• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Private Sales

lykwidtepp

Sorry if I'm double posting, but I haven't seen a thread on this before for California.

But how do Private Sales work in California? I live in Arizona, but I used to live in Lemoore, California and was wondering if I were to move there again, (Not sure if I will), how would someone privately sell/buy a firearm privately? Are Bill of Sales required? Any form of paperwork need to be done through an FFL dealer? Or is it just straight up cash and exchange?

-Thanks

SIGguy229

California requires private sales of firearms to go through a FFL....no cash and carry in CA.

Why would you move to a state with such debt and is swirling the bowl, and with strict, ineffective gun-laws.

Joshua Costa

Activist Member
The buyer and seller meet up at an FFL dealer, and spend about an hour doing paperwork.

The fee is paid for the DROS ($35) and the FFL dealer holds on to the weapon for 10 days.

Buyer picks up his new firearm and goes shooting with friends at the local range :)

lykwidtepp

Alright, I appreciate it! I've just always wondered how firearm transfers worked in California.

Another quick question, if I were to visit California, would I be able to open carry over there, let alone bring my firearm along even though I'm an Arizona resident? (Gun unloaded, 10rd magazine in mag pouch) I have alot of family in southern California and whenever I visit, I would essentially feel safer with my firearm with me. But if the law restricts me from doing so, then I won't do it.

Gundude

Alright, I appreciate it! I've just always wondered how firearm transfers worked in California.

Another quick question, if I were to visit California, would I be able to open carry over there, let alone bring my firearm along even though I'm an Arizona resident? (Gun unloaded, 10rd magazine in mag pouch) I have alot of family in southern California and whenever I visit, I would essentially feel safer with my firearm with me. But if the law restricts me from doing so, then I won't do it.

Beware of the "gun free school zones". You can't UOC within 1000 ft of any K-12 school.

lykwidtepp

No no, I re-read my post, just worded wrong. Family is great, but the area they live in, (Filmore, California), is increasing in gang activity and more recently break-ins.