Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How many here regularly practice?

How many here regularly practice?

How many here, who carry daily, actually have a regular practice "schedule"?

How many rounds do you shoot Weekly, Monthly, Annually?

Being retired, and a reloader, I am fortunate enough to be able to go to the range weekly. Each week sees regular practice spread among my "Long Range" rifle, AR's (I rotate among three each week), and pistol.

I shoot an average of 50 rounds in .308, 150 rounds in .223, and 100 in 9mm every week. I realize that this is at the "top of the scale" for most shooters but I consider this to be "My Hobby". Some will put their money in fast cars, others in boats or airplanes. Mine just happens to be shooting. Costs me about $75/week which is probably less than some spend on eating out, especially if there are a few drinks involved.

What kind of practice do each of you consider adequate to keep your skills "sharp"?
    "If I shoot all the ammo I am carrying I either won't need anymore or more won't help"

"If you refuse to stand up for others now, who will stand up for you when your time comes?"

I do...

I shoot about the same as you do - its well worth it - however I also find myself practicing dry fire more for trigger control etc... for those who cant afford to shoot that much (or even those who can) I'd highly recommend reading the gray guns dry fire packet... just email dryfire@grayguns.com and the auto responder will email you the packet... its a great read!

SP

Quote Originally Posted by amlevin View Post
    How many here, who carry daily, actually have a regular practice "schedule"?

How many rounds do you shoot Weekly, Monthly, Annually?

Being retired, and a reloader, I am fortunate enough to be able to go to the range weekly. Each week sees regular practice spread among my "Long Range" rifle, AR's (I rotate among three each week), and pistol.

I shoot an average of 50 rounds in .308, 150 rounds in .223, and 100 in 9mm every week. I realize that this is at the "top of the scale" for most shooters but I consider this to be "My Hobby". Some will put their money in fast cars, others in boats or airplanes. Mine just happens to be shooting. Costs me about $75/week which is probably less than some spend on eating out, especially if there are a few drinks involved.

What kind of practice do each of you consider adequate to keep your skills "sharp"?
    I shoot weekly as well. I shoot 50 rounds minimum each week through my carry gun at an indoor range. This was my New Year's resolution to myself a year ago. Fortunately, I have a membership at Champion Arms and thus it makes the visits free.

I also have a fast car.....
    Live Free or Die!

I used to shoot quite a bit but here lately the neighbors keep their dogs and cats at home.
    Cats were a challenge. The last one was on the run and I got him with my Ruger MKII.

really wish i could

Its about bi-monthly for me... I'm still young and haven't started to reload yet...

200 rounds

100 @ 20ft.

100 @ 40ft.

Then there is my "mall ninja" workout in the mountains bouncing off trees ect...
    FEG~PA 63......i call it the noisy cricket....little gun huge friggin BANG**

Quote Originally Posted by Squeak View Post
    The last one was on the run and I got him with my Ruger MKII.
    So "don't run, you'll only die tired", right?

Seems like I've heard that somewhere.
    "If I shoot all the ammo I am carrying I either won't need anymore or more won't help"

"If you refuse to stand up for others now, who will stand up for you when your time comes?"

Quote Originally Posted by gogodawgs View Post
    I shoot weekly as well. I shoot 50 rounds minimum each week through my carry gun at an indoor range. This was my New Year's resolution to myself a year ago. Fortunately, I have a membership at Champion Arms and thus it makes the visits free.

I also have a fast car.....

No, Gogo, you do not have a fast car, you have a heavy foot!
    Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful committed citizens can change the world; it's the only thing that ever does.- Margaret Mead

Those who will not fight for justice today will fight for their lives in the future,

Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote. Benjamin Franklin

bi-monthly

at least...also some trap/skeet in season...

50 rounds per trip...7yrd, 15yrds

My wife just got a Colt Automatic.22 camp gun....I may increase using it to practice controls.
    Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure, than to take rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live in the grey twilight that knows not victory nor defeat....Teddy Roosevelt

Campaign Veteran OlGutshotWilly's Avatar
    I've always tried to go at least monthly. Sometimes more if I'm working up a load, but at least monthly with 150-200 rounds through my various pistols. .38/357/44spl/both 45's.
    Unfortunately, with my eye surgery for a detached retina last June, I was seriously hampered from seeing my sights until recently,since it was my right eye. The rifles don't see near as much action than my carry pistols.

However, I do have the fast car which takes my time and money too It didn't see any track time last summer, so it's about time to get it ready for this year!
    THE SECOND AMENDMENT: Washington didn't use his right to free speech to defeat the British, he shot them.
    ---------------------------------------------
    Government is not reason; it is not eloquent -- it is force. Like fire, it is a dangerous servant and a fearful master."
    --George Washington,
    first U.S. president

I try to shoot monthly, but lately it's been more like every 2 months. I got the chance to take my brother and his new girlfriend to the range a few weeks ago and they had a blast. Shot up about 500 rounds of 9mm and 357sig. Was kind of nice to help them learn the basics since neither of them have shot pistol much, if at all.

Every two weeks...

I try to go every two weeks, when funds permit... When I do go I try and shoot at least 300 or so, again funds permitting I just live up the street from bullseye so if anyone wants to meet up for a shoot, let plan one!

Quote Originally Posted by Ruby View Post
    No, Gogo, you do not have a fast car, you have a heavy foot!
    No, both my feet weigh the same....
    Live Free or Die!

I shoot a couple of times per month. I have my own range complete with steel targets.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	targets1.jpg 
Views:	81 
Size:	97.7 KB 
ID:	5212  

Quote Originally Posted by Orphan View Post
    I shoot a couple of times per month. I have my own range complete with steel targets.
    now that's cool...

I shoot more when the weather is better. Summer it's almost every weekend. winter it's when the weather allows and I am so inclined, which is less often.
    Because the hobby has many aspects, I concentrate more on the indoor part by winter. I cast all my lead for the year in winter. I build guns more in winter. Hunt in fall, a little in winter. Come summer it will be time to tune and develop all the stuff I stored up over winter.

I shoot 100 rounds thru a PX4 Storm Subcompact and 100 rounds thru a Springfield 1911 mil spec each trip to the range. I try to go twice a month.

I also reload.

Regular Member WinchesterModel12's Avatar
    1-2 times a month when the weather is bad/cold.
    Every week when during nice/warm weather.
    Anywhere from just a few shots to several hundred at a time.
    If guns kill people......then all of mine are defective........ UNCLE TED

Man some of y'all are lucky, if not for the funds to shoot every week, then for the TIME. I'm lucky if I can get to the range once a month. Irritatingly I drive past it every Monday, but they frown on usage at 2:30 in the morn for some reson.

When I do actually get some shooting done, I don't really keep track of the number of rounds, but my ammo boxes are usually much much lighter
    It is very wise to not take a watermelon lightly.

Quote Originally Posted by Metalhead47 View Post
    I'm lucky if I can get to the range once a month. Irritatingly I drive past it every Monday, but they frown on usage at 2:30 in the morn for some reson.
    Hopefully the Legislature will OK suppressor use. Maybe with one of those you could stop and "pop off a few rounds". Also good time for "low light conditions" practice.

Hopefully the Legislature will OK suppressor use. Maybe with one of those you could stop and "pop off a few rounds". Also good time for "low light conditions" practice.
    Wouldn't help me none . You have any idea how many guns (AND AMMO!) I could buy for cost of a single suppressor? Just like machine guns or .50 BMG's, they are things I will stay away from (even if/when legal) for financial reasons1

Quote Originally Posted by Metalhead47 View Post
    Wouldn't help me none . You have any idea how many guns (AND AMMO!) I could buy for cost of a single suppressor? Just like machine guns or .50 BMG's, they are things I will stay away from (even if/when legal) for financial reasons1
    Actually, about the cost of two good pistols or one good rifle.

Kalashnikov FTW

Actually, about the cost of two good pistols or one good rifle.
    I'm an AK guy. For $1000+ I could have an AK rifle anda couple of AK pistols

Golf Balls @ 200 yards every couple of weeks. The cheap $10.00 bag from Walmart.

~Whitney
    The problem with America is stupidity.
    I'm not saying there should be capital punishment for stupidity, but why don't we just take the safety labels off of everything and let the problem solve itself?

Quote Originally Posted by Whitney View Post
    Golf Balls @ 200 yards every couple of weeks. The cheap $10.00 bag from Walmart.

~Whitney
    Do you use a driver or an Iron for those shots?

Tac Driver

Quote Originally Posted by Trigger Dr View Post
    Do you use a driver or an Iron for those shots?
    Tac "Driver" FMJHP
    The problem with America is stupidity.
    I'm not saying there should be capital punishment for stupidity, but why don't we just take the safety labels off of everything and let the problem solve itself?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast