• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

The media drumming up support for gun bills?

JohnnyO

The gun offender registry should consist of which cell in what prison the offender is located. Anything else is ridiculous!

KIX

This was great at the legislature today.

We're supposed to have 3 minutes, they actually gave me almost ten with me answering questions from committee members.

I'll write more about this tomorrow, but there was a great part when one representative asks me....

"you're from Hartford, right"

"yes"

"There are no gun shops, right?"

"yes"

"how did Hartford get all the guns"

"Not legally, and I don't think those gun owners are going to go and register them"!

The look on her face was rather priceless and got a small chuckle from the corwd.

That was more on the gun registry, but plays out well on the offender registry as well. I was able to counter our pal Senator Loony from New Haven really well. He jumped on the sex offender registry and it's success. I was able to point out to the committee that that is making information available to the public. The LEO's already have the information in the form of NCIC, etc. There is no comparison between the two. I seemed to get the comparison between the two registries being idiotic rather well (from what some observers told me).

I also poked holes in his comparison to other cities with offender registries like Boston, NY and Baltimore. All cities I frequent when I go to ball games. I told the board it's insane to think that a registry brings down the crime. In all my visits to these cities, I've observed other factors that I think bring down crime. Increased police activity, community involvement do a lot more to reduce crime than silly registries.

All in all, testifying felt good. ESPECIALLY poking holes in Senator Looney's flawed logic.

Jonathan

LQM

God job Kix!

<<I'll write more about this tomorrow, but there was a great part when one representative asks me....

"you're from Hartford, right"

"yes"

"There are no gun shops, right?"

"yes"

"how did Hartford get all the guns"

"Not legally, and I don't think those gun owners are going to go and register them"!

The look on her face was rather priceless and got a small chuckle from the corwd.>>

>>>>>

Criminals by definition do not respect the law, why should they respect city boundaries. Only those caught up in the machinations of the legal system on technicalities will be affected by these registry schemes. As it is now, you are subject to arrest for nothing other than "someone called," That constitutes "alarm" and the subsequent "breech of peace" charge that will warrant being placed on a "registry of offenders list." Getting off that registry once the false arrest is proven in court, as it has been in the past, may prove more difficult. I didn't notice any remedies for that in the discussion so far.

Don't get me wrong. I think the registry law and the range safety law will serve nothing more than to cost time, liberty, and money, but I'm afraid the current political make up of our alleged representative government will dictate in the end. I will do everything within my meager resources that I can to mitigate that.

I posted my two cents on the Courant's board.

EDIT: I meant to open with Good Job Kix.

Last edited: