Results 1 to 13 of 13

Thread: HB1051 / Open Carry Bill fails in House committee (video included)

  1. #1
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    North Little Rock, Arkansas, USA
    Posts
    46

    Exclamation HB1051 / Open Carry Bill fails in House committee (video included)

    http://arkansas-house.granicus.com/M...=2&clip_id=222

    NRAILA Liaison testified with the Sponsor for House Bill 1051 today in the AR House Judiciary Committee. The vote failed but it was NOT unanimous.
    Chris Matthews
    Executive Director | Arkansas Carry
    ============================
    e: chris.matthews@arkansascarry.com
    o: www.arkansascarry.com
    p: 501-291-4839

  2. #2
    Regular Member Gunslinger's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Free, Colorado, USA
    Posts
    3,855
    Quote Originally Posted by cmatthews40510 View Post
    http://arkansas-house.granicus.com/M...=2&clip_id=222

    NRAILA Liaison testified with the Sponsor for House Bill 1051 today in the AR House Judiciary Committee. The vote failed but it was NOT unanimous.
    Let me quess where the democraps voted.

  3. #3
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    North Little Rock, Arkansas, USA
    Posts
    46
    Quote Originally Posted by Gunslinger View Post
    Let me quess where the democraps voted.
    Several Republicans voted against it as well.... a Republican made the motion to "DO NOT PASS".
    Chris Matthews
    Executive Director | Arkansas Carry
    ============================
    e: chris.matthews@arkansascarry.com
    o: www.arkansascarry.com
    p: 501-291-4839

  4. #4
    Founder's Club Member - Moderator Gray Peterson's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Lynnwood, Washington, USA
    Posts
    2,238
    Quote Originally Posted by cmatthews40510 View Post
    Several Republicans voted against it as well.... a Republican made the motion to "DO NOT PASS".
    So question, Chris. Since you're having troubles in committee, and Governor Beebe seems to be indicating that he would veto unlicensed OC, would it behoove you to follow the route of Florida and go with licensed OC for the moment, and then eventually go for constitutional carry the year after, similar to what Iowa is doing?

  5. #5
    Regular Member detroit_fan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Monroe, Michigan, USA
    Posts
    1,196
    I still don't understand how arkansas has a democratic majority in both state houses and the gov, it's like your the last hold out in the south to keep electing dems.
    Last edited by detroit_fan; 02-11-2011 at 11:40 AM.

  6. #6
    Regular Member Gunslinger's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Free, Colorado, USA
    Posts
    3,855
    Quote Originally Posted by detroit_fan View Post
    I still don't understand how arkansas has a democratic majority in both state houses and the gov, it's like your the last hold out in the south to keep electing dems.
    Sounds like some of the Republicans are RINOs, as well.

  7. #7
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Little Rock
    Posts
    9
    Quote Originally Posted by detroit_fan View Post
    I still don't understand how arkansas has a democratic majority in both state houses and the gov, it's like your the last hold out in the south to keep electing dems.
    We are also one of only a few states to have no budget deficit in these very hard times. In fact, it's in the constitution that we can't budget to spend more than we bring in. How is Michigan doing?

    It's not easy to label a Dem as liberal or a Republican as conservative in Arkansas like it is in other states, either.

  8. #8
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Little Rock
    Posts
    9
    Quote Originally Posted by Gray Peterson View Post
    So question, Chris. Since you're having troubles in committee, and Governor Beebe seems to be indicating that he would veto unlicensed OC, would it behoove you to follow the route of Florida and go with licensed OC for the moment, and then eventually go for constitutional carry the year after, similar to what Iowa is doing?
    I concur! Tennessee has a similar law, and they're right next door to us, so even the culture is similar. It would seem the way to go by not demanding everything at once.

  9. #9
    Regular Member detroit_fan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Monroe, Michigan, USA
    Posts
    1,196
    Quote Originally Posted by Gunslinger View Post
    Sounds like some of the Republicans are RINOs, as well.
    yes i agree not all repubs are pro2A, I just meant I am surprised that all the other southern states have shifted from dem to repub majorities except AR

    Quote Originally Posted by Attaboy View Post
    We are also one of only a few states to have no budget deficit in these very hard times. In fact, it's in the constitution that we can't budget to spend more than we bring in. How is Michigan doing?

    It's not easy to label a Dem as liberal or a Republican as conservative in Arkansas like it is in other states, either.
    I wasn't trying to insult your state, sorry if it came off that way. Was just making an observation and questioning why.

  10. #10
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Little Rock
    Posts
    9
    Quote Originally Posted by detroit_fan View Post
    I wasn't trying to insult your state, sorry if it came off that way. Was just making an observation and questioning why.
    LOL!!! We make fun of ourselves in Arkansas. It's almost a hobby at times to play off the hillbilly image the rest of the country has of us. Who do you think came up with the expression "Thank God for Mississippi."? (It means if it wasn't for Mississippi, we'd be last in everything...) I don't have an AR accent, because I was raised an air force brat. I was in Michigan about this time last year, and I was asked for ID at a store to back up my credit card. The lady looks at my driver license and says, "Arkansas? You don't have an accent." I responded that "we only speak with Arky accents to impress the tourists." I'll be damned if she didn't fall for it.

    Arkansas truly is a "Natural State" and also has great roads for motorcycling if you ever get down this way. Highways 23 and 7 through the Ozark and Boston Mountains are awesome rides if you like riding.

    Politics here is a world of it's own. We have fiscally conservative dems as well as liberal minded republicans. It takes a while to get used to it.

    Come visit! We won't bite hard.

  11. #11
    Accomplished Advocate
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Bedford, Texas, USA
    Posts
    834
    telling you, some states like arkansas and texas are going to require the courts to get open carry. anyone going to file suit?

  12. #12
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Eastern Panhandle,WV ,
    Posts
    408
    Try to get rid of those committee members voting against it, and get a conservative majority in the AR government so these committees will be pro-gun.

  13. #13
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Little Rock
    Posts
    9
    Quote Originally Posted by press1280 View Post
    Try to get rid of those committee members voting against it, and get a conservative majority in the AR government so these committees will be pro-gun.
    Is open carry the only issue you use to select your representatives?

    Some of the members voted against this bill not because they were "anti-gun", they voted against it, because it was a poorly written, confusing (after the amendments) and weak bill. That's part of why we elected them - to vote down bad laws. Had it been better written, had the sponsor been better prepared to argue the merits of open carry, and had the NRA sent a rep who was more aware of the current laws in AR, open carry may have had a chance.

    Learn the lessons, write a better bill which specifically addresses the concerns of the committee, be prepared in advance for the questions (even the dumb ones), rehearse the responses, and git-er-done!

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •