• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

FL Open Carry Bill in Committee needs YOUR HELP NOW!

~*'Phoenix'*~

The only substantive change made by this amendment is to make the bill effective immediately upon being signed by the Governor rather than the original version's proposed effective date of July 1, 2011.

How soon might the Governer get the opportunity to sign the bill then?
I was amazed that July was even a possibility with how government works.
:D

rvrctyrngr

How soon might the Governer get the opportunity to sign the bill then?
I was amazed that July was even a possibility with how government works.
:D

It'll be a bit. This is only the first committee it needs to get through. There are two others, Judiciary and Rules.

The full session of the Legislature begins March 8.

luv_jeeps

Campaign Veteran
I emailed the appropriate people......

While I live in Colorado, I spend a decent amount of time in Florida, either visiting with friends or the parents who live in Citrus County.

~*'Phoenix'*~

Looks clean, yay!

Though we disagree on the methods we should use to achieve our shared objectives of constitutional carry, we are on the same side... I think...
I do not see fit to play with your every comment for not being in line with my personal attitudes, beliefs, or tactics, and would appreciate the same respect.

~*'Phoenix'*~

I just browsed through the FL legislature party demographics. The vote should be amazingly in our favor, unless I miscounted, house = 100 Rep to 38 Dem, senate = 38 Rep to 10 Dem. We have room for 1/3 of republicans to crap out on us and still scrape by.

However... I live right in the blazing center of liberal-ville. About 70% of the democrat representatives are from the Broward/Miami/Palm Beach triumvirate full or smart-alec-college-brat imports and urban gun-fearers.

Sorry that sounds worse than it probably is, and I'm certainly not a solid republican (almost half my votes '08 were dems or inds, but I carefully researched to make sure those I voted for were pro2A and fairly conservative; as always, it's a lesser of two evils situation).
I'm just worried about getting crucified around here if I try to enjoy my open carry rights when (what's left of sb 234) passes...

77zach

I just browsed through the FL legislature party demographics. The vote should be amazingly in our favor, unless I miscounted, house = 100 Rep to 38 Dem, senate = 38 Rep to 10 Dem. We have room for 1/3 of republicans to crap out on us and still scrape by.

However... I live right in the blazing center of liberal-ville. About 70% of the democrat representatives are from the Broward/Miami/Palm Beach triumvirate full or smart-alec-college-brat imports and urban gun-fearers.

Sorry that sounds worse than it probably is, and I'm certainly not a solid republican (almost half my votes '08 were dems or inds, but I carefully researched to make sure those I voted for were pro2A and fairly conservative; as always, it's a lesser of two evils situation).
I'm just worried about getting crucified around here if I try to enjoy my open carry rights when (what's left of sb 234) passes...

Oh, that the myth of Republicans loving liberty was true! Have you seen what's going on in Wisconsin right now? With the Dems in a hissy fit, the republicans could pass any non-spending bill they want. So will they, for example, pass consitutional carry or nullify obamacare? Not a chance. Now if all republicans were like Ron Paul, then we'd have something. Then it wouldn't be long before I could drive up a private I-75 at 90 mph with no fear of a "speeding" ticket with a pistol on my hip and no license for it. Then I could pull into a bar that serves food and allows smoking since that law has been repealed and I could remain armed the entire time-there being no government enforced "prohibited places". Then I wake up and remember what's considered a good conservative is somebody like Newt Gingrich.

~*'Phoenix'*~

yeah, listening to the podcast of the meeting. I understand and sympathize with his emotional distress, but I can genuinely and statistically argue the exact opposite position using his own arguments...

77zach

What a despicable man that father is! His daughter was killed by irresponsibility so he believe that others must be defenseless and if they don't accept it they can be thrown in a cage for their refusal. And if we don't accept being thrown in a cage, well, nothing a swat team can't fix. What a piece of filth.

Was anybody there to denounce this "man"? I live 3 hours away one way. Oh man, this makes me so angry.

~*'Phoenix'*~

And the accidnet his daughter suffered had nothing to do with cwl holders or the legality of campus carry, and this law would not have changed what happened AT ALL -- what the "shooter" did was already illegal on two or more unrelated counts = open carry/display of a firearm at a public location, manual possession of a firearm while intoxicated, (negligent) discharge of a firearm in a public/incorporated area not in self-defense or at a legal target range, and possibly rude/careless display of a firearm...

77zach

Per FloridaCarry.org people scheduled to testify for SB 234 got delayed because of fog. This is the real reason the vote was delayed.

~*'Phoenix'*~

Evers and Dockery won't back down. Again, it's Dean. I'm calling his office. We know how the two dems will vote.

Surely he is the deciding factor, but as far as I can tell, he did vote pro-2a all day for the bills they did vote on, so I expect, at least with enough calls (and, but hopefully not, with an amendment or two :cry:...) I'm pretty sure he'll vote favorablyl.

I've e-mailed and tried calling; he wasn't present, but I left a message with his secretary that I'm one of his constituents and I'm in favor of the bill.

77zach

Surely he is the deciding factor, but as far as I can tell, he did vote pro-2a all day for the bills they did vote on, so I expect, at least with enough calls (and, but hopefully not, with an amendment or two :cry:...) I'm pretty sure he'll vote favorablyl.

I've e-mailed and tried calling; he wasn't present, but I left a message with his secretary that I'm one of his constituents and I'm in favor of the bill.

Good deal. Yes, he does have a good record. Of course, he's not had opportunity to vote on something this important when it comes to gun rights. The last two times I emailed him, he wrote back personally and said he'd "keep my comments in mind." Was he really undecided? Maybe he just doesn't like commenting on stuff before it's before him in finished form. This committee vote determines it's fate. Even though a lot of the republicans are neocons, looking down the line, if it gets out of criminal justice, I really can't see it NOT becoming law.