Thread: Hello new to OC

Hello new to OC

Hello i am new to open carry and will be buying a handgun within the next month or so. i also hope to get my cpl after my 21st birthday.
    i was wondering if there is any members in the lake orion area who could give me some advice or tell me if they have had any trouble. maybe meet up and have lunch somewhere and talk about open carry and the laws.
    Thank you for any advice
    RenkaiWulf

Banned
    Welcome. I don't think it will take very long at all to find someone to meet up with. My best advice to begin with is to get some training. If the worst happens, you don't want to make it worse than that.

As far as the laws go, check out the stickies to start with. This one is a good place to start. http://forum.opencarry.org/forums/sh...-Guide-Project

yea i have looked at all of the stickies i've been lurking for about a week so i got the gist of most of the laws
    as for training i have had quite a bit of that i've been shooting rifles since i was 10 and handguns since 14, i am now 19. i would just like to talk with an OCer who has some experience with the local PD and local shops
    Thank you
    RenkaiWulf

Banned
    Ok good then. By your first post, I wasn't sure if this were your first gun and you planned on just carrying it. I've seen that before. Are you planning on OCing before you get your CPL? If so, there are a few things we should go over first, if not, then things are a lot simpler to discuss. Here is a really excellent quick reference chart that WARCHILD made.

yes i have seen and bookmarked that chart i thought i would be very useful in the future. i plan on OCing for the year and a half until i can legally obtain my michigan CPL this site is a great resource. correct me if im wrong but if a business has a liquor licence then i cannot carry, but what if i have the express written permission of the owner? there is a few places i like to go eat but they have a liquor licence even tho they do not serve any alcohol. BTW i walk there as it is near my home, so to my understanding it would be illegal unless i have the written permission of the owner or person who have leased the property.
    i also would like to ask if there is an area that has a store and, say applebees both of which have a liquor licence,but it also has an auto parts store where does the "premises" of the stores with liquor licenses end, would i be able to go into the auto parts store without violating the law?

Regular Member quarter horseman's Avatar

Welcome

Welcome to OC

Last edited by lapeer20m; 02-16-2011 at 08:56 PM.
    Quis custodiet ipsos custodes? (who will watch the watchmen?)

I am not a lawyer. Nothing in any of posts should be construed as legal advice.

i work at night so any day 3 pm or later would be fine for me i would really like to get to know some OCer's and hear of experiences talk law and just ask general questions etc
    now where abouts to meet

do you know if subway in LO is OC friendly cause i dont much care for coffee, cant stand the stuff lol but i know subway is a good place to eat and not very expensive as im still trying to save up the last 75$ i need to buy a pistol
    pm me if you would like

ok time for bed leave me a message here or pm me ill be back on when i get up
    have a great day
    RenkaiWulf
    Last edited by RenkaiWulf; 02-12-2011 at 08:13 AM.

Banned
    Outstanding, I see you have an opportunity to meet with someone of a good reputation. He will be able to answer your questions. Have you seen MSP #86? http://www.michigan.gov/documents/ms...2_336854_7.pdf

Until you get your CPL, the most important things to remember are transport, prohibited premises, and never concealing accidentally for even a second. Vehicles, including bycicles etc., are considered concealed carry. According to MCL 750.231a, the gun must be cased, unloaded, and in the trunk. If the vehicle has no trunk, it must be in a place not easily accessible to the occupants of the vehicle. The case must be designed for a firearm, and although not required, I would have a lock on the case if its not in a trunk. I think you picked up on the word "premises" in the list of prohibited places, that's good, words have meanings in law. The list of prohibited places can be found in MCL 750.234d. Violating this law, although a misdemeanor, is a 3 year prohibition on your CPL.

MCL 750.234d : http://www.legislature.mi.gov/%28S%2...e=mcl-750-234d

MCL 750.231a : http://www.legislature.mi.gov/%28S%2...e=mcl-750-231a

You can look up laws here : http://www.legislature.mi.gov/%28S%2...aspx?page=home

Banned
    One more thing, get a digital voice recorder. If possible, set yourself up with video as well.

ive been to roughly a dozen subways throughout the state,and another half dozen out of state,all with no issues.(and im also under 21) i know alot of us go to them regularly,i think it is safe to assume they are oc friendly for the most part.
    not a lawyer, dont take anything i say as legal advice.

President, CLSD, Inc., Oxford, Michigan, USA
    I live in Oxford and would be happy to meet up with you sometime. We also hold an annual picnic at the beginning of August at Seymour Lake Park. This is a great area for OC and I have never had any issues.

Since you mentioned the library I donated a copy of the Open Carry Handbook a couple weeks back. You should stop in and check it out.

PM me if you ever want to meet up.

thank you all kindly for your information
    i think that when i get my pistol i would like to meet up with someone to do my first open carry with even if its just a walk around the park or something like that im glad i have such knowledgeable ppl to help me out
    definitely interested in the picnic can u pm me details when they become available
    Last edited by RenkaiWulf; 02-12-2011 at 03:47 PM.

Banned
    Just stay on the threads, you will know when it comes up. Typically, events are posted, then the mods will sticky them. There is much to be learned by regular discussion on these boards, we hope to see you here often.

Welcome!
    "Bam, I like saying bam when I cite something, in fact I think I shall do this from here on out, as long as I remember.
    Bam!" - eastmeyers

"Then said he to them, But now he that hath a purse, let him take it, and likewise his sack: and he that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one."
    Luke 22:36
    God Bless

Welcome to OCDO...
    Only two have offered their lives for you. A Soldier and Jesus....

Im actually from the N.Pontiac area i go to LK.Orion alot so im available to tlk to u also i enjoy meeting other OC rs in the area.

Taking a CPL class would be beneficial as well. You would learn the laws, situational awareness skills, shooting techniques, and drawing your firearm from a holster. Also when you turn 21 you will have your certificate ready to turn in on your birthday.

yes taking a CPL class would be beneficial although im on a very tight budget and even saving up a few hundred dollars for the gun itself has taken me a 5-6 months so that will have to wait until i have the funds saved up for that. thanks to all of you for the warm greeting to OC

Quote Originally Posted by RenkaiWulf View Post
    do you know if subway in LO is OC friendly
    We don't ask questions like that. We just go ahead and go about our business.

Although an uncommon practice at present, open carry is legal and acceptable behavior. Our mission is to normalize the public and law enforcement to this legal and acceptable behavior. Assume it is ok, unless and until you are told otherwise by a person authorized to say so.

Welcome aboard!
    "The principle of self-defense, even involving weapons and bloodshed, has never been condemned, even by Gandhi . . ."--Dr. Martin Luther King Jr

“He who cannot protect himself or his nearest and dearest or their honor by non-violently facing death, may and ought to do so by violently dealing with the oppressor. He who can do neither of the two is a burden.”--M. K. Gandhi

"First they ignore you, then they ridicule you, then they fight you, then you win." --M. K. Gandhi