• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Anonyone know if Barnes and Noble follows State law when it comes to Open Carry?

Metalhead47

On that note do we really need to keep paying for public libraries? :lol:

Of course. Public libraries are a traditional and legitimate roll of government. As Gogo pointed out, even the founders (well one at least) thought so too. Public libraries are a minimal expense compared to the DoE, ATF, EPA, HUD, and all the other alphabet soup illegitimate rolls of gov't.

sudden valley gunner

I think they are great myself too. But we have to weigh how much they are being used and the expense to upkeep them. I personally would love to see them continue on a contribution basis.

Metalhead47

I think they are great myself too. But we have to weigh how much they are being used and the expense to upkeep them. I personally would love to see them continue on a contribution basis.

Again, if we weren't wasting billion$ on BS liberal social programs, there would be plenty available for public libraries without the need for extra contributions.

sudden valley gunner

Again, if we weren't wasting billion$ on BS liberal social programs, there would be plenty available for public libraries without the need for extra contributions.

I agree, to some point, but I have spent the last few years broke as hell and look at all or anything I am forced to pay taxes in or loose things like my house to the government because I don't as just plain wrong. I'll throw, Firestations, Policing, libraries, schools into that mix. Find other ways of paying for them other than socializing them. I'd rather have a place to live where I could read books than be able to read books and have no place to live.

Personally I think our sales tax is fine and is more than enough to pay for basics, without having to have the communistic "property" taxes.

I also go and buy the book of authors I like, this pays them and encourages them to write more.

oneeyeross

I love libraries. I spend a great deal of time in them, wandering the isles, reading book after book. Where else in the world can I go and be able to go from "The Fall of Rome" to "Robinson Crusoe" in an afternoon? Over the last several years, I've begun to read and reread a lot of the classic literature, and the public library has been very instrumental in doing that. Didn't have to pay a thing, no waiting, no lines, just pick up a book and read.

Best public expense after the fire department ever.

sudden valley gunner

I love libraries too, just don't feel we should be forced to pay for something others love.

Union fire halls vs. Volunteer, I choose volunteer, less of a burden to society.

gogodawgs

Campaign Veteran
Ben Franklin Autobiography

This Library afforded me the Means of Improvement by constant Study, for which I set apart an Hour or two each Day; and thus repair'd in some Degree the Loss of the Learned Education my Father once intended for me. Reading was the only Amusement I allow'd myself. I spent no time in Taverns, Games, or Frolics of any kind. And my Industry in my Business continu'd as indefatigable as it was necessary. [Part II, p. 64]

Metalhead47

I agree, to some point, but I have spent the last few years broke as hell and look at all or anything I am forced to pay taxes in or loose things like my house to the government because I don't as just plain wrong. I'll throw, Firestations, Policing, libraries, schools into that mix. Find other ways of paying for them other than socializing them. I'd rather have a place to live where I could read books than be able to read books and have no place to live.

Personally I think our sales tax is fine and is more than enough to pay for basics, without having to have the communistic "property" taxes.

I also go and buy the book of authors I like, this pays them and encourages them to write more.

I think, as usual, you & I really agree on 90% of what "ought" to be. What's needed in this country is a massive, revolutionary paradigm shift. Those are hard to come by. To me, grumbling over paying for public libraries while the gov't's tax and spend billions is like complaining about an ingrown toenail while you're simultaneously bleeding to death and dying of cancer.

We both want a return to a true constitutional gov't. Get back to that, eliminate the colossal illegitimate spending that we both agree needs to go, and there's be no need for us to be going back & forth over public libraries (and I'll throw in fire & police dept's as legitimate community expenses) and such since they could easily be financed by a small local sales tax. And property taxes would be specifically constitutionally forbidden :cool:

Metalhead47

This Library afforded me the Means of Improvement by constant Study, for which I set apart an Hour or two each Day; and thus repair'd in some Degree the Loss of the Learned Education my Father once intended for me. Reading was the only Amusement I allow'd myself. I spent no time in Taverns, Games, or Frolics of any kind. And my Industry in my Business continu'd as indefatigable as it was necessary. [Part II, p. 64]

w0rd. I see public libraries more as a place for scholarly research than for keeping up on one's favorite contemporary authors. Like SVG said, if I like a guy I want to buy his book to keep him in the business. On the other hand, ol' Chuck Dickens, for example, ain't exactly hurting for money where he's at. :p

amlevin

w0rd. I see public libraries more as a place for scholarly research than for keeping up on one's favorite contemporary authors. Like SVG said, if I like a guy I want to buy his book to keep him in the business. On the other hand, ol' Chuck Dickens, for example, ain't exactly hurting for money where he's at. :p

Then of course, there are contemporary authors(?) like B. H. Obama. Do you really care if there is a place that sells HIS books?

Last edited:

Trigger Dr

Then of course, there are contemporary authors(?) like B. H. Obama. Do you really care if there is a place that sells HIS books?

I have a copy of his book in my survival kit. It is to be used for toilet paper and fire starter.

Metalhead47

Yes, even he has the right to publish his thoughts (and even make a profit for it :eek:). Whether or not there ought to be enough demand for a private bookseller or even a library to stock it is another matter altogether.

I have a copy of his book in my survival kit. It is to be used for toilet paper and fire starter.

No good for TP. It's already covered in BS. Too abrasive too.

sudden valley gunner

I agree Metalhead, just feeling a little jaded at many of these things being used as an excuse for what is in my opinion the yearly "property tax". I have no problems paying a tax when you buy or sell a house, but this you are broke so we are going to take your stuff away, pisses me off.

Oh and trust me technically we are all supposed to pay a yearly tax on all our property not just our land and house, T.V.'s, tools, etc.

Metalhead47

I agree Metalhead, just feeling a little jaded at many of these things being used as an excuse for what is in my opinion the yearly "property tax". I have no problems paying a tax when you buy or sell a house, but this you are broke so we are going to take your stuff away, pisses me off.

Oh and trust me technically we are all supposed to pay a yearly tax on all our property not just our land and house, T.V.'s, tools, etc.

You'll find no stauncher ally than me regarding property taxes, I hate them with a burning seething passion (and I've never actually paid any). Property taxes are how lil ol ladies get thrown out of the homes they've lived in all their lives. I think property taxes would give the founders aneurysms even faster than income taxes! Once you own something its yours dammit!

sudden valley gunner

You'll find no stauncher ally than me regarding property taxes, I hate them with a burning seething passion (and I've never actually paid any). Property taxes are how lil ol ladies get thrown out of the homes they've lived in all their lives. I think property taxes would give the founders aneurysms even faster than income taxes! Once you own something its yours dammit!

Yep I've hated them all my life, even before I "owned" anything.

amlevin

You'll find no stauncher ally than me regarding property taxes, I hate them with a burning seething passion (and I've never actually paid any).

So where do you live? Unless you live in a "tent city" or somewhere else you can pitch a tent or park a trailer for free, you actually DO pay property taxes.

When you rent a house, apartment, condo, hotel/motel room, you are paying the property tax as it is factored into the "Rent". As someone who is intimately involved in rental property, I can assure you that as property tax increases, so does the rent.

What I would like to see WA State adopt is a similar program as exists in Arizona (and other states as well) where the value of a piece of property is established when you purchase it. That is the basis for all future property tax and it remains such until it is sold. This provides the homeowner two benefits. If they choose to stay in the property for a long time they aren't faced with tax creep. The other is that the Sale Price is the most accurate method of assessing a tax. The method used in WA, where comparable values based on similar property sales has too many chances for error as well as the possibility that Assessors inflate values in order to generate more revenue. This would keep "little old ladies" from getting kicked to the curb. If they and their husband bought the place sometime after WWII for $5,000 and today it's worth a million bucks, all the taxes they would have paid was on the basis of the original purchase price. When they die however, the heirs would have to pay on the basis of current value.

Do I see another "Tim Eyman Initiative" in this? Maybe soon.

sudden valley gunner

A yearly tax on something you owe is just sickening no matter how you look at it. And unconstitutional in my opinion. I would rather have a larger one time tax similar to sales tax, when a property is sold or bought, and that is it. If the state and localities can't budget within that than too bad.

skiingislife725

A yearly tax on something you owe is just sickening no matter how you look at it. And unconstitutional in my opinion. I would rather have a larger one time tax similar to sales tax, when a property is sold or bought, and that is it. If the state and localities can't budget within that than too bad.

The gov't basically co-owns the property with you, that's why they can tax you every year. Same thing with our cars. If we had allodial titles to our properties, then it'd be different. And I think allodial titles would be the proper way to do it for the most part. The problem though is that what you do on your property affects the person on the next one (i.e. - you dump used motor oil onto your land...it gets into the water supply).

amlevin

You receive services yearly from your City, County, and State don't you? Why not pay yearly?