• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

New Aurora gun ordinance

entartet17

Ok, it's not that new (it was enacted July 2010) but Aurora amended Sec. 94-152 (which makes it a crime to remain upon private property while carrying after being asked to leave) and added the following language:

"It shall be unlawful for any person, carrying a firearm, to enter or remain upon any private property of another or any building or property of a commercial establishment when such property, building, or establishment is posted with notification that the carrying of firearms is prohibited."

Of course, nowhere is a definition of what constitutes "posting." The Aurora Mall prohibits carrying but they dont have it posted at every entrance and where it is posted, it's part of some long list of "rules" in some obscure corner that no one ever sees.

Gunslinger

Without specifics as to the type of posting, this ordinance is unenforceable. Is a 1"x1" post it note "posting"? Are they going to use the reasonable man theory? What if you're nearsighted or there's glare on the glass door? BS and useless waste of taxpayers' money.

entartet17

Without specifics as to the type of posting, this ordinance is unenforceable. Is a 1"x1" post it note "posting"? Are they going to use the reasonable man theory? What if you're nearsighted or there's glare on the glass door? BS and useless waste of taxpayers' money.

Exactly. Typical bureaucrats passing retarded laws.

cscitney87

Recent State Attorney General opinions and Supreme Court opinions (remember CSU) remark that the regulation of firearms is of Statewide concern and not of local concern.

No state or local laws remove a private property owners ability to ask you to leave if carrying - open or concealed.

What this Aurora ordinance does is now makes it a crime to knowingly carry a firearm onto private property where posted. It's always been a crime to carry where not welcomed - but the old way required that you are asked to leave.

So- basically - Aurora is saying you no longer have to be asked to leave - you are already a criminal if a sign is posted. In conjuncture with State Law- would they also have to post said sign on every entrance? I think so.

That's the issue to zero in on. This ordinance is dealing only with private or "business" (privately owned) property. State concealed carry laws already permit one to carry free of hassle from signage. In this case- State law would be followed as opposed to local law. I think... Just my personal opinion.

It's removing the burden of the property owner/controller asking you to leave.