• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Two questions about Loudoun County

conhntr

First i havent been on here but have been open carrying ;)

Ok was working (company will not let me carry). And was at cluade moore park. I noticed in the rec center a "guns free criminal welcome" zone sign. This building is shared with a pre-k does that put them under the school exemption? Or would the state preemption overule? I would be happy to contact them just want to be sure of the facts first.

2nd. I looked into the no-guns sign in the cemetary at balls bluff park. That portion inside the stone wall is owned/administrated by the feds VEterans affairs and so that was a bit o a dead end short of changing thier nationwide policy. But the guy that i talked to at nvrpa was very helpful and on our side.

3rd. Doing some real estate shopping. Its not qt the top of my list but beeing able to plink/hunt a bit on my land would be a plus. From what i see in loudoun county west of ashburn/leesburg as long as you are over 100yards from the nieghboors house/highway its ok to start shooting?

So if i have a 4 acre property im looking at west of rt15 anything else i need to check on to make sure i can hunt/shoot (in addition to basics good backstop/standard gun safety rules)

conhntr

Ed when you go in the main doors facing the front desk look left there is a huge billboard and under prohibited tobacco, guns, alchohol.

epilogue

3rd. Doing some real estate shopping. Its not qt the top of my list but beeing able to plink/hunt a bit on my land would be a plus. From what i see in loudoun county west of ashburn/leesburg as long as you are over 100yards from the nieghboors house/highway its ok to start shooting?

I did a lot of digging on this topic in Prince William county so I could shoot on my parent's lot, and it's basically 100 yards away from anything, period (except the house you're actually at of course).

I'd double check with the loudon co regs but I doubt they are much different than PWC.

http://www.loudoun.gov/Default.aspx?tabid=1352#684.99 Discharge of Firearms said:
b. The discharge of firearms is prohibited within 50 yards of a highway in the primary or secondary system of state roads.

c. The discharge of firearms is prohibited within 100 yards of any public park or school. Nothing in this section shall be enforced within a national or state park or forest or wildlife management area.

d. The discharge of firearms is prohibited within 100 yards of a building with a current occupancy permit unless the owner or authorized agent has given permission.

e. This section does not apply to the following actions:

(1) Any shooting or discharge of firearms upon a lawfully established target, trap or skeet range;

(2) The discharge of firearms by any duly authorized peace officer or law enforcement official acting in the proper performance of his duties;

(3) Any shooting or discharge of firearms upon a target range operated by any police department or other law enforcement agency;

(4) Any discharge of firearms in defense of one's life or to kill a dangerous or destructive wild animal;

(5) The discharge of blank cartridges in theatrical performances or sporting events or at military funerals or other military affairs; and

(6) A managed hunt to control the deer population under the supervision of the federal, state or local law enforcement or game management officials.
(Ord. 01-02. Passed 4-16-01).

The only snag would be neighbors calling in for noise disturbance.

Last edited:

epilogue

The funny thing about that suggestion is...
In France where gun control is more strict but different, it's considered bad manners to shoot in settled areas without a suppressor.

And here, you're an assassin/mobster/some other BS from hollywood on the way to a hit if you are seen with one.

All American Nightmare

First i havent been on here but have been open carrying ;)

Ok was working (company will not let me carry). And was at cluade moore park. I noticed in the rec center a "guns free criminal welcome" zone sign. This building is shared with a pre-k does that put them under the school exemption? Or would the state preemption overule? I would be happy to contact them just want to be sure of the facts first.

2nd. I looked into the no-guns sign in the cemetary at balls bluff park. That portion inside the stone wall is owned/administrated by the feds VEterans affairs and so that was a bit o a dead end short of changing thier nationwide policy. But the guy that i talked to at nvrpa was very helpful and on our side.

So if i have a 4 acre property im looking at west of rt15 anything else i need to check on to make sure i can hunt/shoot (in addition to basics good backstop/standard gun safety rules)
Better idea MOVE SOUTH

conhntr

Find me a decent job down there and i would!

So 100 yards from anything the property is 4 acres so that shouldnt be an issue and im just talking shoting for an hour or two on saturdays, what is the dtp 808 rules? I thought va was pretty lax except after dark

conhntr

What exactly is yalls plan when you give up nova aka richmonds cash
Cow. You will need to start paying taxes down there!

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
What exactly is yalls plan when you give up nova aka richmonds cash
Cow. You will need to start paying taxes down there!

Just make more shine to balance the budget. Besides, when we get rid of NOVA, which sucks up most of the money anyway, we'll be dollars ahead.

We don't need taxes. I gave McDonnell my "Pay2Pee" Plan.

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
Peter nap you really beliv nova is a net ($) loss for the state?

That discussion could take weeks and fill volumes. In short....no, that's mostly my boyish humor that has the simple "I hate NOVA" attitude.

The long-short answer is that NOVA is really not part of Virginia.

Not all Novarians are disgusting Yankees that shouldn't be in my state or immigrants that are here illegally or Novacops who have their heads up North:lol:..actually the opposite. Some darn good people live there. Most by choice because that's where they choose to work.

This doesn't involve them. Everyone has to make their own choices.

It's a lot more complicated than that. NOVA takes whatever it can get it's hands on and what it gives back is alien and poison to rural Virginia.

Taken as a whole though, I could live quite nicely if the Iron Curtain was pulled.