• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Anonyone know if Barnes and Noble follows State law when it comes to Open Carry?

jamesb3002

Just wondering if anyone has had any problems open carrying at Barnes & Noble 4th Plain Blvd.

I joined a book club that meets there monthly and was wondering if I would run into any problems.

Thanks for any information.

James

heresolong

Barnes and Noble follows state law when it comes to firearms. State law allows private companies to choose. Either way, they are following state law.

Presumably, based on the text of your post, rather than the title, you want to know if B&N has a policy prohibiting firearms in their bookstores, a subject of much indifference to state law. I have never had a problem but I have never heard a policy expressed one way or the other.

Venator

Anti-Saldana Freedom Fighter
What I received a few years ago.

Barnes & Noble
Original Message From: "Mary Ausman" <MJAusman@bn.com>
To: XXXXXXXXXXX
Sent: Monday, July 21, 2008 1:42 PM
Subject: Barnes & Noble

Thank you for your email.

While we are unable to discuss customer situations with an uninvolved third part, to answer your question, Barnes & Noble complies with the law and, except where prohibited by law, does not prohibit its customers from carrying handguns or other firearms in a Barnes & Noble store in accordance with the laws of the state in which a store is located.

Sincerely,
Mary Ausman
Supervisor, Customer Retention
Barnes & Noble, Inc. 122 Fifth Avenue New York, NY 10011
tel: (800) 422-7717 fax: (212)352.3660 www.barnesandnobleinc.com

amlevin

In time it might not matter what Barnes and Noble thinks about guns in their stores. With the e-Book revolution, B & N, Borders, and countless others are in such financial doo-doo that it won't be long that they will be closing stores as fast as the news media can report.

Who buys books anymore? At least the kind where you have to build shelves to hold them. As Dori Monson said on his show yesterday, "I can come home, eat dinner, watch some TV, and then go to bed to read for a while on my "Kindle". I can browse dozens of books, read the first chapter for free, and within seconds download one to read. Don't have to go to the store and spend $25 for a book that I can download for under $10.".

Bookstores will join other icons of the past like Ice Men, Milkmen, and Blacksmiths.

DevinWKuska

In time it might not matter what Barnes and Noble thinks about guns in their stores. With the e-Book revolution, B & N, Borders, and countless others are in such financial doo-doo that it won't be long that they will be closing stores as fast as the news media can report.

Who buys books anymore? At least the kind where you have to build shelves to hold them. As Dori Monson said on his show yesterday, "I can come home, eat dinner, watch some TV, and then go to bed to read for a while on my "Kindle". I can browse dozens of books, read the first chapter for free, and within seconds download one to read. Don't have to go to the store and spend $25 for a book that I can download for under $10.".

Bookstores will join other icons of the past like Ice Men, Milkmen, and Blacksmiths.

LOL! Soon enough Barnes and knoble will only sell coffee and Kindles/e-readers!

Bill Starks

State Researcher
Guys go and look at the downloads section on Northwest Citizens Defense League
http://forum.nwcdl.org/index.php?action=downloads

Misc letters:
Employment Security Letter by Mark Knapp
Ken Shram & Tom Brewster 10/7/10 KOMO radio
Ken Shram & Dave Workman on Tom Brewster
Pierce Co detainment
KOIN TV Guns in Parks
AGO - guns at school functions
Point Defiance Zoo
Kurt Kirby VPD Report
Kurk Kirby 911 call (Vancouver WA)
CPL by County as of Mar 4, 2010
No Guns No Business Card
City of Tacoma and Tacoma Dome Nov 2008 #1
City of Tacoma and Tacoma Dome Dec 2008 #2
City of Tacoma and Tacoma Dome Jan 2009 #3
08/19/2008 MWAG Tukwila
Law Enforcement Digest Nov 2008
AGO Firearm Preemption Opinion
Seattle Executive Order 07-08
City and County Code Spreadsheet
Blockbuster Video 911 call

Store policy bulletins
Safeway Weapons Policy
Weapons Carry at Stadium
Chase Bank - no firearms
Best Buy
Fred Meyer / Kroger
Walmart Contacts
Washington Liquor Control Board
Toys R US
Barnes & Noble
Lowes
Home Depot

Court Rulings
AGO Terry Stop for firearm opinion (William B Collins)
Atty General and Preemption on city property
Chan v Seattle (Reply in Support)
Chan vs. Seattle
St.John v Alamogordo ( 10th circuit )
155 Wn.2d 506, State v. Brightman
DC v. Heller
Alameda vs Nordyke
State v. James Lee Williams
DURO v. REINA, 495 U.S. 676 (1990) .pdf
OLIPHANT v. SUQUAMISH INDIAN TRIBE, 435 U.S. 191 (1978) .pdf

Training Bulletins
2 page - Washington State Frequently Asked Questions About Gun Carry
AGO -Carry on city property
Police Chief Magazine - Gun Possession
US Forest Service
City of Tacoma and Tacoma Dome Jan 2009 #3
Spokane City Training Bulletin
Seattle Police training bulletin
Olympia Training Directive
King County OC training bulletin
Federal Way OC training bulletin
Kent OC training bulletin

oneeyeross

...Who buys books anymore?...

I do, and always will.

While I do read ebooks, there are times and places where the shear joy of holding a book, turning a page and smelling the glue of the binding is a wonder.

Of course, I still think firearms should be made of steel, raise a lot of my own meat, drink well water believe shoes should be made from leather. Yes, I am a Luddite...

Metalhead47

I do, and always will.

While I do read ebooks, there are times and places where the shear joy of holding a book, turning a page and smelling the glue of the binding is a wonder.

Of course, I still think firearms should be made of steel, raise a lot of my own meat, drink well water believe shoes should be made from leather. Yes, I am a Luddite...

What he said.

Good ol' books are just more durable. Drop a book from 10 feet and it does nothing to it, maybe scuff the cover. Drop your kindle from half that and you're looking for a new one. I tend to be pretty rough on my books, given what they end up looking like when I finish reading I don't think an e-book thingy would survive very long. And then there's the warm fuzzy you get when you've got a wall full of hundreds or thousands of books (or just boxes of em), anyone ready to pick up & read, no downloading, no powering on.

There's the battery issue too. Power frugal as they are, ebooks won't match the original when the zombie apocalypse starts and the power goes out. And in a pinch a nice heavy hardcover (think Stephen King or Robert Jordan) makes a handy zombie-thumper :lol:

amlevin

There's the battery issue too. Power frugal as they are, ebooks won't match the original when the zombie apocalypse starts and the power goes out. And in a pinch a nice heavy hardcover (think Stephen King or Robert Jordan) makes a handy zombie-thumper :lol:

I've heard that if you rub two liberals together you can generate electricity. If you just p!$$ one off you can get sparks.

jamesb3002

Awesome guys, thank you.

As for the ebooks thing, I myself have a Kindle and read all my books that way. Only reason I goto a book store is for my book club lol.

amlevin

On that note do we really need to keep paying for public libraries? :lol:

I'll stick with public libraries and real books.

Why?

Well, they were good enough for Benjamin Franklin they are good enough for me.

Absolutely. They are a good investment and in some ways better than what we're dumping in our school system.

There are more than just a few people that want to learn more and will get off their butts, go to a library, and do the necessary reading and research to get that knowledge.

Lending libraries have provided for advancement of knowledge over the centuries to every class of citizen. Makes knowledge available even to those who can't afford to buy books or go to college. That is, for those that put forth the effort. That's one tax I don't mind paying and it's not all that much where I live.