• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Illinois CCW HB 148 (Family and Personal Protection Act)

LT PETERSEN

HB 148 not heard in NE Illinois

You know what's sad? I live in Chicago and had to live with King Daley telling me whats best for me. I am also a past police officer in the burbs of Chicago.
I have been pro gun rights all my life.
Yesterday is when I first heard about HB 148. TV and radio has been quiet about it until I heard the idiot mayor say something about it. And I watch the news 3 times a day. Talking to friends they didn't even know about it.
My question is why hasn't Chicagoans been informed? Cook County and the surrounding counties kill our rights and the fight needs to start here.

Ted

press1280

Keep this going folks. If it gets out of committee, then I'd expect it to pass. Of course, the governor's veto is the problem. Let's hope you don't have some weasels that vote for it initially, then switch on the veto override.

devildoc5

I highly recommend everyone go the the link the op posted about the committee hearing...on there it has a list of when sponsors were added and when they were removed.

If your representative was removed I would suggest you blow their phones up and ask how much the brady bunch payed them to change their vote.

Or you could be more diplomatic about it...

My point is this bill now has 32 sponsors but would have over 40 if sponsors did not get removed...I think we need to spearhead this and get those wafflers back on our side...

Superlite27

O.K. Folks! The bill is set for another hearing today at 2:00 p.m.

Is anyone going? (You do know they allow public input during these hearings correct?)

Do you Illinoisians really want CCW? Or are you just waiting in the wings with fingers crossed?

Here is a good spot to keep an eye on its progress. (If you are physically, and geographically unable to attend in person, such as myself.) Besides, I'm from Missouri. I already carry. (But I'm with you Illinoisians in spirit. I'd like to return and visit the state I was born in, someday...when I can defend myself there.)

http://www.ilga.gov/legislation/Bil...GAID=11&DocTypeID=HB&LegId=54713&SessionID=84

cmlewis184

HB148 passes legislative committee!

SPRINGFIELD, Ill. • A measure that would allow Illinois residents to carry concealed handguns in public passed a legislative committee Tuesday, setting up what some proponents say will be a watershed debate on the Illinois House floor in the coming days....

http://www.stltoday.com/news/local/...cle_7d26953c-c7b1-5ae4-9d28-5fe19e193398.html

I heard about this on WLS-AM last night. At least they're covering this story.

trailblazer2003

attachment update

Looks like some additions to the original bill: Nice to see preemption added to the mix. Course Chicago will object even more now.

http://www.ilga.gov/legislation/Bil...GAID=11&DocTypeID=HB&LegId=54713&SessionID=84

Home Rule Note (Dept. of Commerce & Economic Opportunity)
HB 148 does pre-empt home rule authority.

Fiscal Note (Illinois State Police)
The fiscal impact for HB 148 is as follows: The Firearms Services Bureau (FSB) would need the additional personnel and equipment: three additional personnel and equipment required to assists sheriffs for prohibiting issues (approximately $200,000.00 salary/benefits funding required). Start up Costs (FOID Mainframe and database modifications) = $500,000; Application to apply development = $20,000; Annual Costs (3 personnel salary/benefits) = $200,000; Total Estimated Costs = $720,000.

Balanced Budget Note (Office of Management and Budget)
The overall fiscal impact to the State will be minimal in the form of some administrative costs at the State level.

lockman

State Researcher
Time to crank up the heat. Call your legislators (Illinois), hell if you are out of state call anyway and demand your right while traveling through Illinois.

HB148 is the carry bill currently on the move.

http://www.isra.org/legislation/

Especially contact the Illinois Speaker of the house:

Michael J. Madigan - District 22
300 Capitol Building 6500 South Pulaski Road
Springfield, IL 62706 Chicago, IL 60629
(217) 782-5350 (773) 581-8000
(217) 524-1794 (FAX) (773) 581-9414 (FAX)

Superlite27

Looks like some additions to the original bill: Nice to see preemption added to the mix. Course Chicago will object even more now.

Home Rule Note (Dept. of Commerce & Economic Opportunity)
HB 148 does pre-empt home rule authority.

Fiscal Note (Illinois State Police)
The fiscal impact for HB 148 is as follows: The Firearms Services Bureau (FSB) would need the additional personnel and equipment: three additional personnel and equipment required to assists sheriffs for prohibiting issues (approximately $200,000.00 salary/benefits funding required). Start up Costs (FOID Mainframe and database modifications) = $500,000; Application to apply development = $20,000; Annual Costs (3 personnel salary/benefits) = $200,000; Total Estimated Costs = $720,000.

Balanced Budget Note (Office of Management and Budget)
The overall fiscal impact to the State will be minimal in the form of some administrative costs at the State level.

So......

This means the HB 148 will create jobs! Right?

Awesome! We have an excellent opportunity to use a liberal tactic (spinning an irrellevant consequence into something more important than the direct result) against them!

This is a wonderful job creation bill!

Support Illinois CCW and help create jobs for hard working Illinoisians!

Anyone against this bill just doesn't care about Illinois workers!

Are you going to vote for those opposing this bill when they don't even care about helping put food on Illinois family's tables?

If you're against this bill, you're just hateful and mean spirited; trying to starve Illinois families by killing jobs. Vote the hateful folks against this bill out so you can help bring jobs to Illinois!

Last edited:

ComradeV

Campaign Veteran
I called and spoke with The Honorable Mr. David Harris (R) of the 66th district. He was very supportive of the right to carry for Illinois citizens. I suggested to him that we simply use an an endorsement on the Driver's License or State ID instead of a creating a new card for IL citizens to carry and also that we should have Lifetime issue available like in Indiana.

He then advised me that he would working to change the bill to give issuing authority to the Illinois State Police instead of the County Sheriff.

We agreed that giving that responsibility to the Sheriff of Cook County (Tom Dart) was a terrible idea given his track record.

CraigC178

Just a heads up.

The NRA's contract lobbyist in Springfield posts regularly on illinoiscarry.com. He has repeatedly told us that the current text of hb148 is a place holder and that it does not reflect the text that will be in the bill at the third reading. When he has his ducks in a row it will go back through the Agriculture Comittee to be amended.

This will hopefully be within a week. Until then, the few people who know what will be in the actual bill are playing their cards close to their vests. There's no sense in hinging the anti's fuel to fight the bill.

From what I have heard it just might be a LTC, not a CCW... Keep your fingers crossed & keep calling, emailing, snail mailing your rep, Speaker Madagin, & Gov Quinn.

JimMullinsWVCDL

State Researcher
The bill also needs an amendment to honor all other states' licenses as long as the person is not an Illinois resident and amend the FOID statute accordingly. Every state surrounding Illinois (with the exception of Wisconsin, which is likely to act later this year) unilaterally honors all other states' licenses. The bill should also provide the State Police the legal authority to enter into written reciprocity agreements with states that require written agreements (Ohio & West Virginia); the lack of similar provisions in Iowa and Indiana have hindered the recognition of their licenses in some other states.

CraigC178

The bill also needs an amendment to honor all other states' licenses as long as the person is not an Illinois resident and amend the FOID statute accordingly. Every state surrounding Illinois (with the exception of Wisconsin, which is likely to act later this year) unilaterally honors all other states' licenses. The bill should also provide the State Police the legal authority to enter into written reciprocity agreements with states that require written agreements (Ohio & West Virginia); the lack of similar provisions in Iowa and Indiana have hindered the recognition of their licenses in some other states.

Not going to happen. From what I hear the lack of reciprocity was a concession to the police chiefs' association. Without support from them and the sgt's we wouldn't be as close as we are now. But don't fret... A bill to address reciprocity would not need the super majority that HB148 does.

junglebob

Michigan doesn't honor any other states non-resident LTC so for the Illinois resident they are as bad as Illinois, (right now) I have a non-resident Utah and Pa LTC and they recognize neither. They don't issue a non-resident LTC either. BTW, There is a bill in the Illinois legislature to recognize all other states LTC, in addition to HB148 the Illinois LTC bill.

Last edited:

JimMullinsWVCDL

State Researcher
Well, we now no longer need to amend the FOID statute, thanks to the Illinois Supreme Court's unanimous decision in People v. Holmes holding that resident licenses to carry in other states are valid in lieu of a FOID card under Section 2(b)(10) of the FOID Card Act.

Last edited:

lockman

State Researcher
A 2A friendly church could certainly challenge that in court. Church/state issues, private property issues, equal protection issues.