• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Flying with a pistol?

krazichinaman

I've read the TSA guidelines about declaring the pistol at check in and having the firearm locked in an opaque case. Also that the firearm must be unloaded and each airline has a different policy about how much ammo can be checked in. (I'm flying Alaska, which allows up to 50 lbs of ammo, which must be stored in original packaging or magazines that are inside a mag carrier or has the bullets themselves completely covered. Also its ok to store the ammo inside the same luggage or locked case as the checked pistol.)

My gun case is a Gun Vault nano 300 (with key) and fits my XD 45 service and 2 mags. I want to carry 3 and was wondering if its OK to store my empty mags with my ammo in a pelican case. Or do the mags have to be locked up with the firearm in my gunvault?

My main concern is that I am flying to Texas which accepts WA CPL, however, I have a 1 hour layover in Denver, CO before I fly to Texas. Denver CO does not accept any other states CPL. The moment I land in Denver, even though the firearm is not on my person and is in the possession of the airline, am I legally allowed to stay in Denver and wait for my connecting flight to Texas? I recall reading that the moment I land in Denver, I can be arrested on the spot even though the airline has my pistol in their possession.

Any information would be greatly appreciated.

Regards,
Brian

j2l3

You should be fine. You won't be in possession of the firearm and are in lawful transit.

I don't think there is anything that says the magazines can't be in a case other than the one the firearm is in. I would make sure the mags are empty.

Have a great trip.

Last edited:

krazichinaman

Begin your journey here...
http://www.handgunlaw.us/states/usa.pdf

Cheers!

Thanks for the link!

Let me see if I am reading this correctly.

According to the code
"§ 926A. Interstate Transportation Of Firearm - any person who is not otherwise prohibited by this chapter from transporting, shipping,
or receiving a firearm shall be entitled to transport a firearm for any lawful purpose from any place where he
may lawfully possess and carry such firearm to any other place where he may lawfully possess and carry
such firearm"

Since I am legally allowed to have the pistol in WA (Have WA cpl) and am flying to TX (Honors WA cpl) I am in the clear?

If this is the case, what is with people being hassled at NJ airports?
Taken from here: http://www.nraila.org/gunlaws/federal/read.aspx?id=59

"Special Advisory for New York and New Jersey Airports: Despite federal law that protects travelers, authorities at JFK, La Guardia, Newark and Albany airports have been known to enforce state and local firearms laws against airline travelers who are merely passing through the jurisdiction. In some cases, even persons traveling in full compliance with federal law have been arrested or threatened with arrest. Litigation on this issue is ongoing."

G20-IWB24/7

Yup, you're fine. I flew to AZ in Sept. 2010 and took my G19 with me. No problems. Just follow the guidelines and you'll be good.

FMCDH

Thanks for the link!

<SNIP>

Since I am legally allowed to have the pistol in WA (Have WA cpl) and am flying to TX (Honors WA cpl) I am in the clear?

Taken from here: http://www.nraila.org/gunlaws/federal/read.aspx?id=59

<SNIP>

You really have to ask? ;)

Its called the rule of the "hassle factor". Sure, If you toting your firearms according to federal law, technically you should be fine, but that wont keep an anti-gun state such as New York or New Jersey from picking a random victim every so often and running him through their court ringer, depleting his life savings to defend himself and/or bullying him into taking a plea deal, just to send a message to other gun owners.

The fed isn't going to step in until it gets to their courts, many thousands of dollars an many appeals later, and these states know it. The states know that in the end, they likely cant win, but what do they care if they can make an example out of you?

That said, if you are just catching a connecting flight and your not picking up your bags between one flight and another, you will be fine.

I have traveled with one or more pistols for 10+ years among 2 dozen or more states, and the biggest hassle I have ever had is doing the TSA baggage checks. :D

Colorado isn't a state that prohibits the possession of firearms in the non-secured areas of airports anyway, so they are not going to be looking for an excuse.
http://www.handgunlaw.us/states/colorado.pdf

Stryker

I'll concur with previous posts. I flew down to Texas on Monday and return tomorrow morning on Alaska. TSA has no problems with my transporting my pistol in a locked case and the ammunition in the magazine in a nylon belt pouch. Everything is inside my regular checked suitcase and nothing more than an optional zip tie on the zipper. Technically only the gun needs to be locked. The ammunition just needs to be properly packaged.

I make this trip a couple times a month without incident. You should be fine. Too bad about the layover in Denver. The direct Alaska flights are so much more convenient.

krazichinaman

I'll concur with previous posts. I flew down to Texas on Monday and return tomorrow morning on Alaska. TSA has no problems with my transporting my pistol in a locked case and the ammunition in the magazine in a nylon belt pouch. Everything is inside my regular checked suitcase and nothing more than an optional zip tie on the zipper. Technically only the gun needs to be locked. The ammunition just needs to be properly packaged.

I make this trip a couple times a month without incident. You should be fine. Too bad about the layover in Denver. The direct Alaska flights are so much more convenient.

Do your mags have to be locked up with the pistol? My gun vault nano 300 can only fit my XD and 2 mags. I want to have at least 3 mags with me. Since the mags will be empty, would having a mag inside the mag well and 2 mags in the vault all locked up be ok?

Otherwise, if legal, I could just store 2 empty mags in the vault with the pistol locked up and 1 empty mag in the unlocked pelican case with my ammo.

FMCDH

Do your mags have to be locked up with the pistol? My gun vault nano 300 can only fit my XD and 2 mags. I want to have at least 3 mags with me. Since the mags will be empty, would having a mag inside the mag well and 2 mags in the vault all locked up be ok?

Otherwise, if legal, I could just store 2 empty mags in the vault with the pistol locked up and 1 empty mag in the unlocked pelican case with my ammo.

No, the mags don't have to be locked up with the pistol, but ammo must be packaged as per the individual airline regulations. Some allow ammo in mags, some do not.

A mag inserted in the gun is fine as long as its empty.

Last edited:

Tawnos

Time to start reading the TSA/FAA site. I just flew today with 4 pistols, 12 magazines, three holsters, 600 rounds of ammunition, two flashlights, lithium batteries, two knives, and a partridge in a pear tree. It was important to know where each had to be and how they had to be packed - e.g. ammunition in a "crush proof box" - that mean the double thick cardboard it is shipped in, lithium batteries may NOT be in checked bags, etc. It was my first time flying with firearms, so it was important that I read and understand everything that goes with that. Just asking here isn't enough in this case.

Amusingly, I am now in TX. No OC and 30.06 makes me a sad panda.

Last edited:

FMCDH

Time to start reading the TSA/FAA site. I just flew today with 4 pistols, 12 magazines, three holsters, 600 rounds of ammunition, two flashlights, lithium batteries, two knives, and a partridge in a pear tree. It was important to know where each had to be and how they had to be packed - e.g. ammunition in a "crush proof box" - that mean the double thick cardboard it is shipped in, lithium batteries may NOT be in checked bags, etc. It was my first time flying with firearms, so it was important that I read and understand everything that goes with that. Just asking here isn't enough in this case.

Amusingly, I am now in TX. No OC and 30.06 makes me a sad panda.

Well, then lets make it easier for him.

This is what I have carried in my checked luggage for years...
http://www.pelican.com/cases_detail.php?Case=1120

Holds - 2 pistols in holsters, 6 loaded mags in mag carriers, 2 knifes, and an extra box of SD ammo.

If you got more to carry than that, then your not just going for a business trip. :D

Last edited:

OlGutshotWilly

Campaign Veteran
I will second the pelican cases. Use them at work extensively, and have flown to japan with one full of drugs/needles/syringes etc without any breakage and was secure. Traveled with it to Korea, China, and Hong Kong on a container ship, then flew back to the states.
I have decided it is my bag of choice over any regular civilian bag for traveling.

As to flying with guns, my brother has flown extensively with the US National shooting team all across the country and internationally, and continues to fly with his guns to matches all across the country as a regular citizen. No hassles or problems.

hillyard

I have a brother that lives in Houston and I have flown there a few times with a few guns no problems. I use Continental and declared them, then let the tsa look and all is fine

amlevin

These cases are often involving people who are staying in New York and NJ, not passing through.

If you check your bags and don't take possession of them before you arrive at your destination you are "home free" even though they may pass through a less friendly jurisdiction for a layover. As long as you don't take possession of the bags, and the airline merely transfers them to the next airline, THEY have possession, not you.

People have run afoul of the law by retrieving their bags and then staying overnight. This takes them out from under the safety umbrella of he Federal Safe Passage Law. Your trip has to be "uninterrupted" for it to cover you. That means staying in the jurisdiction for longer than the time it takes to catch the next plane.

I've literally lived in the Denver International Airport before I retired. The only bags that are checked there are the ones that originate in Denver. The rest are merely passed from airline to airline without further ado.

In short, if you're legal here, and your legal there, enjoy your trip. While in Denver, go to the United concourse (B) and get a "Mile High Dog" at "Lefty's".

krazichinaman

You guys think this will work with the TSA guidelines for being unloaded? I'm flying out tomorrow morning.

There is a mag inserted into the mag well, but as you can clearly see from the picture it is NOT fully seated. There is a ziptie in the chamber to indicate that it is empty. All mags in the box are EMPTY.

IMG_20110213_192621.jpg