mekender

I was referring to your original post where you said this would only apply to employers, not places you visited as a customer.

I agree with you that this bill does not allow the same ability to leave in your car at a place where carrying is already prohibited. Oklahoma law is a bit different in this case. Our parking lot law exempts ALL parking lots from this restriction. There have been many times I have had to leave my firearm hidden in my locked car while attending a college course.

You might be right on this one...

I am a bit concerned that it requires the gun to be locked up... So would my locked car qualify if it was in the glove box that does not have a lock?

Dreamer

You might be right on this one...

I am a bit concerned that it requires the gun to be locked up... So would my locked car qualify if it was in the glove box that does not have a lock?

Dude, go to BigLots and get a $30 Honeywell portable safe and a bicycle cable lock, and lock it up to the seat rails.

It won't stop a determined criminal with bolt cutters and a big crowbar, but it WILL deter about 99% of the "causal" crooks looking to so a quick "smash and grab".

If thieves wanted to WORK for their living, they wouldn't be thieves, they'd be politicians...

Spearhead

Done that a long time ago. I got one of those steel change boxes like you see at yard sales for keeping your cash in. Throwed the plastic tray away and lined the inside with rubber and bolted it to the truck behind the seat. It has a key lock. Fort Knox it ain't but the thief would have to bring big tools with him to get it out or open.

Something like this you don't use for permanent storage, just for "while I am in the no rights allowed" zone.

mekender

Dude, go to BigLots and get a $30 Honeywell portable safe and a bicycle cable lock, and lock it up to the seat rails.

It won't stop a determined criminal with bolt cutters and a big crowbar, but it WILL deter about 99% of the "causal" crooks looking to so a quick "smash and grab".

If thieves wanted to WORK for their living, they wouldn't be thieves, they'd be politicians...

I realize that but why should I have to spend extra money just to make sure that my gun is locked up inside my already locked car?

sultan62

I realize that but why should I have to spend extra money just to make sure that my gun is locked up inside my already locked car?

I don't think the emphasis is that you should have to, just that it is an added layer of protection for a gun in a vehicle.

Spearhead

I don't see that as an issue for me any more than I lock my door when I leave home.
Whether you understand it or not, a vehicle is zero on the security list. With a "slim jim" I can be inside your vehicle in 15 seconds. With a coat hanger it usually takes me 5 minutes or so. If I'm bold I just break the glass and take your ****. When I was doing the cops-and-robbers thing I kept a slim jim in the trunk. On a couple of occasions I actually accidentally unlocked a customers car just by sliding it down inside the door - less than three seconds.

Unless the vehicle you drive is a Brinks truck or something like that, your a fool to just leave your gun under the seat or in the glove box.

It's worth a $20 investment (to me) in order for my $800 H&K not to end up in some "gangsta's" waistband in the hood. If and when you ever did get it back it is gonna be scratched all up and banged to hell.

You are probably one of those who has a $5000 gun collection and 10,000 rounds of ammo stored up, but bitch about spending $30 to protect your investment.

I have a craftsman sabre jaw and I was reading the instructions for how to change the blade. Step number one was "Turn saw off." They put that there for people like you.

Last edited:

mekender

I don't see that as an issue for me any more than I lock my door when I leave home.
Whether you understand it or not, a vehicle is zero on the security list. With a "slim jim" I can be inside your vehicle in 15 seconds. With a coat hanger it usually takes me 5 minutes or so. If I'm bold I just break the glass and take your ****. When I was doing the cops-and-robbers thing I kept a slim jim in the trunk. On a couple of occasions I actually accidentally unlocked a customers car just by sliding it down inside the door - less than three seconds.

Unless the vehicle you drive is a Brinks truck or something like that, your a fool to just leave your gun under the seat or in the glove box.

It's worth a $20 investment (to me) in order for my $800 H&K not to end up in some "gangsta's" waistband in the hood. If and when you ever did get it back it is gonna be scratched all up and banged to hell.

You are probably one of those who has a $5000 gun collection and 10,000 rounds of ammo stored up, but bitch about spending $30 to protect your investment.

I have a craftsman sabre jaw and I was reading the instructions for how to change the blade. Step number one was "Turn saw off." They put that there for people like you.

So your theory is akin to the drill instructor in Full Metal Jacket... Leaving your footlocker unlocked is why there is so much thievery in the world?

My car shouldnt even have to be locked for me to expect people to just leave it alone... The fact that it is not theirs should be enough. Now for that to happen, we would have to have a entire change in the way the criminal justice system works... Like say for example since we know that the vast majority of criminals are repeat offenders, how about we start locking em up the first time and not letting them out till they are no longer criminally inclined? - I know... too much to hope for.

Now after further reading the bill...

§ 14‑409.41. No prohibition regarding the transportation or storage of a firearm in locked motor vehicle by business, commercial enterprise, or employer; civil liability; enforcement.

(b) A business, commercial enterprise, or employer shall not establish, maintain, or enforce a policy or rule that prohibits or has the effect of prohibiting a person from transporting or storing any firearm or ammunition when the person is otherwise in compliance with all other applicable laws and regulations and the firearm or ammunition is locked out of sight within the trunk, glove box, or other enclosed compartment or area within or on a motor vehicle.

(e) An employee discharged by an employer, business entity, or commercial enterprise for violation of a policy or rule prohibited under subsection (b) of this section, when he or she was lawfully transporting or storing a firearm out of plain sight in a locked motor vehicle, is entitled to full recovery as specified...

It appears that (b) and (e) conflict...

I agree, securing against theft is a good idea but I shouldn't be criminalized for not doing so. Especially since the only time it would be applicable would be in cases where the business owner prohibited possession.

Last edited:

Spearhead

No need for personal attacks. Especially when they're made on speculation.

Don't take it as a personal attack. We all should be offended at such an ignorant reply. This is Sarah Brady and her gun grabbing goons most successful selling point is guns that are stolen from cars and homes. And the simple fact is it works. Our gun rights get infringed because STOLEN GUNS END UP THE STREET KILLING PEOPLE.

My car shouldnt even have to be locked for me to expect people to just leave it alone..
What a fairyland bedtime story. Is that the lost verse to "Big Rock Candy Mountain"?
Do you leave your home unlocked when you go to work? Do you expect people to "just leave it alone" also?

Your excuse makes a great argument against gun rights. If everybody would just leave your property alone and obey the laws, you wouldn't need to own a gun.

Last edited:

sultan62

Just calling a spade a spade. You're a new member, and one of the rules is against personal attacks.

mekender

Don't take it as a personal attack. We all should be offended at such an ignorant reply. This is Sarah Brady and her gun grabbing goons most successful selling point is guns that are stolen from cars and homes. And the simple fact is it works. Our gun rights get infringed because STOLEN GUNS END UP THE STREET KILLING PEOPLE.

I thought it was the evil gun show 'loophole'

Or those scawwy assault weapons...

Or those evil super deadly hi capacity magazines...

Or any number of things they can come up with... I have a 50+ year old Sears .22 that is a felony to possess in NJ because it holds more than 15 rounds in a tube mag...

Gun control is not about the guns it is about the control.

mekender

Maybe so , but when someones talking dumbass, they should be called on it.

PEOPLE WITH ***** ATTITUDE IS THE REASON every time i got buy a gun it costs me $3 or $4 more, because it has to be sold with some gun-locking device because **** won't keep his shlt locked up.

Sorry for the attack, but **** is a welfare turd because everyone else who buys a gun has to pay because of ****** lack of personal responsibility. If ***** would take the responsibility that comes with the right then I wouldn't have 15 or so gun locks lying around the house that I had to buy. Big Brother has to tell **** to keep his shlt locked up because **** won't do it on his own.

So the mods can ban me for the remark if they want, IT IS THE TRUTH. NO NAMES have been included in the above post, so it is not a "personal attack".

No criminals are the reason you keep your stuff locked up... if you want to rail against someone how about making personal attacks against the judges and politicians that have allowed that to happen for the last 50 years or so?

Why should I or anyone else be under legal jeopardy just because we dont keep something double locked up? The logical next step to your argument is how they do things in the EU where guns must be kept locked up at the police station or the shooting range. That would make them triple safe wouldnt it?

Last edited:

Spearhead

Yeah you're all right. I am wrong. Sorry but the topic made me passionate.

You leave your **** in the car unsecure and lose it, and I'll leave mine locked up and keep owning it. To each his own.

mekender

Yeah you're all right. I am wrong. Sorry but the topic made me passionate.

You leave your shlt in the car unsecure and lose it, and I'll leave mine locked up and keep owning it. To each his own.

Who said anything about it being left unsecured?

I said that I didnt like having to lock it up twice.

Sure in an ideal world leaving your car unlocked would work but that wont happen.

Last edited:

Spearhead

Who said anything about it being left unsecured?

I said that I didnt like having to lock it up twice.

Sure in an ideal world leaving your car unlocked would work but that wont happen.

I understand. It's just me. I just figure having your gun "locked up" in a glass box is pretty unsecure, by definition. It's OK to leave your gun lying in the seat. I can have it in my hand in less than 10 seconds. Glass is just like that.

sultan62

Please mek, just stop feeding him. If all he wants to do is rant and rave or leave snarky remarks, responding isn't going to accomplish anything.

chiefjason

I'll play.

If single locked is bad. And double locked is good. Is triple locked better? How about locking the ammo and gun in separate containers? Maybe unloading the mags too?

From my view, the point is to keep it from being seen on company property. Not to keep it safe.

Isn't one of the things we rail against the thought that the Government can pass a law that keeps us safe?

I completely understand Meks point. And agree with it. The main reason I did not give it much thought before is because I have a lock box behind the seat in my truck. Does that make my gun safer? Maybe, but not much.

If the wording is not to your liking, I suggest contacting a rep or member of the committee it gets into. I just might do that myself. I don't like laws with hidden "gotchas".

sultan62

Maybe we should all just wonder over to la-la land where they take teens who break into vehicles and lock them up for the rest of their natural life.
Because in the real world we don't even do that to murderers and rapists.

Is there a written test they would have to pass??????

I'm sorry, Spearhead. Did I offend you?