• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

My Letter to Rep Dean Knutson and Senator Sheila Harsdorf with reply

Big River Leather

I wrote the following email to my legislators. I received a very positive reply from Representative Knudson. I've not heard from Senator Harsdorf yet but we have communicated in the past and she does support concealed carry legislation. I'm just not sure of her stance on Constitutional Carry

Representative Knudson and Senator Harsdorf,

I'm writing this overdue email to encourage your support of a Constitutional Carry Bill for the State of WI. It is common knowledge that WI is ripe for some type of concealed Carry Legislation, but it is my hope that if we travel down that road we make the right moves. I've attached a document drafted by Wisconsin Carry, Inc which highlights the options we face. I'll express my concerns which are detailed in this document, not necessarily in the order listed there.

Repeal Wisconsin's concealed carry ban [s.941.23]
Bring WI into the 21st century and afford the right to lawful citizens to protect themselves as the constitution intended. By implementing this change with constitutional carry citizens would be able to protect themselves just as they are allowed to now by open carry, only with the right to carry concealed.

Repeal Wisconsin's Gun Free School Zone Act [s.948.605?]
While the intentions of this law are good, it is absurd that a legally carried gun (whether open or concealed) cannot be carried within 1,000 feet of a school. I live in the small town of Prescott WI. I don't think there is a place within the city limits that I would be legal to carry a handgun because of the proximity to the schools in town. I would support legislation that would ban handguns on school property if it had to be, but would even prefer that was not restricted. The reason for this is the following - I have a concealed carry permit for the State of MN which I conduct most of my business in, both personal and professional. I exercise my right to protect myself by carrying a handgun on a daily basis. Both of my children have been or are schooled in MN at private institutions. I often am called to pick them up or deal with some type of situation at the school, often unplanned. By law I cannot go onto the school grounds with my handgun on my person or in my vehicle. When I am out and about on my daily routine, I have no option. This can greatly restrict the right for one to protect themselves with a legal firearm. Even legislation that would allow for an unloaded cased weapon would be better than a complete ban.

Repeal or alter the Vehicle Transport Statute [s.167.31]
Much along the same lines as the case stated above, one cannot realistically exercise their right to protect themselves within their own vehicle if the weapon has to be unloaded and cased. It also goes beyond an inconvenience for a person to have to unloaded and case then uncased and reload their weapon each time they get in and out of their vehicle in order to stay protected. It also would create a greater opportunity for an accidental discharge with all of the handling that would require. The safest place for a firearm, next to a safe, is in a holster.

I'm looking forward to what appears to be a positive swing in Wisconsin's change. Let's set the bar high rather than just playing catchup with the rest of the country.

Thank you!

I received this reply from Dean.

Scott,

Thank you for contacting me. I am a supporter of Constitutional Carry and am looking forward to a bill during this legislative session. Please provide a phone number so we can discuss your specific concerns as it relates to Carry laws.

Sincerely,

S T A T E R E P R E S E N T A T I V E
DEAN KNUDSON
3 0 T H A S S E M B L Y D I S T R I C T
P.O. Box 8952 • Madison, WI 53708-8952
(608) 266-1526 • Fax: (608) 282-3630
Toll-Free: (888) 529-0030
30th Assembly District: (715) 690-9225
Rep.Knudson@legis.wi.gov

Dean called me yesterday and we had a very good talk. He said that many of the Reps wanted to take the old bill that Doyle vetoed and run that through and be done with it. Thankfully, due to him and some others, the convinced them to hold off. They feel they can do much better than the old bill.

The biggest obstacle is that many, even most of the new representatives, even republicans that are in fair of CCW legislation, are unaware of Constitutional Carry. There needs to be some education from other reps and more importantly, their constituents about why constitutional carry is so important and makes more sense than a permit based system. Their biggest objection is training, or lack thereof that goes along with a constitutional carry system. My comment to Dean was that very few if any of these legislators have ever been through a permit required CCW class. I have. I possess a MN CHL and had to take the class. It was a highly rated class that puts thousands of "students" through every year. While I found most of the class interesting, I wouldn't call it "training". The majority of it related to how to handle a threatening situation and what do do should an incident occur. At the end was a marksmanship test. There was no real instruction or training on firing the firearm, just pass or fail on the test which determined whether or not you were permit eligible.

So, if the Reps think there would be pandemonium without required training, I'd have to disagree. There are absolutely quality courses out there and the class I took followed the guidelines and requirements mandated by the state of MN. I would encourage making these classes readily available with contact info for classes in your area, but not mandatory.

We also discussed that he would like to get constitutional carry passed now, then work towards amending the WI Constitution to include the right to concealed carry. This process is much more time consuming, but is more permanent once it is passed. It requires passing the house and senate, I think he said again after the next election, then it would go to referendum for the residents of the state of WI to vote on.

We talked about the School Zone Gun Free law. His words were - "That's just dumb."

There is a lot of work to be done and people really need to contact their reps. They are willing to talk and listen, but to get this done right, a little work from everybody will go a long, long way.

IcrewUH60

I wrote the following email to my legislators. I received a very positive reply from Representative Knudson. I've not heard from Senator Harsdorf yet but we have communicated in the past and she does support concealed carry legislation. I'm just not sure of her stance on Constitutional Carry

Representative Knudson and Senator Harsdorf,

I'm writing this overdue email to encourage your support of a Constitutional Carry Bill for the State of WI. It is common knowledge that WI is ripe for some type of concealed Carry Legislation, but it is my hope that if we travel down that road we make the right moves. I've attached a document drafted by Wisconsin Carry, Inc which highlights the options we face. I'll express my concerns which are detailed in this document, not necessarily in the order listed there.

Repeal Wisconsin's concealed carry ban [s.941.23]
Bring WI into the 21st century and afford the right to lawful citizens to protect themselves as the constitution intended. By implementing this change with constitutional carry citizens would be able to protect themselves just as they are allowed to now by open carry, only with the right to carry concealed.

Repeal Wisconsin's Gun Free School Zone Act [s.948.605?]
While the intentions of this law are good, it is absurd that a legally carried gun (whether open or concealed) cannot be carried within 1,000 feet of a school. I live in the small town of Prescott WI. I don't think there is a place within the city limits that I would be legal to carry a handgun because of the proximity to the schools in town. I would support legislation that would ban handguns on school property if it had to be, but would even prefer that was not restricted. The reason for this is the following - I have a concealed carry permit for the State of MN which I conduct most of my business in, both personal and professional. I exercise my right to protect myself by carrying a handgun on a daily basis. Both of my children have been or are schooled in MN at private institutions. I often am called to pick them up or deal with some type of situation at the school, often unplanned. By law I cannot go onto the school grounds with my handgun on my person or in my vehicle. When I am out and about on my daily routine, I have no option. This can greatly restrict the right for one to protect themselves with a legal firearm. Even legislation that would allow for an unloaded cased weapon would be better than a complete ban.

Repeal or alter the Vehicle Transport Statute [s.167.31]
Much along the same lines as the case stated above, one cannot realistically exercise their right to protect themselves within their own vehicle if the weapon has to be unloaded and cased. It also goes beyond an inconvenience for a person to have to unloaded and case then uncased and reload their weapon each time they get in and out of their vehicle in order to stay protected. It also would create a greater opportunity for an accidental discharge with all of the handling that would require. The safest place for a firearm, next to a safe, is in a holster.

I'm looking forward to what appears to be a positive swing in Wisconsin's change. Let's set the bar high rather than just playing catchup with the rest of the country.

Thank you!

I received this reply from Dean.

Scott,

Thank you for contacting me. I am a supporter of Constitutional Carry and am looking forward to a bill during this legislative session. Please provide a phone number so we can discuss your specific concerns as it relates to Carry laws.

Sincerely,

S T A T E R E P R E S E N T A T I V E
DEAN KNUDSON
3 0 T H A S S E M B L Y D I S T R I C T
P.O. Box 8952 • Madison, WI 53708-8952
(608) 266-1526 • Fax: (608) 282-3630
Toll-Free: (888) 529-0030
30th Assembly District: (715) 690-9225
Rep.Knudson@legis.wi.gov

Dean called me yesterday and we had a very good talk. He said that many of the Reps wanted to take the old bill that Doyle vetoed and run that through and be done with it. Thankfully, due to him and some others, the convinced them to hold off. They feel they can do much better than the old bill.

The biggest obstacle is that many, even most of the new representatives, even republicans that are in fair of CCW legislation, are unaware of Constitutional Carry. There needs to be some education from other reps and more importantly, their constituents about why constitutional carry is so important and makes more sense than a permit based system. Their biggest objection is training, or lack thereof that goes along with a constitutional carry system. My comment to Dean was that very few if any of these legislators have ever been through a permit required CCW class. I have. I possess a MN CHL and had to take the class. It was a highly rated class that puts thousands of "students" through every year. While I found most of the class interesting, I wouldn't call it "training". The majority of it related to how to handle a threatening situation and what do do should an incident occur. At the end was a marksmanship test. There was no real instruction or training on firing the firearm, just pass or fail on the test which determined whether or not you were permit eligible.

So, if the Reps think there would be pandemonium without required training, I'd have to disagree. There are absolutely quality courses out there and the class I took followed the guidelines and requirements mandated by the state of MN. I would encourage making these classes readily available with contact info for classes in your area, but not mandatory.

We also discussed that he would like to get constitutional carry passed now, then work towards amending the WI Constitution to include the right to concealed carry. This process is much more time consuming, but is more permanent once it is passed. It requires passing the house and senate, I think he said again after the next election, then it would go to referendum for the residents of the state of WI to vote on.

We talked about the School Zone Gun Free law. His words were - "That's just dumb."

There is a lot of work to be done and people really need to contact their reps. They are willing to talk and listen, but to get this done right, a little work from everybody will go a long, long way.

pure awesomeness....

Max

I have been saying for some time now that our legislators have no idea of the statutory insanity that exists in this state as it pertains to the right to bear arms. We need to be educators and show them the way.
Great job in doing that Big River. Well written letter.

Last edited:

johnny amish

+10000000000
Now is our time. ALL of us need to be in constant contact with our elected officials and let them know what it is that we want. If we don't tell them what direction to go in I assure you the anti's will.

Gunslinger

Like I said before, I expect big things from WI this year. And it will effectively surround the PDR of IL with Free States. Then it's time to invade....

Captain Nemo

!0th Senate District

I also live in Disctrict 10. Following is a Feb. 1, 2011 response I received from Sheila Harsdorf.

"Thank you for contacting me to express your support for Constitutional carry. I appreciate your continued input on firearms rights issues.

As you know from our prior correspondence, I support enacting legislation to allow law-abiding citizens to carry a concealed firearm. While focusing on jobs and growing our economy must be the Legislature's top priority this season, I am confident that we will be able to pass legislation enabling law-abiding citizens to carry weapons. Be assured I will keep your support for Constitutional carry in mind as the State legislature takes up this issue."

Last edited:

Big River Leather

I also live in Disctrict 10. Following is a Feb. 1, 2011 response I received from Sheila Harsdorf.

"Thank you for contacting me to express your support for Constitutional carry. I appreciate your continued input on firearms rights issues.

As you know from our prior correspondence, I support enacting legislation to allow law-abiding citizens to carry a concealed firearm. While focusing on jobs and growing our economy must be the Legislature's top priority this season, I am confident that we will be able to pass legislation enabling law-abiding citizens to carry weapons. Be assured I will keep your support for Constitutional carry in mind as the State legislature takes up this issue."

Interesting. I read that as she supports concealed carry which I already knew, but that she does not support constitutional carry. I might have to try to get in touch with her and ask her directly without letting her side step it.

BrewTownBagger

Big River Leather

Just read your post about the response from your rep, was wondering if you would mind if I use your letter as a template to my reps. It was very good and will be a big help to me.

BrewTownBagger

Big River Leather

Just read your post about the response from your rep, was wondering if you would mind if I use your letter as a template to my reps. It was very good and will be a big help to me.

THX BRL, I just sent out the emails, will keep the forum posted as to the response that I get :banana: