• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Hello new to OC

RenkaiWulf

Hello i am new to open carry and will be buying a handgun within the next month or so. i also hope to get my cpl after my 21st birthday.
i was wondering if there is any members in the lake orion area who could give me some advice or tell me if they have had any trouble. maybe meet up and have lunch somewhere and talk about open carry and the laws.
Thank you for any advice
RenkaiWulf

stainless1911

Banned

RenkaiWulf

yea i have looked at all of the stickies i've been lurking for about a week so i got the gist of most of the laws
as for training i have had quite a bit of that i've been shooting rifles since i was 10 and handguns since 14, i am now 19. i would just like to talk with an OCer who has some experience with the local PD and local shops
Thank you
RenkaiWulf

stainless1911

Banned
Ok good then. By your first post, I wasn't sure if this were your first gun and you planned on just carrying it. I've seen that before. Are you planning on OCing before you get your CPL? If so, there are a few things we should go over first, if not, then things are a lot simpler to discuss. Here is a really excellent quick reference chart that WARCHILD made.

ScannedImage-1.jpg

RenkaiWulf

yes i have seen and bookmarked that chart i thought i would be very useful in the future. i plan on OCing for the year and a half until i can legally obtain my michigan CPL this site is a great resource. correct me if im wrong but if a business has a liquor licence then i cannot carry, but what if i have the express written permission of the owner? there is a few places i like to go eat but they have a liquor licence even tho they do not serve any alcohol. BTW i walk there as it is near my home, so to my understanding it would be illegal unless i have the written permission of the owner or person who have leased the property.
i also would like to ask if there is an area that has a store and, say applebees both of which have a liquor licence,but it also has an auto parts store where does the "premises" of the stores with liquor licenses end, would i be able to go into the auto parts store without violating the law?

RenkaiWulf

i work at night so any day 3 pm or later would be fine for me i would really like to get to know some OCer's and hear of experiences talk law and just ask general questions etc
now where abouts to meet :)

RenkaiWulf

do you know if subway in LO is OC friendly cause i dont much care for coffee, cant stand the stuff lol but i know subway is a good place to eat and not very expensive as im still trying to save up the last 75$ i need to buy a pistol
pm me if you would like

RenkaiWulf

ok time for bed leave me a message here or pm me ill be back on when i get up
have a great day
RenkaiWulf

Last edited:

stainless1911

Banned
Outstanding, I see you have an opportunity to meet with someone of a good reputation. He will be able to answer your questions. Have you seen MSP #86? http://www.michigan.gov/documents/msp/MSP_Legal_Update_No._86_2_336854_7.pdf

Until you get your CPL, the most important things to remember are transport, prohibited premises, and never concealing accidentally for even a second. Vehicles, including bycicles etc., are considered concealed carry. According to MCL 750.231a, the gun must be cased, unloaded, and in the trunk. If the vehicle has no trunk, it must be in a place not easily accessible to the occupants of the vehicle. The case must be designed for a firearm, and although not required, I would have a lock on the case if its not in a trunk. I think you picked up on the word "premises" in the list of prohibited places, that's good, words have meanings in law. The list of prohibited places can be found in MCL 750.234d. Violating this law, although a misdemeanor, is a 3 year prohibition on your CPL.

MCL 750.234d : http://www.legislature.mi.gov/(S(f1...g.aspx?page=getObject&objectName=mcl-750-234d

MCL 750.231a : http://www.legislature.mi.gov/(S(f1...g.aspx?page=getObject&objectName=mcl-750-231a

You can look up laws here : http://www.legislature.mi.gov/(S(f141yfvzsuxvh5fcyfuuyr55))/mileg.aspx?page=home

lil_freak_66

ive been to roughly a dozen subways throughout the state,and another half dozen out of state,all with no issues.(and im also under 21) i know alot of us go to them regularly,i think it is safe to assume they are oc friendly for the most part.

Generaldet

President, CLSD, Inc., Oxford, Michigan, USA
I live in Oxford and would be happy to meet up with you sometime. We also hold an annual picnic at the beginning of August at Seymour Lake Park. This is a great area for OC and I have never had any issues.

Since you mentioned the library I donated a copy of the Open Carry Handbook a couple weeks back. You should stop in and check it out.

PM me if you ever want to meet up.

RenkaiWulf

thank you all kindly for your information
i think that when i get my pistol i would like to meet up with someone to do my first open carry with even if its just a walk around the park or something like that im glad i have such knowledgeable ppl to help me out
definitely interested in the picnic can u pm me details when they become available

Last edited: