• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

my letter to the Editor

Iopencarry

feel free to go and add a comment

Contra Costa Times,
http://www.contracostatimes.com/letters/ci_17341769

Crime Control not Gun Control
Crime control
We do not need more gun control laws. What we need is more punishment for those who use guns in crimes.
Why punish law-abiding citizens?
Criminals do not obey the law anyhow, hence the name, so how is one more law, or a dozen more laws, going to do anything to prevent a criminal act?
Between now and the end of this year, 13,400 convicted felons will be released early from prison into society.
Since 2009, more than 1,000 police officers have been laid off due to budget cuts. More will follow this year.
Police are overworked and spread too thin to help. They will be there only to draw the white line around your body and to write the report. As good as they are, they cannot be everywhere. That they are not duty bound to protect you is another issue. Yes, you read that right. The police do not have a duty to protect you. The Supreme Court has ruled many times.
No one wants a felon or a crazed person to get a gun. But they will always be able to get one. No amount of gun control will stop this fact.
Now is not the time to take the power away from the law-abiding citizen to protect him/her self. Crime control, not gun control.
Dale Paris
Oakley
Paris is the founder and president of Contra Costa Open Carry.