Thread: Officer convicted in off-duty gun incident

Officer convicted in off-duty gun incident

http://www.jsonline.com/news/milwaukee/115953209.html

A jury convicted Jorge L. Madrigal, 25, of four misdemeanors: disorderly conduct, operate firearm while intoxicated and two counts of intentionally pointing a gun at a person, according to online court records.
    How about aggravated assault and why not felony counts?
    Last edited by protias; 02-11-2011 at 03:54 PM.
    No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms. Thomas Jefferson (1776)

If you go into a store, with a gun, and rob it, you have forfeited your right to not get shot - Joe Deters, Hamilton County (Cincinnati) Prosecutor

I ask sir, what is the militia? It is the whole people except for a few politicians. - George Mason (father of the Bill of Rights and The Virginia Declaration of Rights)

Regular Member oliverclotheshoff's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by protias View Post

cops dont commit felonies i thought you knew that
    SCOTT

"When guns are outlawed only outlaws will have guns"

"When seconds count police are minutes away"

"Dialing 911 only takes seconds but waiting for help may take the rest of your life"

http://g2-elite.com/phpbb/index.php Shed Hunting

Quote Originally Posted by oliverclotheshoff View Post
    cops dont commit felonies i thought you knew that
    Oh, many of them do commit felonies, it is whether or not they get charged and convicted with them...

If you go into a store, with a gun, and rob it, you have forfeited your right to not get shot - Joe Deters, Hamilton County (Cincinnati) Prosecutor

I ask sir, what is the militia? It is the whole people except for a few politicians. - George Mason (father of the Bill of Rights and The Virginia Declaration of Rights)

I guess it depends on what he was charged with. Do we know the official charge from the DA? The jury only determines the guilt or the innocence of the charges before them.

I doubt the DA/Court System would allow such "minor" infractions to be punished to the fullest extent of the law especially against one of their own.
    "In a court trial half the lawyers are wrong." - Captain Nemo

"[There is] a duty in refusing to cooperate in any undertaking that violates the Constitutional rights of the individual. This holds in particular for all inquisitions that are concerned with the private life and the political affiliations of the citizens." - Albert Einstein

gunowners.org ~ lp.org ~ downsizedc.org ~ oathkeepers.org ~ campaignforliberty.com/usa/WI/ ~ goooh.com

oh, and the story should be posted in the No Need For a Gun? thread also. Can you imagine being "the other man in the vehicle"?

"[There is] a duty in refusing to cooperate in any undertaking that violates the Constitutional rights of the individual. This holds in particular for all inquisitions that are concerned with the private life and the political affiliations of the citizens." - Albert Einstein

gunowners.org ~ lp.org ~ downsizedc.org ~ oathkeepers.org ~ campaignforliberty.com/usa/WI/ ~ goooh.com

Had the people in the other car been carrying, they probably would have shot the off-duty cop out of rightful fear for their own lives. Then they would have been in quite a situation to explain how they had to shoot a cop in self-defense. Unfortunately this would receive even more scrutiny than a private citizen shooting a private citizen in self-defense. Sad, but the justice system protects the justice system employees way more than anybody thinks. The fact that he's no longer an LEO is surprising to me given how much they can get away with. Just retrain them and all the problems are solved, right?

Quote Originally Posted by smithman View Post
    Had the people in the other car been carrying, they probably would have shot the off-duty cop out of rightful fear for their own lives. Then they would have been in quite a situation to explain how they had to shoot a cop in self-defense. Unfortunately this would receive even more scrutiny than a private citizen shooting a private citizen in self-defense. Sad, but the justice system protects the justice system employees way more than anybody thinks. The fact that he's no longer an LEO is surprising to me given how much they can get away with. Just retrain them and all the problems are solved, right?
    Had the other people in the car been carrying, it would have been unloaded and encased

my money is on him getting transferred to another PD in another state/town hence the misdemeanor charges not felony. The thin blue line is getting thinner by the day.

McX
    looks like he got lucky, but to me a criminal with a badge is still a criminal.

Quote Originally Posted by smithman View Post
    http://forum.opencarry.org/forums/sh...nounce-himself

About 15 years ago, had a cop tell me it's only illegal if you get caught. Hmmmmm...

I had to add this one to it all...
    http://www.jsonline.com/news/milwaukee/116094309.html

Looks like it only took Flynn about three years to fire this one. But I guess he was only a rapist. Oh, I'm sorry, I guess 16 is the new 18... My bad...
    And Ed Flynn wants his troops to knock me to the ground, and see if I have a right to open carry...

Quote Originally Posted by AaronS View Post
    I had to add this one to it all...
    http://www.jsonline.com/news/milwaukee/116094309.html

Looks like it only took Flynn about three years to fire this one. But I guess he was only a rapist. Oh, I'm sorry, I guess 16 is the new 18... My bad...
    And Ed Flynn wants his troops to knock me to the ground, and see if I have a right to open carry...
    That "man" is disgusting! I couldn't even read more than a few paragraphs.

Flynn aint no saint either....How quick they forget he's one for not
    keepin it his pants.

LR Yote
    *NOTE: No Longer under the tyranny of Milwaukee County.

Watch your thoughts; they become words.
    Watch your words; they become actions.
    Watch your actions; they become habits.
    Watch your habits; they become character.
    Watch your character; it becomes your destiny.
    - Frank Outlaw