• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

planning a trip to Colorado

aosailor

Hey everybody! I currently live in NC where OC is perfectly legal w/o any type of permit. I do not have a CCW, CHP, etc. I am planning a trip to Loveland in a few weeks. I will be there for about a month for school. can I get help with a brief overview about y'alls state laws for OCing? this is a last minute trip and I have a ton of details to iron out before I leave. I really dont have much time to do some hardcore research about your laws. Thanks in advance!

Gunslinger

No open carry in Denver County. Legal everywhere else with usual exceptions that are far fewer than NC. Loaded, concealed car carry legal everywhere in the state--including Denver. Enjoy our state! IF you had a NC CCW it is recognized in CO.

aosailor

thanks for everyone's advice. for some reason I can't open some of the links posted. (my internet here at the cabins is too slow). so I'm still not sure about the particulars about where I can't OC. is it possible for y'all to give me a list or something?

ie: bars, movies, parks, gov buildings.... stuff like that. were can I not carry?

Dynamite Rabbit

You can't open carry:

Anywhere in Denver

On public transportation, loaded

In public buildings and property posted against open carry

In the state Capitol building

In private businesses that are posted.

You can carry in bars, churches, parks that aren't posted.

You can find the Colorado Revised Statutes online. Title 18, Article 12 is firearms law. There is no law that specifically permits open carry, although the State Constitution affirms the right to keep and bear arms.

HTH.

Last edited:

Lady Glock

Certain counties have illegal bans against open carry. Montezuma county is one of them, but that is in the far SW corner.

Gunslinger

Certain counties have illegal bans against open carry. Montezuma county is one of them, but that is in the far SW corner.

Can you supply a citation? No county except Denver can prohibit OC, with the usual exceptions as noted above. Full state preemption on firearms laws.

Lady Glock

Can you supply a citation? No county except Denver can prohibit OC, with the usual exceptions as noted above. Full state preemption on firearms laws.

I lived there. Went to the store, had my CCW, open carried since I finally felt comfortable doing so. By the time I got to the checkout, several people had called 911 on me. Surrounded by 6 police. Asked if there was a problem. They looked at my OC. I got my permit out. They told me in Montezuma county, OC is not allowed. Since I had my CCW, I was to conceal.

Called my instructor. He told me the ban was not legal, but still had to be case tested. I am a single mother and could not afford to be the test case.

JamesB

I lived there. Went to the store, had my CCW, open carried since I finally felt comfortable doing so. By the time I got to the checkout, several people had called 911 on me. Surrounded by 6 police. Asked if there was a problem. They looked at my OC. I got my permit out. They told me in Montezuma county, OC is not allowed. Since I had my CCW, I was to conceal.

Called my instructor. He told me the ban was not legal, but still had to be case tested. I am a single mother and could not afford to be the test case.

I grew up there. Started carrying while I was there. I would still like to see a statute referance there.
Passing that, most of us know that cops are the worst source of knowledge of law, speciffically firearm law.

Please understand I do not mean for this to sound as an attack, I still spend a great deal of time in Montezuma County, and if this is still the policy I will be sure to take it up myself with the local boys in blue.

JamesB

I believe carrying into a posted private place is not a crime. The crime would come in if asked to leave and you refused.

Correct there sir. And the charge applicable is tresspassing. However if you simply wish to avoid all the hassle, they don't want me to carry there = I don't want to spend my time or money there.

Lady Glock

I grew up there. Started carrying while I was there. I would still like to see a statute referance there.
Passing that, most of us know that cops are the worst source of knowledge of law, speciffically firearm law.

Please understand I do not mean for this to sound as an attack, I still spend a great deal of time in Montezuma County, and if this is still the policy I will be sure to take it up myself with the local boys in blue.

I have a call in to the Sheriff's office. I have to call back in about 45 minutes. It was 2007 when I was rousted for OC. Maybe they have had their test case since then as I have spent the last hour + looking for cite for you.

I grew up there too...wonder if we know each other :D
My CCW instructor is the one who told me there was an illegal ban on the books...he suggested I push the issue, but as a single mother, I couldn't afford to be arrested and have my guns taken. I sure don't take your comments as an attack...I would like to have the proper code to cite when I comment on this, so I will take the time to get it if available!

Lady Glock

Just spoke with the sherrif's office...there is NO LONGER a ban on Conceal carry in Montezuma county!