• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

RESOLVED: Prattville, AL Bass Pro Shop now allows open carry!

eye95

One of our posters on ALOC just received a letter today from BPS. Here is a quote of his post:

Anthony said:
Got this today.

Mr. Xxxxx,

Thanks you emailing me about your concerns. Rest assured that Bass Pro Shops supports your Second Amendment rights. We have always allowed individuals to carry concealed weapons on our premises. Recently, our policy on brining firearms into the building was called into question. After careful research, we found that we had been misinformed on the legality of open carry in Alabama.

When the store opened in 2007, whomever the store consulted on firearms laws for Alabama misinformed the store that open carry was not legal, and that one had to have a permit to carry on land not his own. After it came to our attention that this may not be true, a letter was dispatched to the chief law enforcement officer of Elmore County. After more than a month, a response was received confirming that open carry is permissible in the state of Alabama.

The store’s procedure is now as follows:

Holstered handguns, open carry weapons or concealed, may be carried by customers into our store. However, if the weapon is going to be drawn from the holster, the weapon will need to be cleared and locked, by a trained associate, in the clearing box at the greeter’s station in our front entrance. Handguns, which are hand-carried into the store (not holstered), will need to be cleared and locked. There is no change to our procedures with long guns, as all long guns will be cleared and locked.

I do hope that our alteration of store procedures adequately addresses your concerns. If you have further questions please feel free to give me a call here at the store. Thanks.

Xxxx X. Xxxxxx

General Manager

Prattville, Alabama

It seems the holdup was the sheriff. However, in the end, he was forced to admit that OC is legal in AL. That musta hurt his pride.

bigtim6656

that sucks, their normally my go to store for hunting stuff when cabelas is to high, or I am on a budget. Further more our place in key largo is 50 miles from two stores :banghead:

bigtim6656

I say ohh boy who was thrown out needs a gift card, or a I am sorry for being a dumb a** from the manager :lol:

Fallschirjmäger

The deputy teaching the Bass pro shops "it's the law" seminar last year at the one outside Mobile AL, said he would arrest anyone carrying openly in there for trespassing. He said flat out said he could write up a encounter creatively to give him RAS. And he said you would be arrested with no warning from the business if they had a no firearm sign up. See the it's the law thread in the AL sub forum. The flat-out hostility toward OC and ignorance was incredible from this academy training officer.

I wonder how that Deputy would feel if someone were to "creatively" word a complaint to his superiors, or "creatively" word a legal suit?
That he would be "creative" tells me just about all I need to know with regards to his honesty and integrity.... or lack thereof.

Last edited:

eye95

Great post, excellent resolution, superb followup. Kudos to Alabama OC and Mr. eye.

I merely kept you all informed and sent one of the myriad of emails. Others deserve the credit for this victory.

BTW, several of us are going to spend some money at this BPS while OCing Thursday, Noonish.

Gunslinger

The deputy teaching the Bass pro shops "it's the law" seminar last year at the one outside Mobile AL, said he would arrest anyone carrying openly in there for trespassing. He said flat out said he could write up a encounter creatively to give him RAS. And he said you would be arrested with no warning from the business if they had a no firearm sign up. See the it's the law thread in the AL sub forum. The flat-out hostility toward OC and ignorance was incredible from this academy training officer.

Then he would be "creatively" committing perjury in court and could "creatively" end up in jail himself and sued for abuse of process. What a dick. And people wonder about 'anti' cop attitudes.

eye95

Thanks to whoever changed the thread title. Considering the outcome, the new thread title is so much more appropriate than the original one.

TFred

It is illegal in many states to "be at a demonstration while carrying a firearm". I know NC has a law like that and I'm pretty sure VA does, too. I don't have a copy of it right offhand, but I remember reading it somewhere...
I don't know of any such law in Virginia... I'm pretty sure I would have heard about it by now if there was...

TFred