• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

How many here regularly practice?

amlevin

How many here, who carry daily, actually have a regular practice "schedule"?

How many rounds do you shoot Weekly, Monthly, Annually?

Being retired, and a reloader, I am fortunate enough to be able to go to the range weekly. Each week sees regular practice spread among my "Long Range" rifle, AR's (I rotate among three each week), and pistol.

I shoot an average of 50 rounds in .308, 150 rounds in .223, and 100 in 9mm every week. I realize that this is at the "top of the scale" for most shooters but I consider this to be "My Hobby". Some will put their money in fast cars, others in boats or airplanes. Mine just happens to be shooting. Costs me about $75/week which is probably less than some spend on eating out, especially if there are a few drinks involved.

What kind of practice do each of you consider adequate to keep your skills "sharp"?

SigPacker

I do...

I shoot about the same as you do - its well worth it - however I also find myself practicing dry fire more for trigger control etc... for those who cant afford to shoot that much (or even those who can) I'd highly recommend reading the gray guns dry fire packet... just email dryfire@grayguns.com and the auto responder will email you the packet... its a great read!

SP

gogodawgs

Campaign Veteran
How many here, who carry daily, actually have a regular practice "schedule"?

How many rounds do you shoot Weekly, Monthly, Annually?

Being retired, and a reloader, I am fortunate enough to be able to go to the range weekly. Each week sees regular practice spread among my "Long Range" rifle, AR's (I rotate among three each week), and pistol.

I shoot an average of 50 rounds in .308, 150 rounds in .223, and 100 in 9mm every week. I realize that this is at the "top of the scale" for most shooters but I consider this to be "My Hobby". Some will put their money in fast cars, others in boats or airplanes. Mine just happens to be shooting. Costs me about $75/week which is probably less than some spend on eating out, especially if there are a few drinks involved.

What kind of practice do each of you consider adequate to keep your skills "sharp"?

I shoot weekly as well. I shoot 50 rounds minimum each week through my carry gun at an indoor range. This was my New Year's resolution to myself a year ago. Fortunately, I have a membership at Champion Arms and thus it makes the visits free.

I also have a fast car.....

Squeak

I used to shoot quite a bit but here lately the neighbors keep their dogs and cats at home.
Cats were a challenge. The last one was on the run and I got him with my Ruger MKII.

BigIrish

really wish i could

Its about bi-monthly for me... I'm still young and haven't started to reload yet...

200 rounds

100 @ 20ft.

100 @ 40ft.

Then there is my "mall ninja" workout in the mountains bouncing off trees ect...

Ruby

I shoot weekly as well. I shoot 50 rounds minimum each week through my carry gun at an indoor range. This was my New Year's resolution to myself a year ago. Fortunately, I have a membership at Champion Arms and thus it makes the visits free.

I also have a fast car.....

No, Gogo, you do not have a fast car, you have a heavy foot!:p

jt59

bi-monthly

at least...also some trap/skeet in season...

50 rounds per trip...7yrd, 15yrds

My wife just got a Colt Automatic.22 camp gun....I may increase using it to practice controls.

OlGutshotWilly

Campaign Veteran
I've always tried to go at least monthly. Sometimes more if I'm working up a load, but at least monthly with 150-200 rounds through my various pistols. .38/357/44spl/both 45's.
Unfortunately, with my eye surgery for a detached retina last June, I was seriously hampered from seeing my sights until recently,since it was my right eye. The rifles don't see near as much action than my carry pistols.

However, I do have the fast car which takes my time and money too ;) It didn't see any track time last summer, so it's about time to get it ready for this year!

irish52084

I try to shoot monthly, but lately it's been more like every 2 months. I got the chance to take my brother and his new girlfriend to the range a few weeks ago and they had a blast. Shot up about 500 rounds of 9mm and 357sig. Was kind of nice to help them learn the basics since neither of them have shot pistol much, if at all.

Johnsmith1521

Every two weeks...

I try to go every two weeks, when funds permit... When I do go I try and shoot at least 300 or so, again funds permitting:lol: I just live up the street from bullseye so if anyone wants to meet up for a shoot, let plan one!

Jeff Hayes

I shoot a couple of times per month. I have my own range complete with steel targets.

Attachments

• targets1.jpg
    targets1.jpg
    97.7 KB · Views: 89

Hammer

I shoot more when the weather is better. Summer it's almost every weekend. winter it's when the weather allows and I am so inclined, which is less often.
Because the hobby has many aspects, I concentrate more on the indoor part by winter. I cast all my lead for the year in winter. I build guns more in winter. Hunt in fall, a little in winter. Come summer it will be time to tune and develop all the stuff I stored up over winter.

WinchesterModel12

1-2 times a month when the weather is bad/cold.
Every week when during nice/warm weather.
Anywhere from just a few shots to several hundred at a time.

Metalhead47

Man some of y'all are lucky, if not for the funds to shoot every week, then for the TIME. I'm lucky if I can get to the range once a month. Irritatingly I drive past it every Monday, but they frown on usage at 2:30 in the morn for some reson.:rolleyes:

When I do actually get some shooting done, I don't really keep track of the number of rounds, but my ammo boxes are usually much much lighter :cool:

amlevin

I'm lucky if I can get to the range once a month. Irritatingly I drive past it every Monday, but they frown on usage at 2:30 in the morn for some reson.:rolleyes:

Hopefully the Legislature will OK suppressor use. Maybe with one of those you could stop and "pop off a few rounds". Also good time for "low light conditions" practice.

Metalhead47

Hopefully the Legislature will OK suppressor use. Maybe with one of those you could stop and "pop off a few rounds". Also good time for "low light conditions" practice.

Wouldn't help me none :banghead:. You have any idea how many guns (AND AMMO!) I could buy for cost of a single suppressor? Just like machine guns or .50 BMG's, they are things I will stay away from (even if/when legal) for financial reasons1;)