• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Murphys's Law has me wondering.

CenTex

Has anyone tried carrying spent shells in their revolver or pistol while OCing? Would LEO take kindly to it? Is it against CA law to carry spent shells in a firearm? I've not run across this discussion.

The reason I am asking: If someone has been to a firing range and discharged their revolver and forgot to empty the spent shells before OCing or did some dry firing with some spent shells and forgot to empty their firearm, would he/she be in trouble if echecked by LEO?

Murphy's Law tells me.........YES! Am I right about this?

Addendum: I guess the LEO would be wondering where it was you fired your firearm.

Last edited:

Ruiner.NIN

I wondered the same thing about snap caps. Would LEOs know what snap caps are?

A possible reason to keep a snap cap chambered is to keep debris out of the gun.

CenTex

A possible reason to keep a snap cap chambered is to keep debris out of the gun.

I think most LEOs would know about snap caps. Many may have used them in training.

OT. I think LEOs should not be allowed to carry loaded firearms. They should have to carry them just like OCers. After a few incidences (hopefully nothing serious) they would come to realize how unloaded firearms offer an additional advantage to an assailant.

hrdware

HA!

I think most LEOs would know about snap caps. Many may have used them in training.

When I was in college, I did a speech on gun safety, got to take 2 guns to school for it. When talking to the campus LEO's, they had no clue what snap caps were.

ConditionThree

State Pioneer
The penal code specifies "unexpended ammo" in a position to be fired.

12031(g) A firearm shall be deemed to be loaded for the purposes of this section when there is an unexpended cartridge or shell, consisting of a case that holds a charge of powder and a bullet or shot, in, or attached in any manner to, the firearm, including, but not limited to, in the firing chamber, magazine, or clip thereof attached to the firearm; except that a muzzle-loader firearm shall be deemed to be loaded when it is capped or primed and has a powder charge and ball or shot in the barrel or cylinder.

There are actually more elements than simply 'unexpended ammo' to make it a crime...

An unexpended cartridge consists of;

A case
A charge of powder (presumably gunpowder, although not specifically defined by the statute.)
A bullet
Or shot

If any of that is missing, it is something other than an 'unexpended cartridge' and not applicable to 12031.

Snap caps do not have a charge of gunpowder, or a primer- and while I have not taken one apart, probably doesn't have anything that could be construed as or could be effectively used as a bullet or projectile.

'Blanks' have a charge of gunpowder, but do not have a bullet or shot.

And cases are just an empty cup to hold a charge of gunpowder.

Would empty cases in a revolver cause issues during an (e) check? Maybe, but it wouldnt be illegal. It would likely be justification for police to conduct a broader investigation.

Snap caps and blank cartridges could create problems for the police. At some point the former may be a valuable tool as an ammunition analog for future challenges.

Iopencarry

During the only non-event E-check I have ever had(I was with 3 friends all OC'ing), we had a good chat with the LEO's.
One of them happened to suggest that we all use snap caps.
His reason,

To add weight to the unloaded mag, making it easier to drop.