• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Up Nort Wisconsin Open Carry Day and fun shoot.

CalicoJack10

OK, here is what is tentatively planned for the north woods Open Carry get together and possible Fun Shoot/Fund Raiser. The only people I have left to contact about this is the VVA to see if we can use their range on Hwy 51 in Arbor Vitae. But the plan goes as this:

Saturday, April 30th, mid day, at Bad Bones BBQ in Minocqua we are thinking about a meet, greet, and eat. This will be an open carry event, and the first real get together that I know of in this area.

Sunday, May 1st, 10 A.M. at Caywood Shooting Range (Just north of northern lights Harley Davidson) on highway 51 in Arbor Vitae, we will do a fun shoot Calico Jack style. We will have shooting events and contests as well as a 50/50 raffel, and other fun stuff. This will not be an official fundraiser, but will be a chance to Fun Shoot to help raise money to be donated to the Lakeland Area Special Olympics. This is mainly because they have a tough time raising money for the programming. This is a bring your own gun and bring your own ammo event. I will check up on the licensing and what not on Monday, and I will put up the info as soon as I get it. In the event that we need licensing for this event, we will require "At your own risk" waivers for all shooters. Again, I will update this information as soon as I have it.

I am working on sponsors for the shooting event, and will provide information to anyone willing to help with sponsorship or volunteering. For the fun shoot we will need 6 station volunteers, and at least 3 registration volunteers. If you have any ideas or questions post them here and I will get back to you asap. Thanks.

Calico Jack

CalicoJack10

So here is the plan for the "Fun Shoot"

This is just a very rough draft of what I was thinking, and I am sure there will be some revisions. Did I mention that this is a very rough draft? As far as being too far away, I am sure that I know of at least 1 hotel in the area that is "Firearm Friendly" and I am betting I can get deals on the rooms.

Junior Rifle
$5 entry fee, competitors use a .22 caliber rifle at 25 and 50 yard targets. 10 shots at each target, top 3 scores will have trophies. Parent must be present, eyes and ears will be provided by parent. Ages 12 to 14, and 15 to 17 will be grouped together.

Junior Pistol
$5 entry fee, competitors use a .22 caliber pistol at 25 yards. 10 shots at each of 2 targets, top 3 scores will have trophies. Parent must be present, eyes and ears will be provided by parent. Ages 12 to 14, and 15 to 17 will be grouped together.

Historic Rifle
$10 Entry Fee, Any rifle with the exception of Muzzle Loaders can be used as long as it was produced before 1950. This will include military type rifles and sporting/hunting rifles. Any caliber is welcome, and the firearm must be in good working order with new production ammo or hand loads. The firearm and ammunition will be inspected by a Gunsmith, Firearms Instructor, or Range Safety Officer prior to use in this contest. Specialty modern optics or sighting devices not from the rifles period of manufacture will disqualify said rifle. Top 3 shooters will receive awards. Targets will be at 50 and 100 yards, and 5 rounds will be fired at each with no spotter or coaching.

Modern/Hunting Rifle
$10 Entry Fee, Any modern hunting rifle with any modern scope of sighting device is allowed. Rifles must be no smaller than .223 in caliber. All 50BMG, and .338 Lapua rifles will not be allowed to compete due to the fact that these are military calibers and are not common among the average hunter. Any caliber between .223 and .338 Lapua is welcome, and the firearm must be in good working order with new production ammo or hand loads. All firearms must fit into the "Hunter" category and use of specialty and precision rifles is not allowed. The firearm and ammunition will be inspected by a Gunsmith, Firearms Instructor, or Range Safety Officer prior to use in this contest. Top 3 shooters will receive awards. Targets will be at 50 and 100 yards, and 5 rounds will be fired at each with no spotter or coaching.

Pistol
$10 Entry Fee Pistol will be 1/2 scale silhouettes at 25 yards. The firearm and ammunition will be inspected by a Gunsmith, Firearms Instructor, or Range Safety Officer prior to use in this contest. Top 3 shooters will receive awards. Targets will be at 25 yards, and 10 rounds will be fired at each of 2 targets with no spotter or coaching.

Clay Pigeon
Not good with clays so I will need some help with this one.

1 Shot Contest (Scoped Rifle Only)
$25 Entry Fee, Any rifle, any scope, any caliber under 50 BMG. 1 shot at a tennis ball suspended by a shoe string at 100 yards. First round will have no time, second round will have a 10 second limit on it, third round will have a 5 second limit on it. Rifle may be loaded, and shooter may be seated, but the rifle must be laid on the shooting bench and on safe, and the shooter must have their hands on their head until "GO" time sounds.

Muzzle Loader
$10 Entry Fee, This will be divided into 2 divisions, modern and antique. Modern will include scoped and new production/non replica arms shot at 50 and 100 yards, and antique will include replica or old production arms with no scope and only iron sights shot at 25, 50, and 100 yards. The 100 yard target will be optional for antique class. The firearm and ammunition will be inspected by a Gunsmith, Firearms Instructor, or Range Safety Officer prior to use in this contest. Top 3 shooters will receive awards. 2 rounds will be fired at each target with no spotter or coaching.

On top of that I am betting that I can do a donation bucket, and this is not set in stone yet, but would be a start. Aside from this, it is always fun to get out to the range with good people. And the open carry meet and eat should be just as good as getting to the range!

Last edited:

protias

Well, for me, there is also an issue of transportation since my car got totaled last Sunday and I don't know what my job situation will be come mid May. :(

CalicoJack10

Well, for me, there is also an issue of transportation since my car got totaled last Sunday and I don't know what my job situation will be come mid May. :(

Well that really sucks. Maybe things will work out and you will be able to get up here anyway.

I have also decided to add "Precision Shotgun" to the mix. It will be $10 to enter and targets will be at 50 and 100 yards.

Just a thought, this is a FUN SHOOT, just cause there will be contests, does not mean we will not still have a regular range day. I just thought the contests could raise a few bucks for special olympics.

Lurchiron

Did the State Patrol put the Malachi Crunch on it???

Last edited:

rcawdor57

Campaign Veteran
I will try to make it...Sounds like fun!

It is 300 miles each way so I will have to make it a three day event. I should be able to make it unless I am away on business.

CalicoJack10

I was looking through the news this morning and ran across this. Here is how it relates to this event.

All of the funraisers for Special Olympics in this area are food related. Some examples are bake sales, and teh Packers vs. Bears game where food is sold to those that attend to raise money for Special Olympics.

This comes about (in my opinion) because these events clearly compete with the profits of one of our local (well to do) families catering companies. A member of said family works in the town offices for Vilas County.

This effort further cuts into the ability for the Special Olympics to raise money for funding their events. You can read the article here http://www.lakelandtimes.com/main.asp?SectionID=9&SubSectionID=9&ArticleID=12641. As you can see this is an attempt for those that are already making enough money to be greedy and take away from some athletes that have a tough time raising the money they need for their programming already.

CalicoJack10

OK, it is official, we are doing the Open Carry day at Bad Bones BBQ in Minocqua on April 30th 2011, from noon to ???.

Bad Bones BBQ Inc.
224 Milwaukee St
Minocqua, WI 54548

The fun shoot is planned for the following sunday. The VVA has allowed us to close the range for a "Private Event" and we have RSO's and at least one gunsmith that will be on sight (not sure if he will be working or shooting). The shoot will be at:

Caywood Memorial/VVA Range
Hwy 51 North
Arbor Vitae, WI 54568

Due to the cost of licensing we will not be doing pay events, it will be a fun shoot with a donation bucket/box. Hopefully we can work out a second fundraiser for later in the summer.

The AmericINN in Minocqua is on the island and is only a couple blocks from the BBQ place. They also have some of the best rates in town in you need a hotel for the night. They are at:

AmericINN
700 Hwy 51 North
Minocqua, WI 54548
(715) 356-3730

Hope to see all of you there.

protias

If you do another one later in the summer, I could probably attend that one. A long distance drive with my current car will not be a good option. :(

CalicoJack10

I am sure we can do another OC day (I would like to see it turn into like a monthly event at least), and the fundraiser is something I am already planning. I am hoping to turn this into an Annual Event. The Special Olympics up here is so broke they almost didnt get to go to the basketball regionals from what I understand.

Wolf1477

Yer about an hour and a half away, sounds good, couple quick questions tho. (please excuse me if the answers are somewhere above and I missed 'em)

1) Is there any age limit on the events? (as in 18+?)
2) Anything you'd like for us to bring? (dish to pass, soda, etc for the Sunday event?)
I've been to any number of various GTG's and each seems to have their own "want" list.

Thanks,

Sam

CalicoJack10

Yer about an hour and a half away, sounds good, couple quick questions tho. (please excuse me if the answers are somewhere above and I missed 'em)

1) Is there any age limit on the events? (as in 18+?)
2) Anything you'd like for us to bring? (dish to pass, soda, etc for the Sunday event?)
I've been to any number of various GTG's and each seems to have their own "want" list.

Thanks,

Sam

There is no age limit, as long as there is a parent/guardian there with the kids, and I am a sucker for talking to old war vets (Even got to shake the hand that was once shook by Patton himself) so there is no upper age limit either.

As far as bringing anything Sunday, I am still working on the list of things that I need for the event, but the plan is to have buckets there for donations, and we are looking to sell cans of soda and bottles of water. Basically, this is just going to be a bunch of shooters getting together and donating a few dollars to a good cause, but since there are business names attached to it, the guns will be function checked (don't worry, I am a gunsmith and we might have one more there), and there will be an "I am responsible for myself" waiver. Not that I can think of ever needing one, but I have to because of the sponsors.

Cant wait to meet everyone. It gets me all butterflied and Chit thinking about getting out for a real fun shoot. It has been sooooooo long since the last time I got............ to have this kind of fun.

Wolf1477

Sounds good then. It'll probably be two of us coming, if you need us to bring anything let me know. Just make sure ya got Dt. Dew for purchase<g>.
Also, if anyone else is in the Ladysmith area, and needs a ride, feel free to shoot me a line. Should have plenty of room in the truck for one or two more people...rifle cases can ride in the bed.

Sam

Nutczak

The Northwoods, lakeland area, Wisconsin, USA
A correction is needed;
the restaurant is located at;
201 W. Milwaukee St.
Minocqua, WI 54548

Between the Thirsty Whale, and T. Murtaughs pub, on the corner of Milwaukee and Flambeau, directly across the street from the 'Campanile Center for the Arts"

Indoor seating is limited due to the federal ADA laws, but hopefully it will be a nice dry sunny day so the outdoor seating can also be used.

CalicoJack10

I don't know where I came up with 224, I was even looking at your website while I was typing it. But some how I managed to botch that. lol