• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

SONS OF GUNS and TOP SHOT

jbone

So, what do other's like of this showS? I enjoy them myself.

I hope SONS of GUNS doesn't end-up like the Teutul's. Of course TOP-SHOT season two just started also, they always have some great weapons to shoot, Model 29 on season opener.

Last edited:

zack991

Top Shot is complete garbage, if I wanted to watch a bunch of red verses blue drama I will turn on MTV. That and there is only a select few actual talented shooters and the rest are the self professed great shooters. Other than the nice weapons it’s not worth the power to turn on the TV

As for Sons of guns, a great show. I met both Will and his daughter when I had to get some work done on a few of my weapons when I was stationed down there with the US Army. His daughter knows a hell of a lot about all types of guns and would embarrass the so called gun nuts.

Last edited:

jbone

Top Shot is complete garbage, if I wanted to watch a bunch of red verses blue drama I will turn on MTV.

Seriously? You’d rather watch a nasty short fat thing with a dog’s “Snooky”, than blue v. Red with guns. :D

****, I'd watch a Michael Moore movie before I watch MTV.

zack991

Seriously? You’d rather watch a nasty short fat thing with a dog’s “Snooky”, than blue v. Red with guns. :D

****, I'd watch a Michael Moore movie before I watch MTV.

Don't even get me started on the other crap thats on reality TV. I am picky on what I watch I am more of discovery channel or history channel type of guy. The only good thing that top shot had was some cool weapons and besides that its nothing new. They don't say how or why these people where picked to be on the show and what makes them stand out from you or I. Hell I could make most of those shots, they only have a few true expert shooters.

Last edited:

Tess

Founder's Club Member
So, what do other's like of this showS? I enjoy them myself.

I hope SONS of GUNS doesn't end-up like the Teutul's. Of course TOP-SHOT season two just started also, they always have some great weapons to shoot, Model 29 on season opener.

Near as I could tell with the one episode of TOP SHOT I tried to watch, about 5 minutes of shooting, 30 minutes of psychobabble, and 25 minutes of "up next" or "before the break" repetition.

Can you say "mind-numbing"? I knew you could.

zack991

Near as I could tell with the one episode of TOP SHOT I tried to watch, about 5 minutes of shooting, 30 minutes of psychobabble, and 25 minutes of "up next" or "before the break" repetition.

Can you say "mind-numbing"? I knew you could.

I just watched the first one on Hulu and well it was just like the last one. More drama than anything and very little skilled shooting and the typical its his/her fault. I want 90 percent shooting skills and no more than 2 mins of drama bs. Yet I know the stupid drama makes it more eventful for its viewers with a poor attention span.

Last edited:

ElW75

Do both shows paint firearms and firearms owners in a positive light? Do they dispel the myth that guns are evil? Then regardless, they are a million times better than one of those 60 minutes specials about how criminals go to gun shows and arm themselves with anti-aircraft guns or whatever is passing for the latest "investigative" reporting.

jbone

I did find the last episode disturbing, Will sent away a couple because he felt they weren't ready for ownership :cuss:

I would educated and trained them, made some money and introduced another responsible firearm owning family to the USA.

jbone

They don't say how or why these people where picked to be on the show and what makes them stand out from you or I. Hell I could make most of those shots, they only have a few true expert shooters.

I know that have a golfer who says he's never shot a gun:eek: Perhaps there's going to be a challenge involving golf clubs?

Last edited:

anmut

Sons Of Guns TV show...

Caught an episode of this today. Usually I love watching anything firearm related. This show, however, caught me off guard. Unfortunately I think that this show is the wrong type of portrayal of gun ownership and could, conceivable, be produced by an anti. Here are my reasons:

- All guns they dealt with in this episode were fully auto and/or suppressed "evil black guns." 10/22 short-barrel with a can and folding stock. Fully auto 50 M2. Flame thrower. Suppressed 12g.

- Shooting the guns was devastatingly terrible to watch. Any guns shot at their range everybody was all over the target, and in the case of the 10/22, just pulling the trigger as fast as they could for no reason. When they shot the .50 M2 the tracer rounds started fires and the targets exploded! Yes, apparently with a .50 when you shoot cardboard cutouts of tanks (shooting tanks with M2??) they explode!

- On more than one occasion I watched completely lack of muzzle control, where the firearm was "swept" around the room and the viewer (and assuming cameraman) gets a nice shot of looking down the barrel.

Needless to say, any uniformed voter channel surfing will see this show and assume that 1) all guns are evil black, 2) all targets explode when shot at 3) picking up a full auto or suppressed weapon is as easy as walking in and out 4) anyone that shoots a gun will not be able to hit a human sized target no matter who they are.

I'm fairly angry about it. I will be writing letters to the networks, the gun store in LA that is featured in the show, and the sponsors of the show.

Watch it your self and see if this is how you want the uninformed learning about firearms, from a "REALITY" show... As that is how it is sold to the consumer...

dng

State Researcher
Unfortunately safe gun handling does a not always make for spectacular tv. I have enjoyed the show, but there have been some things that could be fuel for the anti gun fire. At least they were honest and told viewers the targets were rigged with pyrotechnics. I didn't care for the use of a grenade launcher in shooting flares in the air outside the front door, though.

END_THE_FED

I stumbled across "Sons Of Guns" the other day and I liked it.
Last season I watched the first handful of episode of "Top Shot". I liked it at first, but lost interest because of all the immature drama and B.S. so I stopped watching.

zack991

I did find the last episode disturbing, Will sent away a couple because he felt they weren't ready for ownership :cuss:

I would educated and trained them, made some money and introduced another responsible firearm owning family to the USA.

Well I agree he has that right to refuse to sell to people who are not sure about owning a firearm and are doing it on a whim. I think anyone who is wishing to own a tool like a firearm needs to really think hard if they want to take the on the extreme responsibility of owning a firearm. If it’s something they want to do, you need to do research and you must get some form of training, way too many people own guns that don't have the will to use them defensively. They do more harm to others and their families, not to mention the gun community by owning a firearm. People like that couple are not taking it seriously like they should be and need to go home and think if it’s a right step for them or not. As for education them he could have and it just never made it in, you cant force training on anyone not yet ready to listen. You could even see in the show that couple did not agree with each other choice, much less were ready to buy anything.

I have refused to sell to people who were first time buyers that did no research and they were doing it on a whim just because they seen it on TV and thought it was cool. Too many do not get any instructions on proper weapons handling and they don't take the responsibility seriously. People whom fall into this category are the ones who give the ant-s all the ammo they could ever use against us. Everyone has a right to firearms but way to may treat the responsibility too lightly and hurt the gun community more than the gun banners do.

Last edited:

wrightme

I think on that specific encounter, we only saw the video footage that they chose to include in the show. In other words, we only have a possible small part of the encounter to judge it upon. What is missing may well make it clear.

Dreamer

I've seen a few episodes of "Sons of Guns", and found them to be entertaining, informative, and even educational. They seem to really talk a lot about the history of specific weapons (like the flame thrower, and the Ma Deuce) which I really enjoy...

"Top Shot", on the other hand is getting more and more annoying the longer it runs. The psycho-drama BS is just plain irritating. Personally, I'd rather they just edit out all the chit chat and have a full hour of challenge courses and weapons history.

And another thing that annoys me about TopShot is the "professional" and "competition" shooters they choose for the show. They all seem to be whiney little geeks or world-class A-holes with over-inflated egos. I've met a LOT of high-end competitors, including Todd Jarrett (who is a REAL gentleman), and almost every "ranked" IPSC and USPSA shooter I've ever met has been friendly, cordial, courteous, and helpful. The obnoxious ones--even at high-pressure, high-profile matches--are EXCEEDINGLY rare...

But somehow they always seem to find the three or four biggest asshats in the competitive shooting community for each new season of "TopShot".

And I'd venture a guess that the host doesn't know the difference between a .357 Magnum and a 354 Hemi.

I don't mean nothin' by that, I'm just sayin...

jbone

I don’t tend to analyze and compare the shows to real shooters, competitions, and real customers but take it for what it is a “REALALITY TV”. Shows designed with little or no real world properties. Staged, scripted and cast with ******* arrogant lip servers and village idiots for sucking in viewers. Just like watching the dumb gold miners in Alaska, (no guts no glory, the glory hole, you’re all millionaires) that voice alone is so irritating, but they are entertaining. Dorsey was the centerpiece of stupid, too bad that boob left the group. That show I watch for the antics, the other two purely for the interest of what will be built or shot next. Did we see the guy in the AK-47 suppressor episode? Weird!
Face it the people walking through Will’s door aren’t by chance; they are cast for the episode. Just like the two I was upset over Will turning away; giving up the opportunity to educate and arm. But, seriously these two looked and acted like two crummy inexpensive actors, or peons off the set, episode time fillers I suspect. On top shot, when the guns come out and the shitty self proclaimed expert shooters take aim I’m watching, when they’re at the house and the BS starts I’m checking email.

zack991