• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Best defense show 2/09/11

MackTheKnife

Oops!

Actually, that was Mike Janich... I'm Rob Pincus... we're close friends, but not married. :)

Thanks for watching the show!

The program wasn't about what you "can" do under the law, it was about what we think you "should" do as a reasonable citizen carrying a gun for personal defense, not as a political statement.

-RJP
Sorry I mixed up the last names. I don't agree with voluntarily complying with a LEO's illegal request for ID. There's no reason to comply. Of course, this should be done firmly but nicely.

MackTheKnife

I guess I now know why I have trouble relating to these many, many negative LEO stories...40 years of carrying and nothing but a couple traffic stops...one speeding ticket and one warning...and stopped a few times when in OC mode but was quickly on my way.

All my encounters have been professional and I have no complaints despite having lived in several states as a result of numerous military moves when on active duty. But I'm intentionally non-confrontational and it doesn't bother me to show an ID to an LEO when requested even if state law doesn't obligate me to do so. I'm not out to try to push the envelope and "educate" the LEOs. If it seems to be a reasonable request from a guy trying to do his job, I cheerfully comply. That sort of an attitude has served me well.

Asking for your ID is NOT a reasonable request. Going along cheerfully is allowing the LEO to break the law he is sworn to uphold. It might seem like an innocuous request, but it's not.

eye95

I notice that Rob has not been back since that post. Too bad. We could have had a productive discussion. I hope he isn't avoiding us simply because we see things differently.

Rob?