• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Seattle PD's "Problem Child"

amlevin

Someone once posted in this forum that "bad police officers don't last long". They must not have been talking about Officer Shandy "I'll beat the Mexican P!$$ out of you" Cobane.

Kiro TV has obtained an interview with a subject that went so far as to seek a restraining order against this officer. Also has video:

http://www.kirotv.com/news/26826763/detail.html

that shows a confrontation between Officer Cobane and the same subject while the subject was handcuffed and later in a cell. This video all occured AFTER the officer was administratively reassigned for his inability to keep his mouth under control in the other televised incident.

Apparently it takes a while for Seattle PD to "weed out" those who aren't good representatives of the department. He's been reassigned once, what next?

Wonder what his opinion is on OC and how he behaves when encountering a citizen who exercises this right?

BTW, these incidents appear to have occured almost a year ago and SPD is "still investigating"?????? Don't want to move too quickly, apparently.

Last edited:

amlevin

Truthfully, it bothers me that a person with that sort of temper and that much lack of control carries a weapon and is given police powers...

I could not agree more.

But gentlemen, remember how we were all told her on this Forum that "problem cops don't last long". I guess we just need "long" to be defined. Is it kind of like "dog years" where one of theirs is 7 of people years?

joeroket

But gentlemen, remember how we were all told her on this Forum that "problem cops don't last long". I guess we just need "long" to be defined. Is it kind of like "dog years" where one of theirs is 7 of people years?

Trust me when I say I know how long "long" means when used in both contexts. I have seen it take as little as a few months to as long as 25 years to weed out the bad ones, and I have seen it from the LEO side.

sudden valley gunner

Well it's only fair to let them build up a bigger pension before "weeded out". :banghead:

Well there are many examples Amlevin, a P.I. article I posted showed that. There are good cops but if the good ones keep rationalizing and sticking there head in a hole like an ostrich, they are doing no good for what is a problemed culture.

I spent a morning last weekend reading some officer forums. There were good voices in there but a large number of the posts and how they felt about civilians (especially) OCers made me sick.

joeroket

Well it's only fair to let them build up a bigger pension before "weeded out". :banghead:

Well there are many examples Amlevin, a P.I. article I posted showed that. There are good cops but if the good ones keep rationalizing and sticking there head in a hole like an ostrich, they are doing no good for what is a problemed culture.

I spent a morning last weekend reading some officer forums. There were good voices in there but a large number of the posts and how they felt about civilians (especially) OCers made me sick.

Your comment about pension is, in some cases, right on the money. There was a Capt. with one of my local PD's that was ordering a Sgt. to harass a couple of officers that were out n medical leave for injuries. It took almost three years to do something about it after the complaint. I firmly believe it took that long because when they finally went to punish the Capt. he was eligible for retirement. They gave him the option to retire or be terminated. The Sgt. was placed on non-payed leave for 30 days for his role in it.

I know one issue with SPD that is changing and in my opinion, as well as some of the officers, will alleviate a some of the mis-deeds the officers are doing very quickly. It is not going to be a quick fix but the street supervisors are working on it because most of them are just as upset about it as we all are.

Dave_pro2a

That was AWESOME!

Sadly, it is extremely unfunny when you start to look at the psychological profile of those who do police work. The profile is actually (in general) not too far off from the psychological profile of criminals.

Last edited:

Trigger Dr

Sadly, it is extremely unfunny when you start to look at the psychological profile of those who do police work. The profile is actually (in general) not too far off from the psychological profile of criminals.

Set a thief to catch a thief

Jeff Hayes

Can you cite a study on this or any other work to support this?

I did a paper in a Psychology class back in 71 or 72 on Law Enforcement personel, got an A. The short story was at if a person wanted to be in law enforcement they sould not be allowed to.

Dave_pro2a

Can you cite a study on this or any other work to support this?

No. I had an in depth discussion on the topic with a licensed therapist -- meaning that they have a Masters of Psychology degree from an accredited college/graduate program.

They did cite studies, facts, etc. Since it's not my field of study... the finer details went in one ear and out the other, but the main point stuck like glue.

DEROS72

What forums did you read ?I'd like to take a look.

sudden valley gunner

On the mentality of cops I saw a program on Discovery, talking about how brains of criminals work. They did all these scans of criminals and they all were active in one section of the brain, I was thinking oh great, they are going to try and tell us we need to have leniency because they are born this way.

They then concluded the show by showing LEO have the exact same brain patterns. I have looked for this show or links to the study and have not found it.

oneeyeross

"AGGRESSIVE SOCIOPATHS derive strong, yet nonperverse gratification from harming others. They like to hurt, frighten, tyrannize, bully, and manipulate. They do it for a sense of power and control, and will often only drop subtle hints about what they are up to. They polish their aggressive, domineering manner in such a way to disguise any intimidation others might feel. They seek out positions of power, such as parent, teacher, bureaucrat, supervisor, or police officer. Their style is one of passive aggression as they systematically go about sabotaging the ideas of others to get their ideas in place. In their spare time, they like to hunt or occasionally do sadistic things like find stray dogs and cut them up. They are usually effective at getting their way, and are especially vindictive if resisted or crossed. They don't follow the social norm of reciprocity like others do."

http://www.angelfire.com/zine2/narcissism/antisocial_sociopath_psychopath.html

I found this to be an interesting statement..."They seek out positions of power, such as...police officer." Not surprising, really. What is troubling is that it takes so long to get rid of one, and only after such great damage to the department and its reputation. Why do the rest of the policemen put up with it? Oh...wait....there's a union. I keep forgetting.