Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Concealed firearm permits

Concealed firearm permits

S.176 -- Common Sense Concealed Firearms Permit Act of 2011 (Introduced in Senate - IS)

S 176 IS

112th CONGRESS

1st Session

S. 176

To establish minimum standards for States that allow the carrying of concealed firearms.

IN THE SENATE OF THE UNITED STATES

January 25 (legislative day, January 5), 2011

Mrs. BOXER introduced the following bill; which was read twice and referred to the Committee on the Judiciary

A BILL

To establish minimum standards for States that allow the carrying of concealed firearms.

Be it enacted by the Senate and House of Representatives of the United States of America in Congress assembled,

SECTION 1. SHORT TITLE.

This Act may be cited as the `Common Sense Concealed Firearms Permit Act of 2011'.

SEC. 2. CONCEALED FIREARMS PERMITS.

(a) In General- Chapter 44 of title 18, United States Code, is amended by inserting after section 926C, the following:

`Sec. 926D. Concealed firearms permits

`(a) In General- Each State that allows residents of the State to carry concealed firearms shall--

`(1) establish a process to issue permits to residents of the State to carry concealed firearms; and

`(2) require that each resident of the State seeking to carry a concealed firearm in the State obtain a permit through the process established under paragraph (1).

`(b) Requirements- In establishing a process to issue permits to carry concealed firearms under subsection (a), a State shall--

`(1) ensure that a local law enforcement agency participates in the process; and

`(2) at a minimum, require that an applicant for a permit to carry a concealed firearm--

`(A) be a legal resident of the United States;

`(B) be not less than 21 years of age;

`(C) demonstrate good cause for requesting a concealed firearm permit; and

`(D) demonstrate that the applicant is worthy of the public trust to carry a concealed firearm in public.

`(c) Law Enforcement Agency Report- If a State establishes a process under subsection (a) that allows for an agency other than a law enforcement agency to issue permits to carry concealed firearms, the process shall require that--

`(1) a local law enforcement agency submit to the agency responsible for issuing permits a written report that describes whether the applicant meets the standards of the State to carry a concealed firearm; and

`(2) the agency responsible for issuing permits maintain a report submitted under paragraph (1) in the file of the applicant.

Well I don't like the requirement to be at least 21.
    "A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity."

"though I walk through the valley in the shadow of death, I fear no evil, for I know that you are by my side" Glock 23:40

I don't like any of it! It's a push to make state rights irrelevant.

`(D) demonstrate that the applicant is worthy of the public trust to carry a concealed firearm in public.

WTF??? Good cause? Not just "Because it's my right to carry a firearm"...
    Certified Glock Armorer

"A government and its agents are under no general duty to provide public services, such as police protection, to any particular individual citizen..." -- Warren v. District of Columbia, 444 A.2d 1 (D.C. App.181)

A 1911 that works properly is as rare as a Glock that doesn't.

The main question is "Where is the Constitutional Justification for this measure?

If Congress is going to consider legislation like this they at least ought to include "mandatory reciprocity" in it.

Also, make the requirements "Shall Issue" to all who are not Felons or "adjudicated as Mentally Unqualified".
    "If I shoot all the ammo I am carrying I either won't need anymore or more won't help"

"If you refuse to stand up for others now, who will stand up for you when your time comes?"

Quote Originally Posted by bennie1986 View Post
    +1

My first reaction when I saw Senator Boxer's name on it was oh oh, what now. A permit for just cause? It sounds like Hawaii. I believe she is real close to stepping on the 2nd Amendment. I plan to right our senators (probably wont do much good). I would anticipate that this won't go far but you never know.

+2
    I do not have to "proove my worth" to anyone

Moderator / Administrator Grapeshot's Avatar
    NO, NO, NO!

Violation of States Rights and makes all permits "may issue"
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training. Archilochus, 650 BC

Old and treacherous will beat young and skilled every time. Yata hey.

`(a) In General- Each State that allows residents of the State to carry concealed firearms shall--

`(1) establish a process to issue permits to residents of the State to carry concealed firearms; and

THIS MAKES CONSTITUTIONAL CARRY STATES REQUIRE PERMITS WTF!

O_mama isn't after your gun rights ........ but his minions ARE.

Can you tell the difference?
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training. Archilochus, 650 BC

This bill could end up making as said before a may issue and could at the whim of any law enforcement agency to revokes ones license, I vote for constitutional carry it is my right and I carry.
    • Being prepared is to prepare, this is our responsibility.
    • I am not your Mommy or Daddy and do not sugar coat it but I will tell you simply as how I see it, it is up to you on how you will or will not use it.
    • IANAL, all information I present is for your review, do your own homework.

WORTHY!?!?! what makes me "worthy"? I haven't received any formal training, but I go to the range plenty! Who are the feds to decide whether or not I am worthy of exercising my right to defend myself!

Any time a politician uses the term "common sense" in the title or body of a bill.....
    CZ 75B 9mm, Ruger P94 .40 S&W, Bersa Thunder .380, AR-15 Homebuild

Quote Originally Posted by SpyderTattoo View Post

WTF??? Good cause? Not just "Because it's my right to carry a firearm"...
    I didn't catch that at first read. What a crock of crap. The writer and sponsors of this bill should be required to resign their positions as they are proposing an unconstitutional bill.
    "A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity."

"though I walk through the valley in the shadow of death, I fear no evil, for I know that you are by my side" Glock 23:40

booo

Creeping tyranny is the definition of this kind of 'common sense'.

Flush twice at the voting booth.

+3

I know this is a dumb question but if this goes through wold this be sate wide or country wide?
    "Fight like you train, train like you fight"

Introduced Jan. 25. No cosponsors. This bill isn't going anywhere.

http://tinyurl.com/4p2lhvk

Quote Originally Posted by fire suppressor View Post
    +3

I know this is a dumb question but if this goes through wold this be sate wide or country wide?
    The standards would be federal, but not to anyone's benefit. It would be a major step back for states that have their own permit system and no net gain for those without.

Plain and simple gun control.

If they replaced any version of the words "carry a concealed firearm" with the words "receive welfare", then I might be for it, otherwise, F off whomever is behind that piece of crap.

Quote Originally Posted by Grapeshot View Post
    NO, NO, NO!

Violation of States Rights and makes all permits "may issue"
    And an extra HELL NO!

For good measure.
    Last edited by FMCDH; 02-11-2011 at 01:05 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by amlevin View Post
    The main question is "Where is the Constitutional Justification for this measure?...................

I bet you a buck that they will either say "commerce clause" or "necessary and proper clause".

That seems to be the ones they use the most when attempting to usurp rights from the states or the people.

Sooner or later the states are going to have to stand up against the Federal government and bind it once again to the chains of the constitution. If they continue to refuse to do so they will surely parish, and will become no more then simple jurisdictions of the same government.
    A wise and frugal Government, which shall restrain men from injuring one another, shall leave them otherwise free to regulate their own pursuits of industry and improvement, and shall not take from the mouth of labor the bread it has earned. This is the sum of good government.- Thomas Jefferson March 4 1801

+1.

Introduced by Barbara Boxer? I mean seriously.

http://www.ontheissues.org/domestic/...un_Control.htm

Quote Originally Posted by dadada View Post
    If they replaced any version of the words "carry a concealed firearm" with the words "receive welfare", then I might be for it, otherwise, F off whomever is behind that piece of crap.

Roger that.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast