• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

How do you open carry in cold weather?

M

McX

how do i carry in cold weather? the gun is warm, but i'm shivering, cold hands and feet. winter is an eternity, summer just a day.

Last edited:

protias

Usually with a Blackhawk Serpa OWB (with my coat tucked in between) and sometimes with my Safariland 6005 leg holster.

DevinWKuska

Well IMO, you should CC when its cold unless your set against it. I have a few reasons that may or may not be valid.
#1 Most gun holsters are made of polymer or leather, both could get stiff if it were say >30 degrees. This COULD impair your ability to draw your firearm in the moment of need, barring of course you would still need to be able to feel your fingers:uhoh:

#2 Your gun is primarily metal(unless your a Glock or XD fan maybe) metal can stick to other metal parts in below freezing conditions. Unless your dip your gun in gun oil this is a very real problem. Also your ammunition is another factor to consider as far as how reliably will it feed in cold conditions. ( Iknow my when firing at the range when it gets below say 20 degrees I start to experience feeding issues.

since9

Campaign Veteran
SB 5592

Slightly rewords (no better), and bars us from carrying at colleges.... :uhoh:

I hope you're actively opposing this as yet another misguided attempt by irrational legislators to disarm law-abiding citizens and thereby prevent them from protecting themselves against crazies like Cho. Virginia Tech didn't allow students to carry on campus, either. Look how well that worked for them.

therealcombat

I hope you're actively opposing this as yet another misguided attempt by irrational legislators to disarm law-abiding citizens and thereby prevent them from protecting themselves against crazies like Cho. Virginia Tech didn't allow students to carry on campus, either. Look how well that worked for them.

I completely oppose it. Completely agree with everything you said.

DanM

DevinWKuska said:
Well IMO, you should CC when its cold unless your set against it. I have a few reasons that may or may not be valid.
#1 Most gun holsters are made of polymer or leather, both could get stiff if it were say >30 degrees. This COULD impair your ability to draw your firearm in the moment of need

This is not an issue if you are testing your rig and adjusting as necessary, for changes in weapon, accessories, weather, etc. Anyone who is not testing their rig and adjusting as necessary when weapon, accessories, weather, etc. changes should not be carrying, open or concealed, in the first place.

DevinWKuska said:
#2 Your gun is primarily metal(unless your a Glock or XD fan maybe) metal can stick to other metal parts in below freezing conditions.

Untrue. Metal does not stick to metal in subfreezing temps. That is a fact of physics and military experience. Gun parts stick together due to lack of cleaning, and this can be a problem exacerbated by cold weather's effect on any liquid residue in the gun (lowering of viscosity or solidifying).

DevinWKuska said:
Unless your dip your gun in gun oil this is a very real problem.

Read my immediately above comment. That is completely OPPOSITE of what you want to do for cold weather. For OC'ing in cold weather, wipe your gun parts to have LESS residue of any type in the gun.

This is the WORST statement in your post, for anyone preparing for cold weather OC. I hope no one follows this very bad piece of "advice" you gave.

DevinWKuska said:
Also your ammunition is another factor to consider as far as how reliably will it feed in cold conditions. ( Iknow my when firing at the range when it gets below say 20 degrees I start to experience feeding issues.

Again, this is not an issue if you are testing your rig and adjusting as necessary, for changes in weapon, accessories, weather, etc. Mechanical tolerances, including ammunition feeding, are very different among guns and the different conditions they are in. Do not OC a gun in cold weather that has problems functioning in cold weather. Do open carry, if you wish, a gun in cold weather that does not have a problem operating in cold weather. Anyone who is not testing their rig and adjusting as necessary when weapon, accessories, weather, etc. changes should not be carrying, open or concealed, in the first place.

Last edited:

tbc27143

My original question was related to having a concealed carry license from TX but being in NV which does not recognize the TX CHL. NV has an open carry without a license so I want to open carry while there next week. If the weather was cold enough to require a jacket then the jacket would likely cover the gun which now makes me illegal based on NV not recogonizing my TX CHL.

Most other states don't seem to be a problem. They are reciprocal with TX for the most part.