• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

HB1051 / Open Carry Bill fails in House committee (video included)

Gray Peterson

Founder's Club Member - Moderator
Several Republicans voted against it as well.... a Republican made the motion to "DO NOT PASS".

So question, Chris. Since you're having troubles in committee, and Governor Beebe seems to be indicating that he would veto unlicensed OC, would it behoove you to follow the route of Florida and go with licensed OC for the moment, and then eventually go for constitutional carry the year after, similar to what Iowa is doing?

detroit_fan

I still don't understand how arkansas has a democratic majority in both state houses and the gov, it's like your the last hold out in the south to keep electing dems.

Last edited:

Attaboy

I still don't understand how arkansas has a democratic majority in both state houses and the gov, it's like your the last hold out in the south to keep electing dems.

We are also one of only a few states to have no budget deficit in these very hard times. In fact, it's in the constitution that we can't budget to spend more than we bring in. How is Michigan doing?

It's not easy to label a Dem as liberal or a Republican as conservative in Arkansas like it is in other states, either.

Attaboy

So question, Chris. Since you're having troubles in committee, and Governor Beebe seems to be indicating that he would veto unlicensed OC, would it behoove you to follow the route of Florida and go with licensed OC for the moment, and then eventually go for constitutional carry the year after, similar to what Iowa is doing?

I concur! Tennessee has a similar law, and they're right next door to us, so even the culture is similar. It would seem the way to go by not demanding everything at once.

detroit_fan

Sounds like some of the Republicans are RINOs, as well.

yes i agree not all repubs are pro2A, I just meant I am surprised that all the other southern states have shifted from dem to repub majorities except AR

We are also one of only a few states to have no budget deficit in these very hard times. In fact, it's in the constitution that we can't budget to spend more than we bring in. How is Michigan doing?

It's not easy to label a Dem as liberal or a Republican as conservative in Arkansas like it is in other states, either.

I wasn't trying to insult your state, sorry if it came off that way. Was just making an observation and questioning why.

Attaboy

I wasn't trying to insult your state, sorry if it came off that way. Was just making an observation and questioning why.

LOL!!! We make fun of ourselves in Arkansas. It's almost a hobby at times to play off the hillbilly image the rest of the country has of us. Who do you think came up with the expression "Thank God for Mississippi."? (It means if it wasn't for Mississippi, we'd be last in everything...) I don't have an AR accent, because I was raised an air force brat. I was in Michigan about this time last year, and I was asked for ID at a store to back up my credit card. The lady looks at my driver license and says, "Arkansas? You don't have an accent." I responded that "we only speak with Arky accents to impress the tourists." I'll be damned if she didn't fall for it. :lol:

Arkansas truly is a "Natural State" and also has great roads for motorcycling if you ever get down this way. Highways 23 and 7 through the Ozark and Boston Mountains are awesome rides if you like riding.

Politics here is a world of it's own. We have fiscally conservative dems as well as liberal minded republicans. It takes a while to get used to it.

Come visit! We won't bite hard. :D

Attaboy

Try to get rid of those committee members voting against it, and get a conservative majority in the AR government so these committees will be pro-gun.

Is open carry the only issue you use to select your representatives?

Some of the members voted against this bill not because they were "anti-gun", they voted against it, because it was a poorly written, confusing (after the amendments) and weak bill. That's part of why we elected them - to vote down bad laws. Had it been better written, had the sponsor been better prepared to argue the merits of open carry, and had the NRA sent a rep who was more aware of the current laws in AR, open carry may have had a chance.

Learn the lessons, write a better bill which specifically addresses the concerns of the committee, be prepared in advance for the questions (even the dumb ones), rehearse the responses, and git-er-done!