• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Buying shotgun at Cabelas

Russf

So this afternoon I was at cabelas and found a shotgun i liked. It was a used one and got a good deal. I am going on a snow goose hunt on thursday the 17th and wanted this gun for the trip. I filled out the paperwork for it and the guy goes in the back to call it in. He comes back about ten minutes later and tells me that the application is on hold up to the 17th. I asked him why this would be on hold since this is a shotgun and not a pistol, he had no answer. Anyone have any ideas or ever hear of app on hold for a long gun?

kwarnimo

Only thing I can think of is that you got a 'Delay' response from NICS - 3 business days from the following day. So yes - unless Cabelas is told earlier that they can transfer the gun, the soonest you can pick it up is the 17th (monday/tuesday/wednesday are the 'delay' days)

GlockMeisterG21

Campaign Veteran
It most often happens due to a system overload. People are getting their tax returns, buying guns, and increasing BC traffic. This time of year and around "Opening Day" for various hunting seasons seem to be the most common.

Flipper

Campaign Veteran
I would say its the ATF trying to show how "understaffed" they are (federal budget time) I always give my SS #. (What an evil term :cuss: ) .

How effective is the ATF and the instant checks in getting crime guns off the street? An example:

From http://johnrlott.blogspot.com/2011/02/media-matters-incompetently-discusses.html#comments

Quote:

"Over 99.9 percent of those purchases initially flagged as being illegal under the law were later determined to be misidentified. Take the numbers for 2008 (http://www.ncjrs.gov/pdffiles1/bjs/231052.pdf), the latest year for which data are available. The 78,906 initial denials resulted in only 147 cases involving banned individuals trying to purchase guns. This is before the stage where prosecutors look at the case to see if there is enough evidence to bring a case. Of those 147 cases, prosecutors thought the evidence was strong enough to proceed on only 105, and they won convictions in just 43. But few of these 43 cases stopped career criminals or those who posed real threats. The typical case was someone who had misdemeanor convictions for an offense he didn't realize prevented him from buying a gun."

Last edited:

AaronS

I have had this happen a couple of times. I have a common last name and sometimes on weekends and Mondays i have been delayed.

My last name is Sky. Not so common I think...

I have been hearin of this a little more often as of late.
Not quite sure what to make of it....
LR Yote

Scares the hell out of me. When it happened to me on my last, I was just baffled. I have no record at all. Feel free to check. Never had any issue at all in the past at the same store. Hell, I thought the forum posts might have put a flag on my name (Gov. does see all), still kind of do think this...

It most often happens due to a system overload. People are getting their tax returns, buying guns, and increasing BC traffic. This time of year and around "Opening Day" for various hunting seasons seem to be the most common.

All my dealer could think of was that the fed. system was backed up... Thats a real funny thought... A government computer (or system), that gets a back log on records requests... Guess we should pay more taxes, so the government can get better systems.

And you have to even ask what a permit system for carry might become...?

Last edited:
M

McX

Aaron, you look a little salty to me, maybe you'd better give me your guns for safekeeping.

Russf

Thanks for all your input. I guess i was just blowing off a little steam. The thing that sucks is im leaving on the 17th for my goose hunt, we are leaving at 6:00am and they do not open until 9:00am and if they do not call back sooner I will not have the gun to use. Maybe I will ask the manager at cabelas if I could pick it up before store hours on the 17th. I'll give him a sob story or get a hot girl to flirt with him to open it up for me. Maybe I can pick it up wednesday night. AHHHHHHHHHHHHH.................................!

The British are comming the British are comming................sorry sir you will have to wait three business days to pick up your muzzle loader......

Nutczak

The Northwoods, lakeland area, Wisconsin, USA
Ever since the advent of the NICS check, I get delayed, every time, no change.
Not a few minutes either. It takes longer than 10 business days in many cases. My last handgun purchase took 3 weeks and 2 days to get approved.
My name is not a common name, there are only 2 other with my same last name in this entire country.

The seller has the option of transferring the gun to you if they do not get an answer from NICS within 3 business days. Some will transfer, some will not. it is at the sellers discretion. But if you do get a denial back, you could probably expect many people dressed in black tactical gear to enter your home unannounced a short time afterwards and take all of your firearms and you with them to an undisclosed location.

You can apply for a NICS pin # to expedite future purchases, I may do that due to my situation.

When a check is run, within 48 hours after you are allowed to proceed, all records must be destroyed, with the pin#, you are allowing them to retain records so you will always get an immediate approval because the entire search does not need to be done each successive time, they just check for new disqualified reasons allegedly.
So, maybe this was the plan all along? registration by proxy? delay everyone, force them to get pin#'s, and then they can legally keep purchase histories

protias

Aaron, you look a little salty to me, maybe you'd better give me your guns for safekeeping.
ackbar_its_a_trap.jpg

HandyHamlet

Going through the same thing here. Been one business week and nothing.

I've had a FIOD card since I was 21 so I would think I could pass a check up here...

Last edited:

ArcticF7SnoPro

I seen this happen to a fellow this December when I went down to Cabelas to pick up my gun. I filled out my paper work and was told it would take a little while for them to call it in so I walked the store for a bit. After checking everything out I got back in line behind a guy and his child who also appeared to be buying a shot gun. He told them his name and info to get his gun and after that the employee seemed confused as to what was going on and had checked with a few other employees and the manager as with what was happening. After about 15 minutes of confusion from the staff they ended up telling the guy he had to check back in three days and they could not give him an explanation why. He was pissed since it sounded like he had came pretty far to get his gun and he was locked into the purchase.

As I was witnessing this I thought great, I just drove over 2 hours down here on a week night to get my AR and I am going to be irate if I go through the same thing. I stepped up to the counter and gave them my name and info and walked out of there with my gun 15 minutes later with no hassle. You would think that if this was due to a system backup or since it was just before Christmas I would have had the same issue's, but I had no problem when this guy did. Now I have no idea about that dudes record and all I know is that mine is good, but it seemed really odd at the time and now reading your story it really makes me wonder what the real purpose is for this?

Russf

I seen this happen to a fellow this December when I went down to Cabelas to pick up my gun. I filled out my paper work and was told it would take a little while for them to call it in so I walked the store for a bit. After checking everything out I got back in line behind a guy and his child who also appeared to be buying a shot gun. He told them his name and info to get his gun and after that the employee seemed confused as to what was going on and had checked with a few other employees and the manager as with what was happening. After about 15 minutes of confusion from the staff they ended up telling the guy he had to check back in three days and they could not give him an explanation why. He was pissed since it sounded like he had came pretty far to get his gun and he was locked into the purchase.

As I was witnessing this I thought great, I just drove over 2 hours down here on a week night to get my AR and I am going to be irate if I go through the same thing. I stepped up to the counter and gave them my name and info and walked out of there with my gun 15 minutes later with no hassle. You would think that if this was due to a system backup or since it was just before Christmas I would have had the same issue's, but I had no problem when this guy did. Now I have no idea about that dudes record and all I know is that mine is good, but it seemed really odd at the time and now reading your story it really makes me wonder what the real purpose is for this?

I have a clean record also, i bought my pistol about 8 months ago and had no problem....

Nutczak

The Northwoods, lakeland area, Wisconsin, USA
Clean record here, just always get a friggin delay! the GF get sinstant approval every single time.

This is why I have never made a purchase at a gun show, most dealers are from far away parts of the state that I would either need to drive to to get my gun, or pay shipping on top of a $75.00 FFL transfer fee (normal rate in my area for an FFL transfer)
I had to pass on a batch of AR stripped lowers I found at an amazing price once. Why? because the transfer dealer wanted to charge me $75.00 for each lower, it would have doubled my cost, and where is the deal in that for $750.00 in transfer fees alone

rcawdor57

Campaign Veteran
Nah. Paranoia!

Great advice; if he doesn't have a NICS flag by his name now he sure will after that strategy.... :banghead:

Nah, I wouldn't worry about that at all. I've bought many guns from different dealers on the same day. I go from dealer to dealer and buy what interests me with no background checks completed. There is nothing illegal with going to another store to buy another gun. The NICS check has NOT been denied and there is no reason for it not coming back right away approved or disapproved, therefore there is nothing wrong with going to another dealer. Been there, done that, got my gun(s).

Friend of mine got "delayed" and the NICS never came back approved after two weeks at "Store A". I suggested he go to "Store B" and buy his gun. Store B runs NICS check and it passed immediately. Store A never got an approval after three tries and two weeks. Sometimes it just happens and we cannot let the system scare us into thinking we are marked as criminals. The only way to find out is to go to another dealer and go for it.

Added: Just added this to be sure that anyone reading this realizes I did NOT pick up ANY guns from any dealer until the NICS checks and/or WI handgun checks were completed.

Last edited:

HandyHamlet

Update:

My check went through, took a week. Good thing for the mandatory waiting period.
Unfortunately I lost the firearm in a flood today.