• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Open Carry Dress Code

Syst3m Ov3rrid3

Hey everyone :] I'm Steve, new to this forum and the idea of UOC. I'm definitely pro-UOC and I support UOC'ers 100%

You know its kinda sad I never really knew about my Second Amendment Rights until after I turned 22... or at least never remembered til then.

My question is, when you UOC do you have a certain Dress Code to go by or do you dress any other way you would if you were unarmed? Any comments welcome. :)

-Steve
Baldwin Park, CA (626)

hgreen

SBOC recommends:

As a member of SBOC you are expected to present yourself in a professional manner. When representing SBOC members are expected to:

Dress and act appropriately
Practice firearm safety
Obey the law
You represent SBOC when wearing SBOC apparel or when attending SBOC events. We certainly recognize the individuality of all of our members, but also recognize the importance of presenting a unified front to the public and to the news media. All members shall adhere to these guidelines when representing SBOC.

Professional Attire

There is a general expectation at SBOC events that members will be appropriately dressed. SBOC does not wish to impose a strict dress code on its members, but recommends SBOC apparel or at least business casual attire for events. Clothing that promotes political candidates or an agenda outside of those promoting the Second Amendment or other legal gun-owner rights or issues is not acceptable. We must be aware of how we are perceived and of the possibility that an image could be taken out of context and used to defame SBOC, its membership, and its goals.

http://www.southbayopencarry.org/about/

devildoc5

While I can see the virtue in what the above poster stated I must agree to disagree.

The whole goal of OC and this website is to NORMALIZE firearms in everyday life, by responsible law abiding citizens.

I have noticed that those who dress like they are on a "power lunch" while OCing get less hassle from PD in various states.

I have also known people who are "dirty grungy nasty rockers with long hair and beards" who OC on a daily basis and are more safe and proficient with their firearms than 95% of PD are. (estimated figure no scientific study to refer to)

So like I said originally, the goal of OCDO is to NORMALIZE OC. You should ideally be wearing whatever you would normally wear. If you are a coat and tie kind of guy continue doing it, if you are and jeans and at shirt kind of guy continue with that. Just be yourself and be normal.

But bear in mind that perception, unfortunately in most cases is deemed to be reality, so people (including police) may look at you differently depending on what you are wearing.

Gundude

In my family, I decide all the important stuff, like who is President, should we be in the UN, do we go to war, should we go to the Mars, etc.
My wife decides stuff like what house we live in, what we eat, what kind of car we drive, where the money is spent, and what I wear.

devildoc5

Right I completely understand the rules and how to act properly. I just want to know personally what most of you UOC'ers wear when you go out?

Like I said previously it all boils down to what you wear normally.

That being said I would not recommend "hip hop style" of dress.

And contrary to popular belief it is not because of the stigma often associated with it. It is actually because it makes it even more difficult to hold your pants up when there is a giant piece of steel/aluminum/polymer hanging from it...

Syst3m Ov3rrid3

And contrary to popular belief it is not because of the stigma often associated with it. It is actually because it makes it even more difficult to hold your pants up when there is a giant piece of steel/aluminum/polymer hanging from it...

I'm a computer nerd lol, i dress very nerdy too. Shorts, T-Shirt, Dickies Shoes with Black Socks. Thought about just dressing with a nice shirt and regular shorts once I UOC.

Syst3m Ov3rrid3

Thats usually what I'll wear if its cool outside. A polo and shorts. Yeah definitely how you act is important. I seen some videos on YouTube about Open Carry and some people go to challenge the Police about their knowledge and start a issue. Simple as letting them know you're UOC and they can inspect your firearm is enough. If an establishment wouldn't want me there I would ask if that pertains to just my UOC or Period. There's a boundary you have to draw a line about just complying with the laws and regulations and challenging police authority. But then at what point do you stand up for your rights and speak up.

devildoc5

Thats usually what I'll wear if its cool outside. A polo and shorts. Yeah definitely how you act is important. I seen some videos on YouTube about Open Carry and some people go to challenge the Police about their knowledge and start a issue. Simple as letting them know you're UOC and they can inspect your firearm is enough. If an establishment wouldn't want me there I would ask if that pertains to just my UOC or Period. There's a boundary you have to draw a line about just complying with the laws and regulations and challenging police authority. But then at what point do you stand up for your rights and speak up.

The most important thing that I have found is that if a business asks you to leave POLITELY state "You know that open carry is legal in this state right?" As you are leaving for the door. Do not try and argue with them or explain your position to them after they have asked you to leave. That could be considered trespassing which can result in some pretty messed up penalties.

Other than that just be yourself and treat everyone with respect.

Syst3m Ov3rrid3

I'm glad I'm not tied down lol. I was watching some of the youtube videos where California Pizza Kitchen banned UOC's from entering their establishment. You'd think a big gun presence would make them feel more secure about their "Family" orientated business. Has anyone tried Dave N Busters?

devildoc5

I'm glad I'm not tied down lol. I was watching some of the youtube videos where California Pizza Kitchen banned UOC's from entering their establishment. You'd think a big gun presence would make them feel more secure about their "Family" orientated business. Has anyone tried Dave N Busters?

the problem with your comment is that "Propaganda wood" is what most people believe to be the truth. And they say that only cops and bad guys have guns.

So that must be the truth right? :eek::eek::eek:

devildoc5

Propaganda Wood? Unfamiliar with that.

It is located in the area formerly known as Los Angeles. They are well known for the propaganda they put out in regards to many things, such as declining of morality through increased display of overt sexual perversions, their almost bewildering rate at which they focus at least once a year on the holocaust, and dont forget the idea they LOVE to propagate the most. That of guns are bad and so are the people that use them.

They usually accomplish this propaganda through what is poetically referred to as "moving pictures"

Last edited:

realityfatality

It is located in the area formerly known as Los Angeles. They are well known for the propaganda they put out in regards to many things, such as declining of morality through increased display of overt sexual perversions, their almost bewildering rate at which they focus at least once a year on the holocaust, and dont forget the idea they LOVE to propagate the most. That of guns are bad and so are the people that use them.

They usually accomplish this propaganda through what is poetically referred to as "moving pictures"

i like the way you think devildoc5 :)

for the most part i think the other posters have summed it up, but..
What the hells a dress code? dress functional, that's all that matters. don't look at people like you have something to hide, look right past 'em like it's no big deal. if your person doesn't stand out your firearm doesn't stand out, simple as that. just be yourself and pretend you're not carrying until ya need it.

Last edited:

Born2Lose

The closest i have to a "dress code" when i UOC is to make sure what i wear won't cover up my firearm or magazines AND i don't wear any of my "offensive" t-shirts. Most of them are just funny or clever but if i UOC in a plain black t-shirt whatever..but if i show up in my "revenge is easy" shirt with an AR-15 on it people might take it the wrong way.
My closet looks like Superman's closet, but instead of 50 red and blue suits its black t-shirts. I literally do not wear any other color or t-shirt.

EDIT: If i wore "professional attire" while UOCing people would immediately call the cops. They would wonder why that guy with a gun is acting so nervous, sweating, fidgeting, etc.

Last edited:

wrightme

Dress the way you are comfortable.

Do understand that how you appear will create a distinct impression in the minds of others, and as OC is not a universally-accepted reality in the eyes of the public, image can make a difference; in either direction.

Last edited: