Thread: HB1051 / Open Carry Bill fails in House committee (video included)

Exclamation HB1051 / Open Carry Bill fails in House committee (video included)

http://arkansas-house.granicus.com/M...=2&clip_id=222

NRAILA Liaison testified with the Sponsor for House Bill 1051 today in the AR House Judiciary Committee. The vote failed but it was NOT unanimous.
    Chris Matthews
    Executive Director | Arkansas Carry
    ============================
    e: chris.matthews@arkansascarry.com
    o: www.arkansascarry.com
    p: 501-291-4839

Quote Originally Posted by cmatthews40510 View Post
    http://arkansas-house.granicus.com/M...=2&clip_id=222

NRAILA Liaison testified with the Sponsor for House Bill 1051 today in the AR House Judiciary Committee. The vote failed but it was NOT unanimous.
    Let me quess where the democraps voted.

Quote Originally Posted by Gunslinger View Post
    Let me quess where the democraps voted.
    Several Republicans voted against it as well.... a Republican made the motion to "DO NOT PASS".
    Chris Matthews
    Executive Director | Arkansas Carry
    ============================
    e: chris.matthews@arkansascarry.com
    o: www.arkansascarry.com
    p: 501-291-4839

Founder's Club Member - Moderator Gray Peterson's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by cmatthews40510 View Post
    Several Republicans voted against it as well.... a Republican made the motion to "DO NOT PASS".
    So question, Chris. Since you're having troubles in committee, and Governor Beebe seems to be indicating that he would veto unlicensed OC, would it behoove you to follow the route of Florida and go with licensed OC for the moment, and then eventually go for constitutional carry the year after, similar to what Iowa is doing?

I still don't understand how arkansas has a democratic majority in both state houses and the gov, it's like your the last hold out in the south to keep electing dems.
    Last edited by detroit_fan; 02-11-2011 at 11:40 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by detroit_fan View Post
    I still don't understand how arkansas has a democratic majority in both state houses and the gov, it's like your the last hold out in the south to keep electing dems.
    Sounds like some of the Republicans are RINOs, as well.

We are also one of only a few states to have no budget deficit in these very hard times. In fact, it's in the constitution that we can't budget to spend more than we bring in. How is Michigan doing?

It's not easy to label a Dem as liberal or a Republican as conservative in Arkansas like it is in other states, either.

Quote Originally Posted by Gray Peterson View Post
    So question, Chris. Since you're having troubles in committee, and Governor Beebe seems to be indicating that he would veto unlicensed OC, would it behoove you to follow the route of Florida and go with licensed OC for the moment, and then eventually go for constitutional carry the year after, similar to what Iowa is doing?
    I concur! Tennessee has a similar law, and they're right next door to us, so even the culture is similar. It would seem the way to go by not demanding everything at once.

Quote Originally Posted by Gunslinger View Post
    Sounds like some of the Republicans are RINOs, as well.
    yes i agree not all repubs are pro2A, I just meant I am surprised that all the other southern states have shifted from dem to repub majorities except AR

Quote Originally Posted by Attaboy View Post
    We are also one of only a few states to have no budget deficit in these very hard times. In fact, it's in the constitution that we can't budget to spend more than we bring in. How is Michigan doing?

It's not easy to label a Dem as liberal or a Republican as conservative in Arkansas like it is in other states, either.
    I wasn't trying to insult your state, sorry if it came off that way. Was just making an observation and questioning why.

I wasn't trying to insult your state, sorry if it came off that way. Was just making an observation and questioning why.
    LOL!!! We make fun of ourselves in Arkansas. It's almost a hobby at times to play off the hillbilly image the rest of the country has of us. Who do you think came up with the expression "Thank God for Mississippi."? (It means if it wasn't for Mississippi, we'd be last in everything...) I don't have an AR accent, because I was raised an air force brat. I was in Michigan about this time last year, and I was asked for ID at a store to back up my credit card. The lady looks at my driver license and says, "Arkansas? You don't have an accent." I responded that "we only speak with Arky accents to impress the tourists." I'll be damned if she didn't fall for it.

Arkansas truly is a "Natural State" and also has great roads for motorcycling if you ever get down this way. Highways 23 and 7 through the Ozark and Boston Mountains are awesome rides if you like riding.

Politics here is a world of it's own. We have fiscally conservative dems as well as liberal minded republicans. It takes a while to get used to it.

Come visit! We won't bite hard.

Accomplished Advocate
    telling you, some states like arkansas and texas are going to require the courts to get open carry. anyone going to file suit?

Try to get rid of those committee members voting against it, and get a conservative majority in the AR government so these committees will be pro-gun.

Quote Originally Posted by press1280 View Post
    Try to get rid of those committee members voting against it, and get a conservative majority in the AR government so these committees will be pro-gun.
    Is open carry the only issue you use to select your representatives?

Some of the members voted against this bill not because they were "anti-gun", they voted against it, because it was a poorly written, confusing (after the amendments) and weak bill. That's part of why we elected them - to vote down bad laws. Had it been better written, had the sponsor been better prepared to argue the merits of open carry, and had the NRA sent a rep who was more aware of the current laws in AR, open carry may have had a chance.

Learn the lessons, write a better bill which specifically addresses the concerns of the committee, be prepared in advance for the questions (even the dumb ones), rehearse the responses, and git-er-done!