• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Illinois CCW HB 148 (Family and Personal Protection Act)

Superlite27

I have noticed that a bill establishing CCW in Illinois (HB 148) has entered committee, yet I haven't seen it being discussed here. Have I missed it? I would think this would be a fairly hot topic in the Illinois forum.

What I gather is the Family and Personal Protection Act (HB 148) has been read and has entered the Agriculture and Conservation Committee. After reading about the bill here:

http://e-lobbyist.com/gaits/IL/HB0148

I have noted who has signed on as a sponsor. From the current list of sponsors, I have noted that 6 of them are on the Agriculture & Conservation Committee:

Brandon W. Phelps
Lisa M. Dugan
David Reis
Dan Reitz
Keith P. Sommer
Patrick J. Verschoore

Wouldn't it be a good idea for members in the Illinois forum to contact the others on the Agriculture & Conservation Committee and start bending their ears?

(The committee members and their contact info can be found here:http://www.ilga.gov/house/committees/members.asp?committeeID=209)

It looks like it has a scheduled hearing on Feb 15th at 1:00p.m. in Capitol Building Room 122B

posted here: http://www.ilga.gov/legislation/Bil...B&DocNum=148&GAID=11&SessionID=84&LegID=54713

Is anyone going?

What's the outlook on this bill? Since 6 of the co-sponsors are on the Committee, doesn't this look favorable that it will be introduced on the floor for a vote? Are any of you Illinoisians staying on top of this? Am I missing something?

Last edited:

Gunslinger

With that d*** quinn as governor and the democraps controlling the state legislature, ain't going to happen. Chicago is the capital of Illinois until the people wise up. They reelect a crooked pos to the governorship and keep the daley cronies in control of the state. At least they have a Republican in obooba's old seat.

devildoc5

With that dick quinn as governor and the democraps controlling the state legislature, ain't going to happen. Chicago is the capital of Illinois until the people wise up. They reelect a crooked pos to the governorship and keep the daley cronies in control of the state. At least they have a Republican in obooba's old seat.

The important thing, win or lose, is to make sure that the representatives know that the PEOPLE support this bill. Letters (real ones with stamps and envelopes) are most effective. Emails and phone calls can also work. Perhaps, depending on fund raising/budget, one could get some advertisement time and make something up about how this will make IL safer and inform them to let their representatives know that they support it?

A simple radio ad on talk radio is not more than a few hundred bucks last time I checked....

However whether the funding is there or not is irrelevant, EVERYONE needs to not only contact their representatives, but also needs to let their friends and family know to contact their representatives. The more people politicians realize support something the more LIKELY they are to follow the peoples wishes in hopes of getting reelected (not always but it increases the chances at least).

Also remember that if the bill does not pass in this legislative session there is always the pressure to be put on your representatives to draft a new bill (heck you can even take the one that didn't pass and try and get them to resubmit it under a different number)

Keep the pressure on them!

press1280

It's usually the committee chairperson in charge, they can desk-drawer any bill they don't like and/or are afraid of. In many states with Dems in control, the chairpersons will be rabid anti-gunners(in safe districts) and won't let it come to a vote because they know the NRA will target those who vote against them.
Can't speak for IL, but my hunch is this is the exact situation in IL. You could have all members of the committee be co-sponsors of the bill, and still have it go down due to the committee chair.

Last edited:

junglebob

There are now 13 sponsors to the bill. I know my state rep supports right to carry, he has introduced bills in the past. The bill needs enough votes to overcome a veto by the governor who doesn't support right to carry. The number needed is getting closer. On March 10 there will be Illinois Gun Owners Lobby Day in Springfield, we've been going there urging legislators to enact right to carry legislation, last year there were 7500 people attending, probably be over 10,000 this year we will be contacting legislators about gun bills we ask them to vote for and against. The first Illinois Gun Owners Lobby Day had 500 people, this is year 6 I believe. IllinoisCarry.com is very involved with this, has been for years. The NRA Illinois lobbyist is on the IllinoisCarry.com/forum and keeps us up to date on legislation. We are getting closer to being a "free state". If you are interested there is a forum there. There will be buses going from all parts of the state to Springfield for the Lobby Day.

Gunslinger, I wouldn't say never. A lot of down state democrats are pro right to carry in Illinois.

Last edited:

junglebob

It's usually the committee chairperson in charge, they can desk-drawer any bill they don't like and/or are afraid of. In many states with Dems in control, the chairpersons will be rabid anti-gunners(in safe districts) and won't let it come to a vote because they know the NRA will target those who vote against them.
Can't speak for IL, but my hunch is this is the exact situation in IL. You could have all members of the committee be co-sponsors of the bill, and still have it go down due to the committee chair.

The committee chair is a co-sponsor of the bill.

devildoc5

The committee chair is a co-sponsor of the bill.

Actually Kurt Granberg is the commie chair (yes that was intentional) and he is not a co-sponsor of this bill.

Brandon Phelps, the author of the bill, is not only the vice-chair, but is also (shocked face) a democrat.....

It seems as though this bill would have a reasonable chance of making it past the committee at least. Which is more than the people of IL have had in a while.

I will be following this as I have a "permanent residence" there and would like to go back eventually....(if this bill or one like it passes)

junglebob

Actually Kurt Granberg is the commie chair (yes that was intentional) and he is not a co-sponsor of this bill.

Brandon Phelps, the author of the bill, is not only the vice-chair, but is also (shocked face) a democrat.....

It seems as though this bill would have a reasonable chance of making it past the committee at least. Which is more than the people of IL have had in a while.

I will be following this as I have a "permanent residence" there and would like to go back eventually....(if this bill or one like it passes)
Don't know where you got the information that Kurt Grantberg is the chair. The Illinois General Assembly website says it is Lisa Dugan, a democrat and sponsor. It says Verschoore is the vice chair, a democrat and sponsor If a change has been made the website hasn't been updated. Dan Reitz and Thomas Holbrook are democrats also and sponsors of the bill. Contrary to what people may think democrats in Southern Illinois often sponsor right to carry bills. John Bradley often does. The problem is the north east Illinois, particularly Chicago, legislators. Be they democrats or republicans they are often our foes. For what it is worth I'm not a democrat. Many of the democrat legislators outside Chicago are not the problem its the leadership, governor and northeast legislators.

Gunslinger

There are now 13 sponsors to the bill. I know my state rep supports right to carry, he has introduced bills in the past. The bill needs enough votes to overcome a veto by the governor who doesn't support right to carry. The number needed is getting closer. On March 10 there will be Illinois Gun Owners Lobby Day in Springfield, we've been going there urging legislators to enact right to carry legislation, last year there were 7500 people attending, probably be over 10,000 this year we will be contacting legislators about gun bills we ask them to vote for and against. The first Illinois Gun Owners Lobby Day had 500 people, this is year 6 I believe. IllinoisCarry.com is very involved with this, has been for years. The NRA Illinois lobbyist is on the IllinoisCarry.com/forum and keeps us up to date on legislation. We are getting closer to being a "free state". If you are interested there is a forum there. There will be buses going from all parts of the state to Springfield for the Lobby Day.

Gunslinger, I wouldn't say never. A lot of down state democrats are pro right to carry in Illinois.

As well as DuPage County, McHenry, parts of Lake and Cook, etc., away from Chicago. I'd love to see it happen, being born and raised in IL, but really think you guys lost the chance when the pos was reelected governor. Still, good luck!

devildoc5

Don't know where you got the information that Kurt Grantberg is the chair. The Illinois General Assembly website says it is Lisa Dugan, a democrat and sponsor. It says Verschoore is the vice chair, a democrat and sponsor If a change has been made the website hasn't been updated. Dan Reitz and Thomas Holbrook are democrats also and sponsors of the bill. Contrary to what people may think democrats in Southern Illinois often sponsor right to carry bills. John Bradley often does. The problem is the north east Illinois, particularly Chicago, legislators. Be they democrats or republicans they are often our foes. For what it is worth I'm not a democrat. Many of the democrat legislators outside Chicago are not the problem its the leadership, governor and northeast legislators.

I got that info from the ilga link the op posted...

So I am not too sure where you are getting your info and why it is different from mine....

Seems kinda weird that the ilga site would have two different pieces of conflicting information....

junglebob

I got that info from the ilga link the op posted...

So I am not too sure where you are getting your info and why it is different from mine....

Seems kinda weird that the ilga site would have two different pieces of conflicting information....

You are right it is weird, use the link that is on the first post and it says Grantberg is chair for the 97th assembly. I google the Illinois General Assembly and get ilga.gov go to house ilga.gov/house The URL when I get to the Agriculture & Conservation Committee is the same right down to asp?committeeID=209. I did go to Dugans information and under committees it said info not set for 97th Assembly. Who is right?

devildoc5

A
You are right it is weird, use the link that is on the first post and it says Grantberg is chair for the 97th assembly. I google the Illinois General Assembly and get ilga.gov go to house ilga.gov/house The URL when I get to the Agriculture & Conservation Committee is the same right down to asp?committeeID=209. I did go to Dugans information and under committees it said info not set for 97th Assembly. Who is right?

Ummm.....I wish I could tell you... I plan on devoting sometime Wednesday to calling around and talking to the assemblyman and state senator from my "home of record". And talking to them about passing this bill....

junglebob

I'll be interested in what you find out. Will you be in Springfield on March 10 for Illinois Gun Owners Lobby Day (IGOLD)? I see your location as Lakewood Washington, do you have a second home there or haven't you updated your location? I expect there will be 10,000+ gun owners in Spingfield that day talking to their legislators about gun legislation. I plan on going, it is a great event. Buses will be going from all over the state. Otis McDonald of McDonald vs. Chicago, talked to us last year as well as some legislators favoring LTC.

Last edited:

TyGuy

I see that it has pre-emption, but is it a shall issue or may issue?

I also don't care for the training requirements, nor the lack of reciprocity, but I would take a shall issue law at this point, and then push to loosen the restrictions and add reciprocity later. Just like AZ going from permitting to constitutional carry, one step at a time.

I think a shall issue pre-emption RTC law would be a huge step forward for IL.

devildoc5

I also don't care for the training requirements, nor the lack of reciprocity, but I would take a shall issue law at this point, and then push to loosen the restrictions and add reciprocity later. Just like AZ going from permitting to constitutional carry, one step at a time.

Just got off the phone with my state representative (who is a cosponsor of this bill).

He has already recognized the lack of reciprocity and is actually drafting a separate bill all together that he said should be getting a first reading within the next week or so. (don't hold your breath too long though as these things take time)

He informed me this bill will be a separate bill that will deal SOLELY with reciprocity. He told me this was actually better because that way IL residents have 2 different chances of getting CC. He explained that the bill will include reciprocity on the scale of IA's reciprocity or IN's. (anything from another state is good pretty much).

He will also be sponsoring another bill to request an audit of the FOID process and all pertinent records from the state police. Some of us know how the whole FOID thing can be pretty FUBAR'd.

This is also the representative that wrote HB1163 which will allow muzzleloaders during open deer season....

So there is light at the end of the tunnel (hopefully) there is just now 2 different avenues of approach, kind of a divide and conquer type of deal.

Also HR148 now has 20 sponsors. Looks to be getting a good amount of approval from the politicos. The biggest goal now is going to be ensuring enough votes to override the inevitable veto that will happen....

Last edited:

devildoc5

See my other post above in addition to this one.

shall issue the applicant a concealed firearms permit

It would appear to my untrained eyes that this is Shall-issue as stated above.

The bill also provides for preemption as you noted above.

Looks like this is going to be an exciting year.

Dont forget to get everyone you know (and even some you dont know) to call their representatives and demand they support this bill.

Gray Peterson

Founder's Club Member - Moderator
Folks,

Keep pushing for this bill. It may not be OC friendly but it's a great step in the right direction for folks to be able to carry for their personal protection, and it's better than what we have now, which is nothing.