• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Wisconsin Violent Death Stats

Flipper

Campaign Veteran
WAVE goes around the state with their guns are evil exhibit of 450 shirts representing annual firearm deaths in Wisconsin. What they don't say is that firearm suicides outnumber firearm homicides 3 to 1. Anyone know what WAVE is trying to do fighting open and concealed carry in Wisconsin. Prevent suicide? Prevent homicide? Prevent accidents?
How about just plain prohibition.

See Figure 3, Page 7.

http://www.mhawisconsin.org/Uploads/gls/gls_violentdeath.pdf

& the WAVE 450 shirts are used this way: (how many suicides and homicides are by "assult weapons" unless they are used by a cop?)

http://www.opposingviews.com/i/time-to-ban-assault-weapons-once-and-for-all

Last edited:

Max

Clearly WAVE is not about saving lives or they would focus on mental health issues and suicides. The wave folks accuse us of being obsessed with guns. I think it is they that suffer the obsession.

HandyHamlet

Wave has about as much to do with saving lives as PeTA has to do with saving animals.

If you have the stomach for it watch the leader of Wave and the Leader of PeTA on Youtube. They are one in the same. There is a disturbing and underlying hatred in everything they say and do.

Gives me the willies.

oliverclotheshoff

obsession of firearms or obsession of lies and misinformation which would you choose hmmmmmm ill take my firearms at least those will do some good against a bad guy.

M

McX

i lover animals, ther're delicious! I dont like WAVE, they taste lousy.

HandyHamlet

'Cause if I was on the edge and I saw that blond ghoul coming at me... My first reaction would be to end it all rather than getting my giblets gnawed off by her?

Last edited:

KansasKraut

Check it out.

Here are some decent stats, which are purported to be from the FBI. I found the link from a relatively-lefty British newspaper, The Guardian. According to The Guardian/FBI, there were 144 TOTAL murders in the state, of which only 95 (95!) were committed by people using firearms, and also of which only 65 (65!!!) were committed by people using handguns. For a state with a population of (at the time) 5,539,597, that is, to me, EXTREMELY UNDERWHELMING! I mean, insert your "You'd be more likely to be killed by" line here! Where do these people get their information from? Links to both are provided below. Stats from 2009.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/news/datablog/2011/jan/10/gun-crime-us-state

https://spreadsheets.google.com/ccc?key=0AonYZs4MzlZbdGhycDRPQlN1dTBoMzJWOTk0Uk9DRVE&hl=en#gid=0

Flipper

Campaign Veteran
Thanks, my point exactly. I'm sure WAVE has its zealots, media and members of the legislature equating 450 deaths per year as murders by handgun (well, maybe a few "assult weapons" are included.) :banghead:

Last edited:
M

McX

so many things to respond to!

never had crane, but i bet all endangered species are endangered because they taste good.

suicide high amongst people like me? gee, country's going to hell, values they grew up with all are gone, dont worry about me though, i would never go alone, and the ones i'd take with are all spread out now, so i could never round them up!

never eaten a waver, no nutritional value, probably all full of tofu.

heard a good tune, they are now playing to death on the radio, one line in the song: You wont see me out the house without my 9 or .45................i resemble that remark!

Last edited:

MKEgal

Flipper said:
Lots of interesting information there.
Yes, a firearm is an efficient way of killing, both suicide & homicide... and for food.
When firearms are used to injure, the injuries are more serious & hospital bills higher. (pg. 16)
But other ways are used to kill & injure much more often, and guns are used for other things far more frequently than for killing humans.

Seeing how suicides outnumber homicides by more than 4 to 1 (pg. 4 & 6: 880 violent deaths in 2004, 650 suicide, 160 homicide) I think WAVEs focus should be on preventing suicide. That is, if they really want to prevent high numbers of violent deaths.

Then there's the little factoid that half of all women killed were victims of a spouse or significant other (pg. 5). In fact, according to pg. 10 women are more likely to be killed than men.
I think WAVE should work to empower women in their own defense, & fund counseling & support groups for abusers to overcome their violent tendancies [sp?].

According to pg. 15, numbers of hospitilizations for self-inflicted injuries run more than twice those for assault.
In fact, on pg. 16 they show that the numbers & costs for people who self-poison (overdose) vastly outnumber (almost 4:1) all other listed methods of self-injury combined.
Overdose outdoes assault by firearm 18:1 & self-inflicted firearm injuries by 86:1.
So again, to prevent pain & suffering WAVE should focus on suicide prevention, esp. by overdose.

Pg. 17 talks about hospitilization from violence...
6396 non-firearm (94.3%)
347 intentional firearm (5.1%)
43 negligent discharge firearm (0.6%)
total 6786
So again, WAVE is focussing on the tiny minority of people instead of the overwhelming majority.

It'll be nice to be able to inject these facts into discussions WAVE initiates, & in comments on newspaper articles.

Last edited:

Flipper

Campaign Veteran
I wonder if the WAVE zealots and GCNs understand that a rational and logical focus on the causes of violence is needed, not prohibition. Or does Jeri B control their thought processes?

M

McX

Pg. 17 talks about hospitilization from violence...
6396 non-firearm (94.3%)
347 intentional firearm (5.1%)

so the reality is that the majority of them are there, as someone pounded the crap out of them, so they could have used a gun, and 5% are the ones that get shot for pounding the afore mentioned crap out of another. the statistics are self cancelling by logic.